Climbing/Bouldering

Options
Hi guys,

I'm thinking about going bouldering tonight, I've been maybe 3 times before, and sucked mainly cos of my weight to strength ratio. i don't think its improved much but it probably won't unless I do it more. Does anyone have any tips to help me maximise the workout? I m strictly bouldering, not harness style climbing. I can barely do one pull up so upper body strength really needs some work. I think my current plan is to just try some routes/problems and try to push myself a bit. But any advice would be great!

Thanks

Replies

• pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    No boulderers out there?
  • bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Climbing is pretty dynamic and requires a lot of different skills and strengths.. Mental and physical.

I haven't climbed in 20 years because of my back. But now that I'm getting in to strength training, I've thought back on the good old days and thought about how much better I would have been had I been doing pull up training.

So, I'd suggest pull ups. If you have pounds to lose, that is probably even more important.

I was doing 5.9's and some 10's. I have no doubt I could have gotten into the 11's and 12's had I been more focused on my strength training. I understood the mechanics of climbing, but I just couldn't support my weight once the routes got to a certain difficulty

I've got friends up here that still go out, I'm hoping I might get back out there some day
  • wmagoo27
    wmagoo27 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    A strong grip and core strength are essential. Dead L-Hangs from holds are a good exercise to build those up. Hang from some holds or a bar (with your fingers) and hold your legs straight out in front for time. Remember though, technique and footwork are more important than pure strength in any kind of climbing, and getting on the rock more often will improve those. Hopefully you have some more experienced friends to go with. Watching better climbers closely can be very educational.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your responses. I think my biggest problem is simply my upper body strength, especially compared to my weight. I find it very hard to support my bulky frame in its current state, so if there are any moves that require me to 'hang and lift' it's almost impossible.
  • wmagoo27
    wmagoo27 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your responses. I think my biggest problem is simply my upper body strength, especially compared to my weight. I find it very hard to support my bulky frame in its current state, so if there are any moves that require me to 'hang and lift' it's almost impossible.

So much of climbing involves gripping and pulling. If those are your weakest points, then those are the ones you need to work on most. You may consider starting with you feet on the ground, pulling down on an overhead surface. If you go to a gym, a lat pull down machine can also be beneficial here because you can set it up for a lot less weight. Whatever you do, take your time. I was quite a bit heavier when I first started climbing, and I ended up straining a pulley in my right index finger from too much stress. Slow progression when you start will help your tendons strengthen, as they do so more slowly than muscle. You might also consider inverted bodyweight rows with rings or a bar.
  • jlzking
    jlzking Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    bouldering is incredible for strength, you should try to do it at least twice a week, and in order to build up strength, do endurance bouldering. If you are doing it at an indoor wall all you have to do is traverse as many times as possible without a break. I would suggest you also go for sport climbing, the big misconception about climbing is that you have to have huge upper body strength, you really don't, not when you are starting and doing lower grades. Its all about using your legs. Your arms balance you, but you should concentrate on finding your feet first and using your legs to stand up, then find arms to balance you out. Maybe go for lessons with an instructor, they will teach you the correct way to climb and technique is everything!

Hope that helped
  • foxys_mum
    foxys_mum Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Spend some time on google and find your local mountain club. They probably have nights they meet at your local wall. Although I haven't climbed for a while still a member of reading mountain club. Never enjoyed bouldering but climbing itself great fun ,