Convince me about running

Options
124»

Replies

• marinegirl92
    marinegirl92 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Maybe consider "pace" running - that's running for a bit and walking for a bit. As your endurance increases so do your intervals. You don't have to go all in as you start. Start small maybe 1min run/ 1 minute walk; then 2/1; then 3/1.... or ????? whatever your goal is - YOU CAN DO THIS!

Maybe also consider smaller duration runs - you don't have to run x # of miles to start. Start with 5 minutes to start see how you feel, maybe 7 minutes a few weeks later - YOU CAN DO THIS!

For some inspiration check out www.waddle-on.com ~ John Bingham (aka The Penguin) he used to be a couch potato and woke up one day and said I'm going to run. Great blog! I actually met him and seriously after I spoke to him I wanted to run a marathon... I ran my 1st marathon (without even running hardcore) in 2001 and am planning on running my 2nd May 2013.

I also recommend getting fitted @ a good running store for running shoes and splurge on some great socks too - for good running shoes it will set you back a few $ maybe $130 - $150 but it's worth it! This will make all the difference. And also a heart rate monitor so you don't over do it.
  • lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'm replying without reading other responses like a *kitten*, so sorry if I'm echoing somebody else's reply. There's not just one way to run. Some people like running several miles at a time. Others prefer only doing 1-2 miles incorporating sprints. I like both but have found that sprinting is more fun (but I guess it just depends on my mood). My point is you don't have to run 3-5 miles. Try walking for 3 minutes, jogging for 1.5 min and sprinting for .5 minutes. Repeat the jogging and sprinting until you've had enough.
  • amy4586
    amy4586 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I started training for my first 5K in August. I can honestly say- I still don't "like" it. But, what I do like is the amazing shower I get to take that i worked HARD for. I enjoy running a little farther every week, and the sense of accomplishment at meeting my little goals along the way. I enjoy my time outside on the trail. But most of all, I enjoy the feeling of finally finishing something I set out to do.

The hardest part is getting into the car and going to my running spots. You can do it. You just have to commit to your goals, and try and meet them everyday.
  • cmajeff
    cmajeff Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Ok. Back from the ultimate fit store in Evansville. Bought a pair of Brooks Beast which are the most comfortable pair of shoes I have ever bought in a long time. That said, I start the C25K tomorrow. Turkey day fell right at the end of my weight loss regimen and wanted something new!
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Running isn't for everyone. I happen to love it, but understand that not everyone gets the same joy I do.
    If you don't like it, don't do it! Find something else that works for you. I am currently laid up with a knee injury because of running so be careful with those sore joints if you do continue.
  • cmajeff
    cmajeff Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I spent nearly 20+ years "wanting" to be a runner, but hating running! Started in my teens when I ridiculously thought I could try out for the track team. . .FAIL!!!

So, I spent my teens, 20s and 99% of my 30s. . .wanting to be a runner, but convinced I just plain hated it.

That started to change about 3.5 months before my 40th bday. My church organized a 5k fundraiser for a ministry called Feed My Starving Children (google it. . .they ROCK!). Anway, I signed up thinking I was in decent shape. . had been working out and losing some weight for a few months. . .a 5k should be no problem. Except. . .I couldn't run a full mile continuously. After what I'll simply say was a DISMAL 5k that HOT Memorial Day in 2011. . .I was p!ssed! I spent all of June ruminating on that miserable failure of a 5k endeavor. So, I made the decision to start training myself to be able to continuously run (jog) a 5k starting July 1. It took nearly till my bday in Sept to make the full 5k jogging. . .then I signed up for my first "official" 5k.

It was about a month past my 40th bday and I was REALLY anxious. I didn't want to get lapped by some 70 year old woman! So I ran, and being a novice went out WAY too fast! Ended up taking a 30 second walk break, but finished respectablly at 26:29. Turns out, I was 2nd place for my age group and I got a beer glass!!! I was a WINNER!!! The hook was set.

I won't bore you with the rest of the story, but someone planted a bug in my ear about a half marathon for Spring 2012. . . I did it and another one this past September and a 15k this past weekend. What drives me?? finding out how fast I can get. Setting a goal and reaching it. Being the "runner" amongst my friends. Being called "crazy". New running shoes. New running gear/clothes. Being in the best shape of my life. Knowing I'm setting a great example for my kids. And the feel of the air on my face and the sun on my back. That's my "kool aid". . .Don't know if it helps fill you dixie cup, but I'd say give it a chance to grow on you. You may surprise yourself!!!

This was one of my favorite posts on this thread.... Dixie cup filled! Thanks
  • likemeinvisible
    Options
    It's hard at the start but if you endure it and push through the period it takes to build your stamina, one day something clicks, your knees kick higher, your hands swoosh through the air and you glide effortlessly. It's a magical feeling and you need to sweat for it, piling on the miles with blind faith.
  • Babieseverywhere
    Babieseverywhere Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    You will really feel great afterwards from the hormones released, its like DRUGS!
    This ^^^
  • kerk2002
    Options
    Hey "Big Guy". I can relate. I was tired of seeing 267lbs staring back at me in the mirror. So five weeks ago, at 43yo, I started running - and eating right, and hitting the gym. But it's been running that has taken hold of my attention.

One week after I started running a close friend who had recently run a full marathon asked me to run in a charity 5k for disabled children. We were going to run in a small group and push a child in a specially designed wheelchair. It was one of the the most emotional and inspirational events of my life. We ran this 5k in over 36 minutes and at the end I was sore, hurting and very winded. But, I couldn't wait to run again. My recent 5K time was just under 30 minutes (29:58).

I guess what I'm saying is find that motivator or inspirational reason for wanting to run and then simply - run.
    Start slow - don't worry about pace or distance. Your endurance will build with every run making longer distances possible.
    The pain WILL go away. Five weeks into this and the foot, ankle, knee and shin pain are all but gone - as well as 14lbs.
    Stick with it and eventually you will crave it.

I discovered that joining the cult is easy and gives you further motivation to continue. On a recent business trip to Florida I decided to run a couple of miles. Into my second mile I passed another runner and as we passed we gave thumbs up and he yelled out "keep it up, runner". I realized then that it didn't matter if I ran marathons or could barely make it a mile - at that particular moment, I was a runner.

So, if you can get off the couch and run you're already in the cult - Keep it up, runner!
  • habapu
    habapu Posts: 25
    Options
    Interested!