weight training

Options
how do i log my calories for weight training?

Replies

• Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    ????
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Exercise.
    Search for strength training.
    Waahhllahhh!
  • Chadomaniac
    Options
    ON THIS SITE !!! i want to track my weight training calories and log them on this site so i can eat more! lol HELP!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    ON THIS SITE !!! i want to track my weight training calories and log them on this site so i can eat more! lol HELP!

enter them in cardio. search for strength training.

however, calories burned while strength training is horribly inaccurate.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    There is also a circuit training entry under cardiovascular. But also inaccurate.
  • sim207
    sim207 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    get a heart rate monitor
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    yeah, its not very accurate on here.

the strength training section is more for logging as opposed to calories
  • Chadomaniac
    Options
    its not at all , i burn way more than 200cals in an hour of leg training ... HRM would be the best option . how much would u estimate id burn in an intense leg workout with squats , leg press , deadlifts , leg extensions etc ... im 170ibs
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    its not at all , i burn way more than 200cals in an hour of leg training ... HRM would be the best option . how much would u estimate id burn in an intense leg workout with squats , leg press , deadlifts , leg extensions etc ... im 170ibs
    Unfortunately an HRM is not your best option either as they're designed for aerobic activity and are not accurate for strength training. No-one can really give you an absolute positive correct answer to this question. I could tell you what I burn doing heavy lifting, but I'm a smaller than average female so it in no way will be what you burn. I've heard some people log 75% of what the HRM gives them. It doesn't matter all that much to me personally because I don't eat back strength training calories.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

I log under "Circuit Training, general" and tend to burn at just over 600 calories per hour (measured with HRM). I'm 180lbs and do an intensive (no rest), but not very heavy weight, circuit.
  • Chadomaniac
    Options
    iv logged it as 450 to be safe ... ill only log my leg training days ... i know i can burn 1000cals on an intense leg day
  • LexyDB
    LexyDB Posts: 261
    Options
    Unfortunately an HRM is not your best option either as they're designed for aerobic activity and are not accurate for strength training. No-one can really give you an absolute positive correct answer to this question. I could tell you what I burn doing heavy lifting, but I'm a smaller than average female so it in no way will be what you burn. I've heard some people log 75% of what the HRM gives them. It doesn't matter all that much to me personally because I don't eat back strength training calories.

Really?

Heart rate monitors are designed, surprise surprise, to monitor your heart rate during physical activity, not just aerobic exercise.

Any exercise that increases your heart rate, weights, running or HIIT will be given a far more accurate calorie expenditure reading using a heart rate monitor than the option on my fitness pal.

No one can give an completely accurate reading but with most heart rate monitors including age and body weight they are a lot closer that the 75% you have implied.
  • Chadomaniac
    Options
    where do i buy a HRM? and are they expensive? im 21 on a budget lol
  • sannsk
    sannsk Posts: 203 Member
    Options

Polar is a good HRM, if you're on a budget, search ebay or amazon.com for cheaper offers...
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Options

Really?

Heart rate monitors are designed, surprise surprise, to monitor your heart rate during physical activity, not just aerobic exercise.

Any exercise that increases your heart rate, weights, running or HIIT will be given a far more accurate calorie expenditure reading using a heart rate monitor than the option on my fitness pal.

No one can give an completely accurate reading but with most heart rate monitors including age and body weight they are a lot closer that the 75% you have implied.
    The algorhythms they use are designed to tell you how many calories you burned doing aerobic activity. Weight training is an anaerobic activity. Of course you burn calories while weight training, but not as many as you'd think. Try giving this a read:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/hrms-cannot-count-calories-during-strength-training-17698
  • Chadomaniac
    Options
    interesting article , well i still dont know what to do . estimate??
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Options
    interesting article , well i still dont know what to do . estimate??
    yes.
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options

I guestimate as well. Some of my routines are more sweat-inducing than others so I try to take that into account. I usually do a warm-up; so I'll count the warm-up of 10 min plus a few hundred calories. Best to stay on the safe side for me, as I'm trying to maintain or lose a bit at this point, not gain any because I've underestimated my calorie burn and then go gorge on lard.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Bought mine from Amazon, Polar FT7 is good, a lot of people like the FT4. The basic FT1 is horrible!!
  • AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I don't even bother inputting it as I felt it was way off. I should really purchase a HRM