Tattoo as goal " reward"

Options

Replies

• AnahitaCanDoIt
    Options
    I have to add that I don't 'get' tattoos...it's not something I'd ever do. It's not me. But each to their own...I was merely saying if you put something about your actual weightloss/fitness success on your tattoo and then gained the weight/got unfit, it might be embarrassing.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I have to add that I don't 'get' tattoos...it's not something I'd ever do. It's not me. But each to their own...I was merely saying if you put something about your actual weightloss/fitness success on your tattoo and then gained the weight/got unfit, it might be embarrassing.

Iwould like to think that if you put the time and money into a good tattoo you are going to do everything in your power to not go back and gain weight . Honestly I know myself after spending 2K on a tattoo I would not be willing to gain weight or do anything that would change the look of the tattoo.
  • Wuggums
    Wuggums Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    <--- Partially a "reward" tattoo as one of the five dragons represents my weight loss. This is obviously still a work in progress and just a bit more than half done with another 8-10 hours to go under the needles.
  • gotogirl81
    gotogirl81 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Resists temptation.

For?

I personally don't get using your body as a timeline to commemorate events with tattoos. They are more or less permanent. If it says something like "Look at me how thin I am" and then you gain weight...

ETA: this was about ppl getting weight loss tattoos, not for the OP.
    If it were me I'd get myself a fancy holiday or a really nice watch.

I would have thought that one of the best reasons for getting tattoo's would be to commemorate events that happen throughout your life.
    Imagine going on a "fancy holiday" and not taking any photos to look back on because "what's the point I am not there any more"

Everyone has their own opinion of what a reward for whatever( weight loss/ a goal met/ etc..) should be..

I personally think if someone is into that form of artistic expression and are OK with putting it on their own bodies then that is what they should do, and be happy with that decision cause well, its kinda permanent.
    I personally love tattoos. If you don't like them, and never would get one I would recommend another way to commemorate reaching something that was accomplished.
  • Matt_1972
    Matt_1972 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    If I would never get a tattoo and don't see the point of using a tattoo as a reward for reaching a goal then I probably wouldn't go into a thread created for that specific reason and tell people what they should and shouldn't do.
  • AnahitaCanDoIt
    Options

I said, "But each to their own" AND I referred to tattoos specifically outlining weight loss amounts etc... no one is judging you. Relax.

I'm giving my opinion. Which is what is done here generally. Just saying to people: think long and hard about getting a tattoo that specifies your weight loss (amounts, clothes sizes, etc)... it could backfire.

Sheesh.
  • AnahitaCanDoIt
    Options
    I'm a lover not a fighter. :) now that would be a good tattoo! :)
  • xSakura
    xSakura Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of doing the same, treating myself to a tattoo when I've reached my goal. I'm planning on losing it all by my 21st, so it'll also be like a present to myself :smile:

I don't have anything in mind yet, although I'd like ''Fall down seven times, stand up eight'' along the inside of my arm, for the simple fact I've been through a lot the past few years, and it's a reminder to stay strong.. I dunno, I like the idea :laugh: I only have one tattoo, which is a Koi fish on my right arm with Japanese, which translates into ''Love'' and ''Family'' and I absolutely love it :heart:

Good luck with your research, I'm sure you'll find a great artist! :flowerforyou:
  • gotogirl81
    gotogirl81 Posts: 278 Member
    Options

I said, "But each to their own" AND I referred to tattoos specifically outlining weight loss amounts etc... no one is judging you. Relax.

I'm giving my opinion. Which is what is done here generally. Just saying to people: think long and hard about getting a tattoo that specifies your weight loss (amounts, clothes sizes, etc)... it could backfire.

Sheesh.

its totally cool that your not down with that kinda thing. I have a few friends and parents who are not into me doing this. I still love them the same. I have wanted one for a long time..and the tattoo will have nothing to do with weight loss in the sense of the drawing itself. Like I said its things that remind me of my grandmother.
  • AnahitaCanDoIt
    Options

Sheesh.

its totally cool that your not down with that kinda thing. I have a few friends and parents who are not into me doing this. I still love them the same. I have wanted one for a long time..and the tattoo will have nothing to do with weight loss in the sense of the drawing itself. Like I said its things that remind me of my grandmother.

That'll be a nice way to remember her... my comment was not about you (as I stated) just about people putting the specific weight/fitness victory. Kinda like watching the stars get a tattoo of the boyfriend of the week on their wrist and then breaking up the next week! Embarrassing! :) And painful, I hear, to remove.
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    if i can muster up the guts, once i hit goal, i'd like to get a phoenix on my wrist or calf
    Symbolizing that I have arisen from the old and became a new person
    as the phoenix dies on his funeral pyre and rise from his own ashes into something new and magnificent
    :)
    (again if i have the guts, hahahaa, i'm a total chicken.... but we shall see how i feel at goal!)

^ What a wonderful idea! Good luck to you.
  • Janet9906
    Janet9906 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I got this one on my foot when I reached 40 pounds. I'm going to get another one when I reach my goal of 56 pounds...5 pounds to go :)

007-2.jpg
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I got this one on my foot when I reached 40 pounds. I'm going to get another one when I reach my goal of 56 pounds...5 pounds to go :)

007-2.jpg

^ That is gorgeous, Janet! :flowerforyou:
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    If i wasnt a big chicken, I want (at some point) a bunny on my upper left back shoulder for the baby we lost in '09.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I have a tat planned once I reach my goal too! It's going to be a really big one on my stomach to cover up some of my stretch marks!
  • deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I actually got a tattoo as a reward once I hit 100lbs lost!

603164_477750515571854_1242648457_n.jpg

it was also a cover up :wink:
  • JMStockman1979
    Options
    Every 20 lbs I lost, I got a new tattoo, or added something to one I already have. Unfortunately, I hit a plateau and ended up gaining almost all of the weight back. Now I'm here, and I think that once I get back to where I was, and get down 80 lbs, I'll color in the tat I originally got when I had lost 60. Until I get there, though, no more tats for me.

By the way, my tats do not symbolize my weight loss, and none of them say anything about why I got them. They are just designs I wanted, and decided that they'd be a good motivator. I don't show them off to people, either, even though they are just half-sleeves and one on a foot. I keep them out of the sunlight and out of view. They are personal to me; and I don't care for strangers coming up to me and saying stupid things like, "so what does it mean?" Or, "You'll never get a man with something like THAT on you!" Or, "How will that look when you're old? You probably won't want them anymore then!" Well, my answer to that last is that my kid changed my body, left permanent scars, and I'll still want him when I'm old; he's just as much a part of me as my tats are, so why would my feelings change about him or the tats?
  • joeysox
    joeysox Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of doing the same, treating myself to a tattoo when I've reached my goal. I'm planning on losing it all by my 21st, so it'll also be like a present to myself :smile:

I don't have anything in mind yet, although I'd like ''Fall down seven times, stand up eight'' along the inside of my arm, for the simple fact I've been through a lot the past few years, and it's a reminder to stay strong.. I dunno, I like the idea :laugh: I only have one tattoo, which is a Koi fish on my right arm with Japanese, which translates into ''Love'' and ''Family'' and I absolutely love it :heart:

Good luck with your research, I'm sure you'll find a great artist! :flowerforyou:

although koi arent my thing my friend has a beautiful huge one on her thigh representing luck! i love japanese themed ones i very much love japanese culture i have my boys name in japanese x
  • johnieC
    Options
    :O) its always a good time & reason to get tattooed!!!
    Tattoos are great rewards, its something that you spend money on & take it to the grave with you, no one can steal it, you cant lose it , & it doesn't wear out (cant say that about that new outfit).
    They are a great way to commemorate , they will always remind you of the time, place, & reason you got it.
    Only real word of advice is look at portfolios before you let someone touch you.
    Sorry, i ramble& wander slightly off topic at times .
  • sapl31
    sapl31 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I went tonight and got my reward tattoo. It is the first one ever. As several said if I have the guts and don't chicken out. I went tonight to look, the artist helped me put it together and agreed to do it tonight. It is a flower, ivy, butterfly design on my hip.