How do you motivate yourself to exercise?

Options

Replies

• jmmcj92
    Options
    I love working out, but I do feel great afterwards. I am a healthcare provider so maybe I can make some suggestions to many I know who feel the same way as you. Setting up a routine is one thing, but you would have to treat it like something that is a part of your day. I have bulging discs in my cervical spine. Sometimes I do feel pain and tingling between my shoulder blades. I try to get massages once a month when I can. Look at what you like to do. Exercise isn't necessarily getting workout clothes and working up a sweat. Brisk walking, swimming, and step aerobics may appeal to you. For example, I love to dance so I am going to try zumba soon because I know that would appeal to me, and I can do it for hours because I simply love dance. If you can channel what you enjoy doing that is not a chore and see it as more of a hobby (or tie it in with one), you may just want to engage in it.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Try finding something you do enjoy. Do you like dancing? I danced to music or played dance games on my wii as exercise because it's the only thing I really find fun. You can totally work up a sweat with DDR too.
  • Tunia85
    Tunia85 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Do you like walking? I started out doing the Leslie Sansone walk at home dvd's and I loved it!! I think those would be a good start. Too bad your gym doesn't have a pool!!

I started with walking, and using the Endomodo app really inspires me. Many high schools and colleges open up their pools to the community for free. Chances are you could find one in your area.
  • asktheclouds
    Options
    I've given up trying to motivate myself. It doesn't work. If I feel lazy, I feel lazy and nothing will change that. I've learned to just "go through the motions." ie. put the keys in my pocket, pack the gym bag, eat a pre-work out meal, etc. I don't even let myself think about how tired I am, how much I'd rather stay home, etc. So in other words, I'm not "working out." I'm "putting keys in my pocket," "getting in the car," etc. I just do the steps like I'm a zombie until I get there. Once I get there, I almost always enjoy myself and am happy I went.
  • JenMarie8781
    JenMarie8781 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I usually hate it too. But one thing that I can tolerate without getting TOO bored or just ready to quit.... walking on the treadmill while I watch shows through Netflix on my phone. When I have something to watch, it makes the time go by faster. It has been a couple months since I've been on the treadmill though. I'm bad. lol.
  • olympian41
    olympian41 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have to change up my workouts - a LOT. Like every week I have to do something new. 30 DS is too repetitive for me even. I feel like once I 'master' something I need a new challenge. So, I mix things up.

I have rods on my spine, so I understand the back pain and issues - physiotherapy will really help with that. My surgeon has a 'no excuses' attitude, and tells me 'you won't be stronger unless you get stronger' which keeps me focused and motivated. You can exercise without pain if you're doing the 'right' ones.

Good luck!
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    It's not easy. I haven't read all the comments (I'm kind of afraid to) but really, once you get into the habit of it you start to enjoy it. My best advice would be find something that you love to do, and make that your workout.

Experiment a little bit, and once you find something you love, you'll wind up looking forward to it. I love weight training and hiking. Those are my two favorite exercises (which stinks because there is nowhere I can get to for a hike), and I look forward to being able to do them.
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I watch Dana Linn Bailey videos
  • 4Phoenix
    4Phoenix Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I used to just say hey fatty move your *kitten*. Now, I like it so it's more about beating my last run time than anything. Good luck.
  • 4Phoenix
    4Phoenix Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    In the beginning it is "just suck it up and do it", no excuses allowed....knowing that in time that attitude will change as you see results and your body begins to enjoy movement....don'e allow FEELINGS to stop you from being the best you can be....how many of us really enjoy calorie deprivation? That is why many of us might use a coach, to push beyond our comfort zone. You are in a battle for your life = be a warrior! Always know that you have a choice, it is your decision and you are in control. Those whose body and lifestyle that you might desire made decisions to create that for themselves - you only see the results, not the daily hours of challenging decisions that it took to create the results that you see. If you settle for less than you can be, your life may be less of a struggle in a certain sense, but if you choose to excel and reap the rewards you have to pay the price. Your decision!
  • kleis3
    Options
    Try something like Zumba or dance cardio to start with, plus light weights and core strength training. The whole time thinking how great it will be to complete it. You can do it.

I have been doing Zumba for years and this is the type of workout you don't even feel like you're working out because of how much fun it is. Try doing Zumba, it'll be worth your time to try it I promise :-)
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    What worked for me was making a rule I had to do something for 30 minutes every single day. I thought of it as a matter of hygiene, or medicine. Something convenient & short that didn't involve a ton of planning or obstacles, like driving to get there, having to go at a scheduled time, relying on other people, needing special clothes or equipment - all those are opportunities not to do it.

Walking, or a short DVD or youtube video, fit the bill for me. ~30 mins felt manageable, vs 1 hr - not too much of an investment, it's over quickly, tough to rationalize not doing it, I could wear whatever. Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred is what I started with, re DVDs.

The first month was literally a pain (hello DOMS), but I got used to it after that, and started craving activity because it felt good. I guess a few months after that, I saw enough results to hook me good.

(I was also highly motivated because of life circumstances.)
  • amaria9
    amaria9 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    One of my friends on here posted this quote the other day. It makes total sense:

"Being overweight is hard. Exercising is hard. PICK YOUR HARD"

Great quote! It's a choice.

I used to LOVE exercise, but after a ski injury, it was very tough to get back to exercise. Lately, I do easier things, like walking errands instead of driving. One day, I walked to pay some bills instead of driving - I covered 3+ miles walking! Find little ways to incorporate exercise and movement into your day - cleaning, walking, playing with your kids / dog. If you don't have kids or a dog, then walk a friend's dog or babysit a friend's kid, etc.
  • chatipati1
    chatipati1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    You need to walk walk walk...it's not that hard on the back. And the motivation for me comes from the amount of food I eat..I can either burn some of it off, or keep it on...:) You need to find your passion..
  • yugevorgsum
    yugevorgsum Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    How about cycling - outside. I find that the time just flys by out on the road and my stomach has really tightened up. It is a road bike with dropped handlebars so most of the upper body is supported by the stomach muscles ... and it feels like being a kid again. Works for me but not for everybody.
  • RadioactivePirate
    Options
    Schedule your exercise. You're much more likely to follow through with it if you have a definite plan like "I go to the gym at 8pm on Monday so I can watch Dancing With the Stars and run" rather than "I'll go to the gym at some point this week."

Chat with the gym employees. I find that knowing I'm going to see the same person every Monday Wednesday and Friday helps me get my butt there, I know she's expecting me on those days, and will even say "See you Monday!" when I leave on Friday. Or make another gym friend who goes on a regular schedule.

If all else fails, bribe yourself. Buy new music to work out to. Buy yourself presents for achieving goals. I like to work out and it's habit by now, but I still reward myself! I just got a new kindle :)
  • hendinerik
    hendinerik Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    There are non-traditional types of exercise or things that people don't think of as such, like vinyasa yoga or dancing - walking and biking also are good.

For me I never thought I would like weights but I like the benefits and I've gotten into a routine with it and I like the effect of it on my body. You may find similar with something if you can stick to it.

Other thing you can do is get a buddy to work out with or walk with etc... that can be a huge motivator if the other person is also willing to commit...

good luck!
  • annams76
    annams76 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Walk. It is low impact and walking for just 20 minutes a day can help you drop weight.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    People think its easy for me. They see me out running all the time and working out, but you know what, it sucks. I don't want to do it. I never want to do it. Last night, I almost didn't do it. Then that little voice in my head kicked in and told me to stop whining. I think about people with disabilities that would dream to physically do things I can do. Then, I just shut off my mind, and habit takes over. But, never make the mistake of thinking that someone fit likes it much. It's just hat all the alternatives are less attractive.

I went to the doctor yesterday and the nurse asked me 3 times what medications I am on. I kept saying none. Finally she looked up and apologized, and asked what's my secret, and that everyone is on some sort of medication. I said diet and exercise. She laughed and said maybe she would make that her New Years resolution.

It's never easy. I hate it too. But, I need to do it. I hate working, but. Need money. You know? You just ave to do things becuse it's necessary.
  • emily_bird
    Options
    I hate exercise with a passion. I don't get that feel good endorphin release - what I get is back pain (herniated discs) or shoulder/arm pain (rotator cuff tendonitis). People say swim or do water aerobics (but my gym doesn't have a pool).

I would love to love to exercise. To me, though, it's torture and I would rather have a root canal done. So, I exercise rather infrequently, and when I do, I hate every minute of it. I realize that exercise, along with a healthy diet, is central to a healthy lifestyle, so I would really like to get over my aversion to working out.

Any suggestions/advice? Just biting the bullet is not working.

Thank you, all, for reading.

The first thing to do is to get your mind right, so that the body will follow. Instead of viewing it with a negative attitude, tell yourself that you're going to enjoy what you're doing.Tell yourself that exercise is good for you.When you're doing it, think about all of the benefits.

Think of it this way, you know you get those people who complain about how they're never going to get anything right or they're always negative or they complain about everything they don't want, so they never focus on how to solve their own problems and improve, until finally you just get sick of them when the answer is it's because of their attitude... you're doing the same thing with exercise.

You need to view exercise as an outlet and as a tool. By exercising, you're taking control of your life back, as you allow yourself to be able to do more things and have more opportunities. You'll feel better, because you're giving your body what it needs .You'll have less mood swings (more people will want to be around you), you'll gain more confidence within yourself,you'll look better etc It's going to make you live a longer, healthier , more able life.When you're an older person, you'll have a lot more ability and mobility. You can determine what you're life is going to be like at this stage and in 40 years time by the choices you make.
    You're literally swapping 20 minutes a day of exercising for gaining years on your life.

Since you have a back problem, don't try and just do weights or anything that is going to put too much stress on your back.Do it with someone who knows what they're doing, or educate yourself about it first.It's MOVEMENT that's good for you. Anything will help. Walk up and down your hallway. Ride a bicycle around the block. Do pilates or take up a dance class. Run around your house dancing.You don't need a lo of equipment and you don't need to spend thousands of dollars : you just have to make the choice to be active. If you have kids or family, make it a way of life and incorporate them into it. Run around with them. Divide your exercise into increments throughout the day.Start sucking in your stomach and contracting and you'll be exercising while doing what you have to do . Buy exercise videos and swap them up.Do this today and another tomorrow to avoid getting bored. When you're watching tvt at night or reading, turn your legs to the side or rotate them. All of these small movements add up.

Mentally train yourself so that MOVEMENT is good, it can be pleasurable , it can be relief, it can make you stronger etc Don't view it as , " Aggg, I have to go exercise". Your attitude will determine a lot of your results.It's not about getting a six pack or being the best, it's about being healthy and being better than you were yesterday. I've literally gone from hating a form of exercise to telling myself that I'll enjoy it, to the extent that I MISS it when I don't do it.

Because of your back problem, these things might be the best to start off with : walking, running, cycling, stretching, dancing, zumba, turbofire or even martial arts . Things I've heard of that you might like are piloxing and turbojam.

At the end of the day, try to have a positive mindset about movement, look for simple ways to incorporate movement into your life and look out for things that seem to be fun.

Good luck! I know that you can do it.