work related - breaking out of admin

Options
lozadee
lozadee Posts: 89 Member
Hi

I know its not weight related (although a bad day at work doesnt help food choices!)

I currently work in an admin role with a property department...I'm searching for "my next step"

I'm not overly passionate about property - however I am used to it and experienced....

Has any one successfully moved on from an admin role - any hints/tips/progression paths you could share?

I have nothing against admin - I am simply looking to push myself more and develop my career further than supporting people more skilled than me...

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• lozadee
    lozadee Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Anyone managed to get away from admin roles?
  • fiabka
    fiabka Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I am planning mine as we speak, Yes, I know I am supposed to be working ... at my admin job but I have 'other' things to do !!!!

I have posted my college application in now (can't start till Sept 2013) this way I can't back out ...

Well I can but I am telling myself it's done now so no turning back!!

I am going to train to be a beautician and once qualified I will work this alongside my admin job until it can take over

I am 44, 45 when I start the course so if I can do this, trust me, anyone can

It was pointed out to me that I still have another 22 years left in employment until retirement & due to the fact that I will not be able to afford retirement, probably a lot longer - The thought of still sitting behind a desk, skint for another 22+ years frightened me into doing something about it - so hopefully as well as doing something I will enjoy a whole lot more I can potentially earn a lot more money

xxxx
  • Superstar_81
    Superstar_81 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hi :) What do you feel passionate about? Could you study for another career or find a job that offers on the job training? What about moving into showing properties/surevying etc?
    For example I 'fell' into dental nursing and enjoy it but not passionate - I have qualifications from dentistry now and have moved into practice management (admin eek!) but secretly spend my time trying to get on a course of forensic sciences :)

I even emailed my local dentist asking him if I can assist (for free!) when he is called in by police to do forensic dental work. Maybe you need to find out what you really want to do, then you can plan how to do it?

Hope you find something soon! :smile:
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I moved from nursing into admin; I am looking to retire as my next career move!

Have your thought about things like Occ Health & Safety; Human resources; sort of admin but different. Or go to Uni as a mature age student (in Australia once you are 20 you are considered mature age and can access alternative routes into Uni) - study something you are passionate about.

Depends what you are interested in; if you want to or need to study; how you can support yourself if you take a while to find new work; but why not just go for it - try something different! If you never never try then you will never never know :smile:

Good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • robynj88
    robynj88 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I've worked in admin for six years and am now sick of it, so am studying in my spare time for my HR qualification. Definitely worth it, a career with much more progression and more options.
  • d3mon4ngel
    d3mon4ngel Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I have. I was always a programmer at heart, but due to various circumstances haven't got the "required" pieces of paper, and ended up in an admin position for many years.

The way I got out of it was to take an admin job in a computer based company, then applied for a programming job when it came up. They took a chance on me, and I've not looked back since. My current company is even paying for me to get my MCPD :smile:
  • LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I went from admin to P.A. ... although I suppose that's just a more intense admin job lol!