Caffeine??

Options
ErinGiam
ErinGiam Posts: 396 Member
So I've stopped drinking pop all together, and I can definitely feel a change in my body, especially the fact that I become tired during the day much easier.
So my question for everyone is this : what foods or drinks do you eat that give your body energy without all of the excess sugar? Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Replies

• tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Black coffee. If you really hate it, add a little bit of honey.
  • tntrav44
    tntrav44 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Green Tea. Not as much of a jolt as coffee, but works well, nonetheless.
  • Caroline523
    Options
    i used to HATE coffee with a passion, but since i've been at college i've found i really need it to wake up in the mornings. at first i put cream and sugar in it, but i've slowly weaned myself off that so all i need is a little splenda. i think it's an acquired taste!
  • monique_eatman
    monique_eatman Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I got off of caffeine also. I was never a soda drinker, but drank coffee. I got off of coffee and felt tired and sluggish for about a week. After your body adjusts and gets used to not having the caffeine, you will be fine. I actually had a lot of energy. Just keep your diet healthy and remember to excercise. Your body just needs time to adjust.
  • Ashia1317
    Ashia1317 Posts: 415
    Options
    Green Tea. Not as much of a jolt as coffee, but works well, nonetheless.

Diddo!!! I like Salada Green Tea with Pomegranate and Berry.
  • TwentyTen
    TwentyTen Posts: 585
    Options
    I am a recovering coffee/sugar addict. Green tea and some fruit gives me a little pick me up. I like a little squirt of citrus in the tea as well when I can.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I was at the point where I was drinking 4-5 sodas a day, the first one most of the time before 9am. When I joined MFP I stopped drinking soda altogether. I went cold turkey. At the same time, I upped my water to the minimum 64 ounces a day (I was drinking maybe 16 lol). Because I upped my water when I stopped drinking soda I found I really didn't have an issue. The water kept me awake and even fuller and I haven't had a soda in 65 days. If I get tired of drinking water plain, then I use the off-brand crystal light water flavoring - walmart has awesome flavors! So far this is all I've ever needed. I also forced myself to go to bed sooner to get more sleep. And since I've changed what I'm eating/how much and watched my water intake, I'm also sleeping better.

I didn't try switching to coffee because 1) I hate the taste of coffee (but LOVE the smell :love: ), and 2) I see it as just another crutch or food to become dependent on/crave. Anything that causes a dependency in my book is out the window!
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    5-hour energy...it's the only "fake" food I willfully put into my body on a regular basis...:(

If I could figure oout how ot get more than 5-6 hours of sleep per night, I'd skip that too...:P

P.S. But it does what it claims...energy without the crash. Start with HALF a bottle if you choose one....I'm a big guy and one is plenty for me.
  • SASSYJAX
    SASSYJAX Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I drink ENERGISING TEA...think it has ginseng in it but it works.

I have also tried some pills called JUMPSTART they cheer you up, buck you up and keep you going. ...

x
  • medtrans79
    Options
    I was at the point where I was drinking 4-5 sodas a day, the first one most of the time before 9am. When I joined MFP I stopped drinking soda altogether. I went cold turkey. At the same time, I upped my water to the minimum 64 ounces a day (I was drinking maybe 16 lol). Because I upped my water when I stopped drinking soda I found I really didn't have an issue. The water kept me awake and even fuller and I haven't had a soda in 65 days. If I get tired of drinking water plain, then I use the off-brand crystal light water flavoring - walmart has awesome flavors! So far this is all I've ever needed. I also forced myself to go to bed sooner to get more sleep. And since I've changed what I'm eating/how much and watched my water intake, I'm also sleeping better.

I didn't try switching to coffee because 1) I hate the taste of coffee (but LOVE the smell :love: ), and 2) I see it as just another crutch or food to become dependent on/crave. Anything that causes a dependency in my book is out the window!

I agree! Once I started taking in more water I started feeling better and realized I didn't really miss the drinks. I do keep walmarts brand of flavoring on hand because, let's face it, water is so bland :smile: I still have 1-2 diet drinks a day but usually for dinner or I allow that as part of my snack. It will get better, I promise, just hang in there and congratulations on your 65 days without. PS: I can't stand coffee so I didn't even go there, don't even like the smell.
  • chunkydunker
    Options
    oxygen...i am not kidding. oxygenated blood gets energy so when you are tired...breath deeply for 5 minutes
  • ErinGiam
    ErinGiam Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I appreciate all of the adivce :)