I'm a new runner and need some tips! :D

Options
Firstly...HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE! :)

Anyways, I started running about 2 miles (5 times a week) the past week, but the problem is, I had shin splints after I ran. I'll admit though, I didn't properly warm up and cool down.

So, I took 4 days of rest from running to let my shin splints heel up and I'm pretty sure I don't have them anymore. However, I was thinking about going for a nice 1.5 mile run or so later today, so I was wondering how I should warm up and cool down to avoid getting shin splints this time?

Thank you all :)

Replies

• junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Do you have good runners? That can make a HUGE difference.

Also, dynamic warm-up (so brisk walking, jumping jacks, etc.), and static cool-down (hamstring stretches etc.)

This has worked for me so far, but I am excited to see what other have to say as well.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Walk for about 5 minutes and run the first 5 minutes real easy to warm up. A 5 to 10 minute walk at the end with some stretching is good for cool down.

For the first few months you may be prone to lower leg injury while the bones, tendons, and muscles adjust to running. If something starts to feel not right then don't be afraid to take an off day.
  • bermo7
    bermo7 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    just remember as a beginner not to just go out your front door and start running you need to walk for id say a good 5 mins to warm up!
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Argue with others on a dynamic warmup and ensuring you have the right shoes (get fitted at a running store). A good way to warm your shins is this:

Stand with the balls of your feet on a step (or similar). Move up and down, like a calf raise, rapidly for maybe 100-200 repeats (they go by quick)

Your stride could be attributing to shin splints too if you are landing too much on your heel

Happy Thanksgiving
  • SophieSLP
    SophieSLP Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I used to get horribly debilitating shin splints. As soon as I switched from Nike to New Balance, I haven't had shin splints AT ALL. Good for you for starting running!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Shin splints are usually from landing hard on your heels. Try shortening your step and make sure you have good "running" shoes, not just athletic shoes picked out by yourself. Shin muscles are something we don't normally use much so strengthening them takes some time.

I disagree with any static stretching before exercise. You want to gently warm your muscles not stretch and break down fibers. Just walking for 5 minutes is good or do some jumping jacks. Stretching is for after a workout.

Edited to say what I meant not what my fingers typed!
  • junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Mokey, you said you disagreed with the dynamic warm-up, but then gave the exact same examples of dynamic warm ups that I gave lol.
  • blwalton70
    blwalton70 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    TOTALLY warm up! But sometimes you will get them no matter what. When I was training for my half marathon this last April, by mile 6 I was in so much pain in my shins, I was taping them to get some relief. A friend of mine mentioned "compression socks/sleeves" I haven't looked back and no longer waste money on tape. Mine are Zensahs and I LOVE THEM. They come in different sizes and colors (mine are hot pink ;-) They have totally eliminated my shin splints. They promote good cirulation and blodd flow and are also good to wear after running too..... Hope this works and good job getting out and running! It's one of my FAV work out to do! Oh yeah, make sure you have good running shoes (see a running specialtist at a running shoe store to see what kind of runner your are, that will make a difference in what shoes you buy!
  • AmandaPandah
    AmandaPandah Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Don't do it!

It's super addictive ;)
  • gracieabem
    Options
    I'll admit that I've never stretched. :o I always walk briskly for at least five minutes before run and cool down with another walk afterwards. I'm not saying to take my advice - I've always wondered if I'll regret not stretching but I haven't had any issues yet. And I'm increasing my distance at the moment.
  • iqnas
    iqnas Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jnetholmer
    Options
    SHOES!! I used to get shin splits all the time. Almost gave up the idea of being a runner. I went to get fitted at the running spot after trying everything from proper warm ups to stretching. After I bought my new shoes I never had that issue again!!
  • ernielaurie
    Options
    a friend used to get them, she swears that while you are seated, tap your toes, (as in lift your foot leaving your heel on the ground, like tapping to music). Just keep tapping them and that will ward off splints.
  • bushyuppie
    Options
    Same as your other replies.
    1. New and appropriate running shoes will probably address your shin splints. Appropriate being running shoes that fit your stride. A good running store (i.e., The Running Room, or similar) will be able to observe your walking/running gait and fit you with the right shoes.
    2. Lots of warm-up and easing into the level of exercise (distance and frequency).
  • Mr_Stephenson
    Mr_Stephenson Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Warm ups are not always a good idea, generally for running you need stability rather than flexibility so this is one is purely a matter of preference. Unless you are going to start running as fast as you can for an extended period of time from a very cold start, in which case light jogging to warm up is a good idea.

You should however get yourself fitted for a pair of running shoes at a reputable store (most will do this for free). The important thing here is to ignore what the shoes look like, their only purpose it to protect your feet, joints and accommodate your running style... in JJB or similar they will throw you in a pair of clownshoes that could actually be dangerous to run in (I've seen many a kid being sold Nike air basketball shoes for distance running and wondering why they are suffering endless injuries from their £200 trainers).

If there is a sweatshop or fitness first near you they are superb and can usually recommend something suitable for around £30.

Other than that just build up slowly... oh and aim to run a half marathon, its always a nice goal.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Mokey, you said you disagreed with the dynamic warm-up, but then gave the exact same examples of dynamic warm ups that I gave lol.

Sorry should have had static stretching not dynamic!
  • weloveourboys
    weloveourboys Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Shin splints are not really from a lack of warm up or cool down. New runners, especially, are very prone to shin splints, especially if you went from not running to running 2 miles a day 5 straight days. Bad news is, you sort of have to bear with them for now - ice them after you run for about 15-20 minutes. Take an advil before your run. Good news is, they will go away after your legs build more strength and get used to the impact. One thing you definintely should do is to stretch AFTER your runs. Stretch out your shins (google shin stretching and you will see some tips). In the meantime, I would run every other day as opposed to daily.

ETA: as far as warming up, the best way to warm up for a run is to run - jog lightly and slowly.
  • mm367831
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the help guys! I'm so thankful that the MFP community is so helpful!

I admit that I pretty much just opened the door and ran and did not do a proper warm up/cool down and I've also been running in an old pair of tennis shoes. I'll be sure to get a proper fitting next week!

However, just the other day I placed an order for a pair of Nike Free Runs (I've ran in these shoes before and now that I think about it, I didn't get much pain from shin splints in them...unfortunately, I had to return them because I got a size too small). I know that it may take a little bit of time to get used to the minimal arch support, but what are your thoughts on these shoes?
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Good running shows are a must. You might try walking some before you start your run. Get to walking at a little quicker pace then start your run. Do the same thing afe=ter your run, waklk to loosen up the muscles. The shin splits will go away as you get into shape, so thats not a big deal
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Ahhhhhhhhh shin splints. The bane of my running. I had them for about 6 weeks in total. Ran them out against what my physio told me.

Try http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sport-injuries/ankle-achilles-shin-pain/shin-splints/shin-splints-stretching-exercises

this is what my physio told me to do about 3 times a day. I also was told to ice it up & down the shin with a block of ice & massage the calf muscle.

I still ran on mine though, even though I was told to not even walk. I changed shoes & that's what caused most of the pain.... went back to BEFORE it hurt & I'm fine. But now have a slight limp cause I'm scared of hurting it again....

If you do what I did & run on it.... if you can't take it... you run the risk of causing a worse injury....stress fracture.

BTW I got them about 2 months into my running when before that I was fine...all up till I changed shoes & tried to change my running style (don't do that...run how you run)