Women who lift

Options
2»

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Oh another thing i am not sure this applies to you but all girls out there step away from the barbie weights and get down and dirty with some dumbbells!

:noway: Chalene extreme don't do barbie weights...... It does not have many reps and the weight lifting workouts have absolutely no cardio to it.... :sad:
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    My wife won't post in the forums, so...

I can tell you, she went from an empty barbell (45lbs) to a 210lb deadlift, 100lb bench, 190lb squat and 70lb overhead press in a couple of months without gaining any size whatsoever.

Good post- great example of what normal women will do and can do if they set out to JUST DO IT. Personally Im tired of the "ive been lifting for 4 minutes and Im so huge" posts. 60# still to lose and they think its MUSCLE making them look big? Oy...
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I can squat my body-weight (100kgs/220lbs) and yes, I do look a bit bulky .... but it's not my muscle making me look bulky.... it's the fact that I weigh 100kgs.
  • sallychristmas84
    Options
    I have been weight-lifting for over two years, and have yet to see myself get bulky. And I don't use "Barbie" weights. I squat with the barbells (+ weight), trap bar, and bench with the barbell (+ weight). I have noticed strength increase and an increase in definition. Most females will not "naturally" get big and bulky simply by weight-lifting. I love weight-lifting, and will continue to do it-
  • theologynerd
    theologynerd Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I didn't take pics before I started lifting, but... I hit 150 lbs., which was 5 under my goal weight, and I did NOT like what I saw. I was size 9/10 jeans. About 6 weeks of body weight exercises, I was still 150 lbs, but was a size 5/6 jeans. That's what I'm wearing in my profile pic.
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Before heavy compound barbell lifting I was squeezing into size 12 jeans at 5'2''. After a year committed to squats, bench and deadlifts, I am now in a size 6 with plenty of room to spare (maybe even 4s actually..hmmm). This is with sensible but not freakish eating habits and with fairly moderate cardio (steady-state eliptical, running intervals.)
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I highly doubt you have made that much progress in 5 weeks to feel that way. Just to look like I do in my photos, I have to flex just the right way AND its taken me 6 months....

No one thinks anything of me other than "you are so skinny and I love your toned arms"

I am the opposite....I DONT WANT TO BE TONED AND SKINNY.....I WANT TO BE BUFF AS *kitten*. lol. Once your BF% goes down....you will see that you are not bulky at all.

And I am sorry to say...I am getting tired of all these women fretting over muscle bulk. Like its the devil. If you are that afraid of it, get back on the elliptical and out of my weight room.

Please dont take that as being mean, I just see this everyday.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Oh another thing i am not sure this applies to you but all girls out there step away from the barbie weights and get down and dirty with some dumbbells!

:noway: Chalene extreme don't do barbie weights...... It does not have many reps and the weight lifting workouts have absolutely no cardio to it.... :sad:

so it has you lifting 100-200 pounds per rep on the compound movements after a few months? I'm genuinely curious.
  • melbatoast917
    melbatoast917 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Ummm.. I've been lifting weights for about 8 months (I lift heavy) and I am not bulky. I lift twice as much as typical women, too. I doubt very highly in 5 short weeks you have developed enough muscle to fear being mistaken as a man. Settle down, Arnold. lol
  • melbatoast917
    melbatoast917 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I highly doubt you have made that much progress in 5 weeks to feel that way. Just to look like I do in my photos, I have to flex just the right way AND its taken me 6 months....

No one thinks anything of me other than "you are so skinny and I love your toned arms"

I am the opposite....I DONT WANT TO BE TONED AND SKINNY.....I WANT TO BE BUFF AS *kitten*. lol. Once your BF% goes down....you will see that you are not bulky at all.

And I am sorry to say...I am getting tired of all these women fretting over muscle bulk. Like its the devil. If you are that afraid of it, get back on the elliptical and out of my weight room.

Please dont take that as being mean, I just see this everyday.

YUSSSSS
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options

so it has you lifting 100-200 pounds per rep on the compound movements after a few months? I'm genuinely curious.

No it does not - it has you lift whatever weights YOU can after a few months....It just so happen that I did stronglifts for three months until it bored me to death, and then some other dumbell stuff after that before I started Chalean - so I can do compound movements with between 60-100lbs.... Pure lower body stuff with more....

If you are genuinely curious, go google that specific program....It is not cardio - it does have separate cardio dvd's (as she so wisely believe that a mix of cardio and strengh is good) but the main part of her program is strengh...I have not used the cardio dvd's yet, because I like running for cardio....
    It's a good program for beginners and experienced lifters alike, because you work with whatever weight is heavy for YOU....
  • habapu
    habapu Posts: 25
    Options
    Bump