Slap across the face....

Options
I was going through my old blog posts. Some dating back to Jan. 2011. I could be way past my goal weight. I even found a blog post from Jan. 3, 2012 where I set goals to lose 30 lbs. Seeing how I aint really lost nothing that really hits me hard. Its a hard slap across the face. I don't know why I keep doing this to myself. I feel like I'm the only one that has failed this many times.

I want to get healthy more than anything. But can't seem to find out why I keep letting myself fall. I really think I have reach my breaking point!!!! I need some support buddies that will be there to keep my on track...Kick in my butt when I dont do good!

Replies

• roxazaloah
    Options
    It's really hard especially when you don't have the support you need. Most of it comes from having a right mindset to actually go through with it. I'm having trouble keeping up with it, but as crazy as it sounds, weighing myself daily is a reason for me to keep going. Getting mad at the scale sometimes tells me to stick with eating better, and to turn down all the sweet stuff I keep seeing now that Christmas is coming closer by the day.

But I digress.

I've never had much support or anyone to really tell me, get up, quit eating so much, and move. I just out of the blue decided to try and settle myself into eating a little healthier and drinking more water. It is nice to have people there to tell you good job, when you find out you've lost like, 5 pounds and you're ecstatic with yourself. It's a kind of natural high, lol.

Feel free to add me; I'm kind of in the beginning stages of this journey myself, but at 320 lbs, I really decided I need to do something about my problem, otherwise I may not see my 40th birthday (I'm 23). That aside, I'll gladly give you a swift e-kick in the rear and tell you what I tell myself daily: YOU CAN DO THIS. DON'T GIVE UP.
  • ashsmile78
    ashsmile78 Posts: 3,528 Member
    Options
    I can be your buddy. I have had a lot of ups and downs lately. So we could mutually kick each other in the butt. Feel free to add me.
  • Cherbear67
    Cherbear67 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Honey, I know what you mean about reaching your breaking point.. You have to want it bad enough.. I know I left myself go for years ad it finally kicked in that I was fat... I went steady for 7 months and then quit for 9 months.. Boxing Day last year I had had enough and knew I needed to get back on track... This year has been especially hard with a few deaths in the family and a few other things but I haven't given up.. I am finally almost at my goal weight and I feel much better..

Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    How strict are you trying to be when you set your goals? Huge and drastic changes are so hard to stick with. Try making one small change (like say, eat a large salad at the start of lunch and dinner every day) and then focus on that until it's a habit. After you don't have to work at it, you just do it because it's part of your day, add in another positive change...maybe exercising for 10 minutes every day (go for a walk or do a youtube dance video). Make a bunch of healthy habits over time and you will have a long term recipe for success. Good luck to you!
  • SeaJenni
    SeaJenni Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I've been here two months and lost 4 pounds, but I haven't weighed in, so maybe I gained it back. There are a lot of people on here who have lost 20 pounds in two months. I look at their progress compared to mine and feel pretty bad. I could really stand to lose 20 pounds. I have an event this weekend and I wanted to look great, but instead, I look the same, so I don't want to go.

I have made some very small progress, and I will get on here everyday and even if I make progress at a snail pace, I hope eventually it will add up to something or I'll finally gain momentum.
  • Tunia85
    Tunia85 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    For me figuring out that I don't need to kill myself to exercise, and walking until I get the hang of it helped. Seeing the immediate results by using a HRM, and Endomodo helped also, and finally walking with my dog is more fun. If you don't have one, maybe a friend?
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    some people respond well to friendly competition, such as being involved in a "biggest loser" competition among co-workers. maybe something like that would motivate you to stick with it. others discover they enjoy the challenge of pushing themselves to do something they never thought they could do, such as running a 5K or 10K race. that's a more individual challenge where the goal is not the weight loss itself, but some future milestone (usually on a fixed date) and the weight loss is a happy byproduct of getting ready and fit for that milestone. you could try the C25K program and see if focusing on a goal like that helps make this easier. then when you're ready, sign up for a race and then start training for that race.
  • FearTheFool
    Options
    I'm very much an all or nothing person and I know that's what's affected me. One bad day "Oh I'm crap at this I can't do it" when really what I should be doing is going, okay one bad day let's try again tomorrow. Bad week? Lets have a good week.

Celebrate the one little thing you do each day, even if it's just drinking 1 glass of water instead of a glass of pop. Acknowledge that maybe it wasn't the best day- but accept what you DID do.

I've been off MFP for a while so I could really do with some new friends to help motivate me too so feel free to add me :)
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    It took me all summer to lose just 7lbs.. I wasn't exercising just watching portion control and the scale wouldn't budge it wasn't until sept. I added bike riding around the neighbor hood and lost a little more but WHEN I started going to the gym and lifting weights and counting calories I have seen it drop.. I am down about 20lbs now and boy am I motivated to keep going.

I even lost weight over Thanksgiving and I ate what I wanted yesterday.. You can add me if you like..

Try some Zumba at home..it is is so much and you can do it whenever you have the time..
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I think about where I could be now if I'd just gotten it together sooner. But, I didnn't. I am where I am. And I can either mope about it and dwell on it or I can change so I'm not still stuck in the same spot next time. Do yourself a favor and pick option B.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

I want to get healthy more than anything. But can't seem to find out why I keep letting myself fall. I really think I have reach my breaking point!!!! I need some support buddies that will be there to keep my on track...Kick in my butt when I dont do good!

Unfortunately, in the end you have to do it. No one can make you, or motivate you enough to make you.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Your taking a big step by admitting your faults, now all you have left to do is take action. You can do this!! The four keys that made me successful were Portion Control, Moderation, Substitution and Exercise.

Also, I found I was more successful when I made mini goals. For example:

I will run for 2 minutes straight this week
    I will add a cup of fruit and/or veggies to each meal
    I will workout for 1 hour 3 times a week

After you succeed with each one, create another mini goal to take it's place. It can be overwhelming if you are looking at the big picture. If you create smaller goals, it breaks it down.

You got this!!
  • Blown_Away1
    Blown_Away1 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean! Always looking for more support buddies that can help in that area :)
  • bruceinthepit88
    Options
    I was going through something similar with smoking. Since joining MFP 3 months ago, that has been taken care of. And I have been running regularly and working out at least 2 times a week on an average. There have been a few occasions when I slacked off but that one achievement of staying away from cigarettes still told me I could do it.

So I guess you just need to take it step by step

One thing at a time. Mini goals, like crazybookworm said

Also feel free to add me, anyone. I would love more people to keeping push me ahead.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    You can do this. Don't look at how far you have to go. Break it up into smaller chunks. Set a goal to lose 5 or 10 pounds, and go for THAT one. Then when you reach that goal once, you know you can do it again. Make smaller changes that end up adding up to a lot. Stop drinking soda. Park at the back of the parking lot and walk. Walk up the stairs instead of taking the elevator/escalator.

Before you know it, you will be looking back saying "Wow, I can't believe I ever actually thought I couldn't do it."

<3
  • trchristy
    trchristy Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I know where you are. One thing at a time and have realistic goals. It took you how long to become this weight? I have to constantly remind my self it took me a long time to gain this weight and it will be a process to get the weight off. Add me if you would like little steps at a time we all will walk those steps together... Hang in there. Some progress is sooooo much better than none. Look at what you have done so far, and try to think positive.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I know where you are. One thing at a time and have realistic goals. It took you how long to become this weight? I have to constantly remind my self it took me a long time to gain this weight and it will be a process to get the weight off. Add me if you would like little steps at a time we all will walk those steps together... Hang in there. Some progress is sooooo much better than none. Look at what you have done so far, and try to think positive.

Exactly.. It took me 9 months to gain the last block of weight gain which was almost 30 lbs.. right now I am in 5 months for just about 20 lbs..I am pretty sure I will lose all 30 before the 9 months is up but I use that to put me in check when I get in a mood about it. My first goal is to get rid of that 30lbs.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,988 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is a one man show. You have to find your own strategies and your own motivation. People can cheer you on, and this site is great for that. But it is you who makes the decision to eat, to exercise, to sleep, and to generally take care of the only body you will ever have.

You can do this. If you have a weak moment, you've just joined the human race. Start again. Right now, not tomorrow.
  • lizapettit
    lizapettit Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Add me if you like! I would make it 3-4 weeks and quit, I did that sooooo many times. This time I decided to focus on physical activities that I actually enjoy and that my diet didn't have to be **perfect**. Now 2 months going strong, I have more determination than ever. You just have to find a way to do it that is sustainable for YOU. :)
  • louised88
    Options
    I've been in the same boat! I've decided to focus on not falling off the wagon before xmas as a mini-goal, so I'll be tracking and staying on point until then, and then I'll reevalute and maybe up my exercise or adjust my cals. Add me, we can help each otherstay on track!