Flabby arms

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Pick up some heavy things, then do it again, and reduce the amount of fat on your body.

Unless you are taking drugs and lifting very heavy you aren't going to get body builder arms..

This!! x 1,000,000!!!

Adding another ^ths
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    the trick is......you must be COMMITED!!! :grumble: 2~sets of 25 with light weights.3 or 4 times a week.:huh: Do your motion slow and SQUEEZE!!! Happt turkey day :drinker:

no.

And adding another not ^this.
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

You diet and continue to lose fat. That is the ONLY way.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Bent over triceps extensions with light wieghts and high reps. google it.
  • clobercow
    Options
    And this is the vicious circle of MFP bad advice.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

No you don't! That's how you end up skinny fat - in other words, with a cute little number on the scale, and flabby batwings.....
  • andreamkelly
    Options
    bump
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Hmmm with what you eat, you are not going to get anywhere near bodybuilder size...light weights are okay, but if you want to define, tone and get leaner (definition) then lift heavy and eat right. Simples.

p.s. you cannot spot reduce or choose which areas are going to shape up when...it all takes time and lots of patience and hard work.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Forget bat, bingo, and chicken wings..I have a condor wingspan. *sigh* :embarassed:

For me, reps with 5-20 lb. weights are helping. Power lifting is out....bad back, bad knees.
  • emily_bird
    Options
    The best exercise I've ever done for that and it works REALLY fast (seriously, I don't have any flab when I do this routinely) is a Callanetics exercise. Stand and raise your arms so that they are shoulder height. Rotate your arms, so that your palms face behind you. Then bring your arms to your back so that they are pointing behind you. Raise your arms as high as they can and then do a pulse of about a 1/2 inch for about a minute or two. Hand weights can be added later on. I use my wrist weight of 1 kg. If you want to do it properly, then make sure your pelvic floor is tucked and lower your knees.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

What exactly is wrong with the advice to lose fat and strength train?
  • cookn_mama
    cookn_mama Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have heard that you need to lift weights to your side and raise arms toward the back to tighten the chicken wings.
  • clobercow
    Options

Nothing. That's the wrong advice for her goal. There is no such thing as "toning" . She wants to get rid of the flabby area. Exercising that muscle won't do that. The very tiny amount of growth she may get will do nothing to aid the goal of losing the fat. Diet is the answer to losing fat..
  • keepitcroosh
    keepitcroosh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    You wont get 'body builder arms'. Just work on your biceps and triceps a couple times a week and youll see results in no time. Do all the machines at the gym, do free weights. Im only doing 20lb weights and i do not have giant muscles, or even great definition. People are saying 5lbs, do whatever feels comfortable to you. 5lbs feels too light for me & makes working out a bore. Dont be scared to move up.
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Cupcakehippiemommy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    It's incredible that women today are still so misinformed on weight training.

Please don't go out and waste your hard earned money on some pink 2lb dumbells!

Lift heavy, eat right and throw some cardio in. You won't become a bodybuilder... I promise.

There are a lot of good (beginner) arm routines on bodybuilding.com. Sift through there and see if you like something. Give it a month or two... if you get JACKED and become a bodybuilder let me know how the hell you managed that! Good luck :)

^^^ this! I should have started earlier,but I got informed and I'm now seeing results.Good luck doll!
  • plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I use to faithfully use a resitance band, hooked it to the patio door handle and pull up from behind my head. i never counted how many reps just did it till it hurt too much took a break and did the same thing, onece a day. it worked well for me when i did it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Overall body fat loss. The best way to achieve this is a small calorie deficit (1/2 lb per week or 20% less than tdee) and heavy weight training. Additionally, high protein can help with preventing additional muscle loss. I generally set macros to 35% carbs, 40% protein and 25% fats.

If you want a good program then you can good strong lift 5x5 or go to www.bodyrock.tv. Also for fat loss, its best to keep it under 15 reps but to maximize strength gains keep it under 10.. 6-8 is even better. And dont worry you will not gain any muscle since you will be on a calorie deficit.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Nothing. That's the wrong advice for her goal. There is no such thing as "toning" . She wants to get rid of the flabby area. Exercising that muscle won't do that. The very tiny amount of growth she may get will do nothing to aid the goal of losing the fat. Diet is the answer to losing fat..

Resistance training is a very desirable component for its effects on nutrient partitioning/lbm retention. Diet alone will induce weight loss. Training will greatly improve LBM retention.
  • clobercow
    Options

Resistance training is a very desirable component for its effects on nutrient partitioning/lbm retention.

If done correctly and intensely enough.

I'm just setting the correct example for the context.
  • katejayne4
    Options
    Hey,

Have you tried kettle bell?? I found it really good for toning my arms. There are some great classes or if not in your area dvd's with kettle bell workouts