Can you keep it off? scary article

Options

Replies

• ChrisRiches
    Options
    5'5.5" tall at 127lbs. and you still want to lose more weight???!!! I would take your "rut" any day!

This.

I'm 4'11" at 127, and I while I need to lose a bit more, I certainly wouldn't if I were almost 6" taller.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    The writer of the article seems rather bitter and b*tchy and assumes that everyone (including medical professionals) "hates fat people." Even in the end, she's eating way too little and she hates it and is willing to make herself miserable forever? WTF? This article sucks.

This. The despondence in the article is ridiculous and gives off an aura of inevitable failure. She's lost the fight because she's already given up in her mind. There are those who lose the weight and keep it off. Every day is a battle against gaining it back; but that emphasizes the need for one to change their habits rather than just going on a diet.

Every day is a battle; you win some, you lose some, but you never give up! You find ways to adapt, roll with the punches, and move on.
  • BrownEyedGrrl
    Options
    The writer of the article seems rather bitter and b*tchy and assumes that everyone (including medical professionals) "hates fat people." Even in the end, she's eating way too little and she hates it and is willing to make herself miserable forever? WTF? This article sucks.

Yeah you definitely got it right. Never even finished reading the article cause it got way too ridiculous!
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I thought the article sucked...she never changed the way she ate, she seemed to diet all along.. Unless I read it wrong. She complained through the whole thing..

I for one to plan on gaining anything back and I am not starving myself either.. Some people just are never happy and complain about everything.. I have a feeling she is one...
  • kalch
    kalch Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I had written a whole response, then i thought the following sentence sums it up.

Just remember, the tortoise won.
  • Kathy_TheVampireSlayer
    Options

This is the same way i felt about it.
  • Starla_
    Starla_ Posts: 349
    Options

Just remember, the tortoise won.

Yes!
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    The writer, I think, is being as honest as she can be. And she is talking about her own experience although she does generalize some things...like medical professionals hate fat people. No doubt there is a LOT of judgement floating around in the world. I believe there IS a genetic link for obesity and it makes being slim harder for some people (the writer is one of them). I think I am also but I don't plan to give up anytime soon. A large part of the battle for me is inside my own head. And I wonder over and over why can't people just be accepted as they are. It is this lack of acceptance both from myself and from others that led to "diets" which never worked for the long haul. I feel very sad for the writer and painful things she has endured.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    That article is messed up.

So many people complain about how hard it is to lose weight, and how they just can't.. and blah blah blah. Honestly, stressing about it makes it worse.. and it's not rocket science.

If you eat like crap, your going to get results like crap.. but if you eat well, and do what you are supposed to, then you'll be ok.

I'd like to know how much lean muscle mass she lost during this whole experiment.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    i didn't read the article, but based on the comments here, i'm pretty sure i can fill in the blanks and be at least 90% correct about what was written.

i would never look down on somebody because they are fat. i do look down on people who have 100 different excuses for why they are fat, but none of the excuses include themselves. i see it all of the time, even on MFP - thyroid conditions. hormones. gluten allergies. etc. etc.. etc... whether real or imaginary, these are all still excuses. people get fat because they stuff their faces and don't exercise. i got fat because i stuffed my face and didn't exercise. it was my fault... nobody else's. until these people (like the lady who wrote that article) accept personal responsibility for the choices they've made in their lives to get where they are, i don't see how they can ever change.

fortunately, most people on this site understand this point and they stop looking for somebody or something else to blame and they start changing their lifestyle. but some people will never have that "lightbulb going on over their head" moment and will seek excuse after excuse after excuse to justify their failures. that's not a good way to spend the rest of one's life, in my humble opinion.
  • igottaworkout
    igottaworkout Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I'm just glad it's not as hard for me as it is for the writer of the article. I'm grateful I don't need surgery and that my lowered calories and increased exercise are having the desired effect. Maybe she was just doing one type of exercise and her body got used to it.. I like high intensity interval exercise that changes completely as soon as it gets easy to do... it works.
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    She's gone through fat girl hell and she's convinced herself she needs to stay there. She's at where she's at. Been there. Not post-surgery, as I never considered it, due to my aversion to the medical profession in general, but everything else? Yup. I don't blame her one bit for being bitter. I have a fair amount of bitterness myself when it comes to society's attitude toward the obese. Unfortunately, she's judged it correctly.

Just wish she and others would open their minds or get fed up enough to consider the virtues of a plant-based, mostly raw diet. By eating this way, your body gets the nutrients it requires. It's no longer a battle between you and the fat. The fat melts away because it is no longer required [fat holds toxins ingested in toxic food away from internal organs. Once the toxins are no longer ingested, the fat is no longer required.] Simple. No confusion. Take what you want and leave the rest to bicker amongst themselves.

12 weeks, 33 pounds down and looking forward to the rest of my life as a well-nourished, healthy, non-fat person.

Hollycat:flowerforyou:
  • captainsuperpants
    captainsuperpants Posts: 64 Member
    Options

So many people complain about how hard it is to lose weight, and how they just can't.. and blah blah blah. Honestly, stressing about it makes it worse.. and it's not rocket science.

This is, i'd say, the key phrase here. We almost never talk about mental health and how it affects the body. In the future i think they'll find many more health-related issues are due directly to stress. Stress could even be the key difference between why some people lose weight more easily than others. Stress doesn't mean a person that works too hard, or whatever. Stress is simply how much YOU stress and how you deal (or get anxious, or depressed, or however your body/mind interprets stressful events and what makes YOU feel stressed).

I'd be paying more attention to what is going on in your head and heart, that's where it all begins
  • tinytasha7
    tinytasha7 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I am not able to read the article where I'm at, but I got the general idea. I know that until I committed myself to a FULLY BALANCED lifestyle change (and this included things unrelated to weight loss and fitness), I was entirely unsuccessful in losing any weight.

If I gained anything, I found anyone and anything I could to blame instead of looking into what parts of me were keeping me from losing. And while I believe there were outside, uncontrollable factors to me gaining the weight I did, I also spent a lot of time complaining about it (10 years) and not a lot of doing anything for it.

In the last month that has changed, and I'm not sure what I did differently except for accepting that this isn't and can't be done for me. I have to do it. I also had to accept that there were a lot of parts of my life that were not working and do something about those. This included quitting a part time job and a full time job and finding one full time job I love.

I don't think most people need to be so drastic but there is a definite mindset shift that needs to happen. I am eating more carefully, measuring everything, documenting everything, working at being more organized, less procrastinating, and being more loving to myself.

After 20 years of working 2-3 jobs at a time, and having no time for any of the above, this was a dramatic shift. I am less panicked and much more calm about things, and I actually enjoy being ME for a change.

I know that I will get to where I want to be and I will stay there.

Robyn
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's impossible but for me it's not working. I eat anywhere from 600 to 1800 calories a day (sometimes more, at weekends, sometimes less) and exercise 7 days a week, 45 minutes minimum, 2 hours max and do not lose weight. I gain muscle but barely lose fat. You would think I was tiny now, but I'm 5'5.5, 127lb's and 21.2% bf. I can't lose weight and if I eat more or exercise less I gain. It' s horrible :/ I hope no one else gets stuck in this rut.

I think your perceptions are warped.
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Well - now that was uplifting, wasn't it?
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    people get fat because they stuff their faces and don't exercise. i got fat because i stuffed my face and didn't exercise. it was my fault... nobody else's. until these people (like the lady who wrote that article) accept personal responsibility for the choices they've made in their lives to get where they are, i don't see how they can ever change.

fortunately, most people on this site understand this point and they stop looking for somebody or something else to blame and they start changing their lifestyle. but some people will never have that "lightbulb going on over their head" moment and will seek excuse after excuse after excuse to justify their failures. that's not a good way to spend the rest of one's life, in my humble opinion.

These people are stuck and apparently, so are you a little bit. In some wrong-thinking. You've got it partly right, but you haven't asked enough questions. In particular, the question "WHY? are they stuffing their faces and not exercising?" You have to understand the reason in order to make it stop. The assumption that they're all just pigs is a load of pigsh and an easy answer that absolves everyone of responsibility and civility towards each other and keeps everyone stuck in the same catch 22.

The REASON is because people are ingesting boatloads of toxins and crap from their so-called 'food'. When we do this, our body has no choice but to create fat cells to house the toxins and keep them away from the internal organs. Until we STOP eating the toxic 'food', we will be forever fighting fat, cravings and weight re-gain. Eating fewer toxins is not the same as eliminating them altogether.

SOLUTION: 1) Accept that you cannot eat whatever you want whenever you want [grow up] 2) Accept that you are what you eat 3) Get Mad at all the misinformation that's out there and the confusion it has caused you...sometimes for decades [go ahead and blame someone, but don't let it paralyze you] 4) Take Action and do your homework. Research and choose to eat a 70-80% plant-based, raw diet, or variation thereof that suits you, eliminating all the toxins that you were formerly ingesting. 5) Watch the pounds melt miraculously away 6) inform others and don't get discouraged when they inform you that you are cray cray. 7) never give up.

• WinnerVictorious
    Options
    I am not able to read the article where I'm at, but I got the general idea. I know that until I committed myself to a FULLY BALANCED lifestyle change (and this included things unrelated to weight loss and fitness), I was entirely unsuccessful in losing any weight.

If I gained anything, I found anyone and anything I could to blame instead of looking into what parts of me were keeping me from losing. And while I believe there were outside, uncontrollable factors to me gaining the weight I did, I also spent a lot of time complaining about it (10 years) and not a lot of doing anything for it.

In the last month that has changed, and I'm not sure what I did differently except for accepting that this isn't and can't be done for me. I have to do it. I also had to accept that there were a lot of parts of my life that were not working and do something about those. This included quitting a part time job and a full time job and finding one full time job I love.

I don't think most people need to be so drastic but there is a definite mindset shift that needs to happen. I am eating more carefully, measuring everything, documenting everything, working at being more organized, less procrastinating, and being more loving to myself.

After 20 years of working 2-3 jobs at a time, and having no time for any of the above, this was a dramatic shift. I am less panicked and much more calm about things, and I actually enjoy being ME for a change.

I know that I will get to where I want to be and I will stay there.

Robyn

you'll get there because you have finally discovered that you hold all of the power.
  • WinnerVictorious
    Options
    people get fat because they stuff their faces and don't exercise. i got fat because i stuffed my face and didn't exercise. it was my fault... nobody else's. until these people (like the lady who wrote that article) accept personal responsibility for the choices they've made in their lives to get where they are, i don't see how they can ever change.

These people are stuck and apparently, so are you a little bit. In some wrong-thinking. You've got it partly right, but you haven't asked enough questions. In particular, the question "WHY? are they stuffing their faces and not exercising?" You have to understand the reason in order to make it stop. The assumption that they're all just pigs is a load of pigsh and an easy answer that absolves everyone of responsibility and civility towards each other and keeps everyone stuck in the same catch 22.

The REASON is because people are ingesting boatloads of toxins and crap from their so-called 'food'. When we do this, our body has no choice but to create fat cells to house the toxins and keep them away from the internal organs. Until we STOP eating the toxic 'food', we will be forever fighting fat, cravings and weight re-gain. Eating fewer toxins is not the same as eliminating them altogether.

SOLUTION: 1) Accept that you cannot eat whatever you want whenever you want [grow up] 2) Accept that you are what you eat 3) Get Mad at all the misinformation that's out there and the confusion it has caused you...sometimes for decades [go ahead and blame someone, but don't let it paralyze you] 4) Take Action and do your homework. Research and choose to eat a 70-80% plant-based, raw diet, or variation thereof that suits you, eliminating all the toxins that you were formerly ingesting. 5) Watch the pounds melt miraculously away 6) inform others and don't get discouraged when they inform you that you are cray cray. 7) never give up.

i'll say this as politely as i can. you are dead wrong. and i didn't call them pigs, so don't put words in my mouth. i said they make excuses... time after time after time. nobody gets fat because they are unhappy. they get fat because they eat more calories than their body needs over a long period of time and don't exercise it off. there are plenty of unhappy obese people. there are plenty of unhappy fit people. there are plenty of unhappy people currently in the process of losing weight. don't conflate the 2 issues, they do not have anything to do with one another. if they did, then nobody could do anything about their weight until they found happiness. that's obviously not the case.

also, that nonsense you're spewing about food toxins and the need for a raw plant-base diet is also wrong. i personally don't care what you eat. you can live on bird seed for all i care, and if the placebo effect makes you feel better for doing so, more power to you, but we are omnivores. always have been and always will be. our bodies also do a wonderful job filtering toxins on their own. that's why we have a liver and kidneys.
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    That actually wasn't scary at all. It was a pathetic victim-mentality article written by someone who never bothered to change her THINKING.

:love:

This. Not to mention the fact that this woman claims that almost all of those who are formerly obese have to basically starve themselves to stay thin. I know plenty of people who lost a lot of weight with a reasonable deficit and a good amount of exercise, and they happily maintain on a regular amount of calories. Maybe she should get her thyroid checked, or something. That or she's lying...