riding stationary bike question

Options

Replies

• kmorganlfc
    kmorganlfc Posts: 115 Member
    Options

Just think about all the miles/kilometers those athletes are doing in the Tour de France .. or the Olympics .. they aren't putzing around .. they're pumping it closer to 25 mph.

They do 20mph+ going up hills :smile:

....and they're not short hills
  • Arrabindi
    Arrabindi Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Does it even make sense to make about mileage on a stationary bike? When you're on a real bike the mileage depends on so many factors, that are probably not accounted for on a stationary bike, like air resistance, gear, wheel diameter, weight of the bike and yourself, etc.
    I think it's difficult to compare a stationary bike to a real one, so I think you should just compete against on yourself on the stationary bike and aim to do better than you did last week and not worry about how it compares to real biking.
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I'll let you in on a training secret of almost every elite athlete you will meet:
    Time matters more than miles.

A one hour ride with 3 sets of intervals of 3x1:00 each
    A two hour ride with 45 minutes of sustained threshold work
    A 90 minute ride with 20x0:30 intervals

It's all based on time, not distance. The miles are just a bit of trivia that come along for the ride (along with terrain, temperature, and wind speed).
  • Kathy_TheVampireSlayer
    Options
    Mine tells me that i do a mile in like 10 mins, but depends on how fast and how much effort i put into it also.
  • GillOrmsby1
    GillOrmsby1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, I wonder if you can help me. I have been working out on a stationary bike and have seen a lot of stuff online (including upwards in this thread) about people routinely managing 10 miles in 30 mins. I can manage 4 miles in 33 minutes, and that's if i'm really gunning for it. Could someone let me know how many rpms they are reaching? I am going at around 80rpm which feels quite fast, but I have only begun fairly recently - last few months - so maybe I will be able to attain this further down the line.

Thanks for reading!
    Gill
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    brendaj39 wrote: »
    Just wondering from people that ride a stationary bike, how soon can you ride a mile, and just wondering if my bike is telling me the truth, it is saying I can do a mile in a little less than 3 minutes...

Last night it said I did 11 miles in 30 minutes, just curious if that is accurate???

i do a mile in 4 and a half minutes and that's just going at a reasonable pace without much effort so sounds about right if you're making an effort.
  • theconnertys
    theconnertys Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, I wonder if you can help me. I have been working out on a stationary bike and have seen a lot of stuff online (including upwards in this thread) about people routinely managing 10 miles in 30 mins. I can manage 4 miles in 33 minutes, and that's if i'm really gunning for it. Could someone let me know how many rpms they are reaching? I am going at around 80rpm which feels quite fast, but I have only begun fairly recently - last few months - so maybe I will be able to attain this further down the line.

Thanks for reading!
    Gill

It comes down to cadence. To hit 10 miles in 30 minutes, you need a cadence in the mid 90's....so somewhere around 95 revolutions per minute.
  • LiveLoveLift48
    LiveLoveLift48 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I have found some differences when i ride the stationary bikes at the gym. Depending on upright bike or recumbent bike and what program i have it set to. Most times though it shows me at about 4 minutes for a mile. Pedaling fast. It also depends on what resistance i have it on.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Likely not comparable to mileage outside. If you are using it as measure of one stationary or spin session to another its worthwhile. If you're measuring a spin session as what you could reasonably do outside it's pretty unlikely.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    brendaj39 wrote: »
    Just wondering from people that ride a stationary bike, how soon can you ride a mile, and just wondering if my bike is telling me the truth, it is saying I can do a mile in a little less than 3 minutes...

Last night it said I did 11 miles in 30 minutes, just curious if that is accurate???

When you're on a Stationary Bike you don't have any wind resistance, or Gravity of a hill, or other factors rolled into it. So it's easy to keep that time of pace.

30 miles in 11 mins is a mile roughly a mile every 2m44s. Which is pretty fast, 21.95 mph. When you're riding indoors.

Sunday a week ago I averaged 19.4 MPH for 35 miles, outdoors.... So it's not that far fetched.

Either Way it's a good indoor pace.
  • CincyNeid
    Options
    Arrabindi wrote: »
    Does it even make sense to make about mileage on a stationary bike? 1) When you're on a real bike the mileage depends on so many factors, 2) that are probably not accounted for on a stationary bike, like air resistance, gear, wheel diameter, weight of the bike and yourself, etc.
    I think it's difficult to compare a stationary bike to a real one, so I think you should just compete against on yourself on the stationary bike and aim to do better than you did last week and not worry about how it compares to real biking.

1) A mile is a mile, regardless of if you're a Time Trial machine, an Aero Bike, A Mountain Bike, BMX, or Commuter bike. A mile is a mile is a mile. You cannot change that fact that 5,280 feet are one mile.

2) The manufacturer accounted for the size of the flywheel into the logarithm that the computer uses to figure out how far a mile is. Just like a 700c tire/wheel combo has a different circumference that a 650b tire/wheel combo has.

I will overall agree with you on the Air Resistance, Gearing and weight [esp when it comes to climbing], but the distance thing... a mile is a mile is a mile.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Distances traved or speed doesn't mean much when the resistance cannot be quantified. There's a big difference between punching the air and a brick wall.
  • Natalierae886
    Natalierae886 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Are you sure your bike isn't measuring in kilometres? I do 11 kilometres in 30 mins... works out at 6 miles
  • Riley1511riley
    Riley1511riley Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just hit my 8 month record of 14.41 miles in 35 min with 621 cal burned do yes really possible in think that's around 24.7 mph average maybe little higher
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,119 Member
    Options
    Just hit my 8 month record of 14.41 miles in 35 min with 621 cal burned do yes really possible in think that's around 24.7 mph average maybe little higher

On a stationary bike or on a real bicycle?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,119 Member
    Options
    Are you sure your bike isn't measuring in kilometres? I do 11 kilometres in 30 mins... works out at 6 miles

I expect a lot of people make this mistake ... assume the stat bikes are in miles when they are actually in kilometres.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    To state the obvious - stationary bikes don't move!

Some purely count the pedal revolutions so if you have minimal resistance you can spin the crank in a blur of legs doing very little real work and burning not a lot of energy but register a good distance.
    If they are taking the sensor from the flywheel speed then resistance (gearing effectively) will be taken into account then they have a better chance of being proportionate to your effort (power).
    You can test that yourself by keeping cadence steady and varying the resistance and seeing what difference it makes to the "speed".

More sophisticated bikes are better and measure power and then can give a reasonable but still rough estimate of speed.
    Last night I saw 22.8 virtual miles on a WattbikePro (with an accurate power meter) doing effectively a one hour time trial to exhaustion.
    I couldn't do that speed outside on my local roads but perhaps if I was in a velodrome or found a 20+ mile stretch of perfect road......
  • CincyNeid
    edited August 2016
    Options
    You guys are making me want to go out for an hour straight and see how many miles I can crank out on my bike .....

Looking at THIS report from my Ride Cincinnati for Breast Cancer it looks like I rode 23.9 miles in an hour
  • MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I hit 20 miles or so in 50 to 55 minutes on the stationary bike at the gym. It changes the resistance at various times throughout the time I'm doing it. I know I probably wouldn't go that fast on a real bike but I do go hard at the gym to keep a good pace.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    I routinely ride my LeMond RevMaster Pro at 22 mph at 90-100 rpm for 30 mins/11 miles at a rate of 500-600 cal/hr with a max HR of around 130-135 (80% of my max) which is indicative of only a moderate rate of activity because I do not raise the resistance setting that high.

However, I'm pretty sure that I could not ride a real bike on a real road that fast.