Worth checking MFP details vs packaging

Options
New to me. Scanned a barcode for mixed dried fruit today and MFP recognised the product, but gave me 235cals for just 20grams.

For a minute, I almost believed MFP. Checking the package, 30grams was 90cals - phew!

Replies

• msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I check everything. Australian serving sizes and calories in certain foods are different - different food laws etc and some foods you have in one country have a different formula in another, depending on what is banned.

Hence why you see a few duplicates of items in MFP with (Aus) next to it.
  • SeaJenni
    SeaJenni Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I almost posted the same thing. I am somewhat new here and just caught on that my diary is filled with mistakes.

BUMP as a PSA for the newbies
  • MrsPixelbark
    MrsPixelbark Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    It's also worth double checking MFP has the right barcode - I tried scanning in a gammon steak the other day and it came up as butter for some bizarre reason! I know it seems silly to not realise, but I tend to scan in quite a few items at once, so if it hadn't been for the ridicilious calorie count (40 calories for a steak- I wish) I might not have noticed it.

Just remember, if you find a 'dud' entry make sure you change it on the database to the correct information.
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Australian serving sizes ... are different

You raise a good point.
    Serving size is bogus in all countries. I ignore it.
    I control my serving sizes, not marketing departments.

I've seen nonsense like individual yogurt with a "serving size" of one third of a pot.
    All that matters is composition 'per 100 g'.

If the composition of the food varies, that's a different matter.
    I wish this website made logging easier by changing from:
    'number of servings'
    to
    'number of grams/ounces'.
  • Arrabindi
    Arrabindi Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Australian serving sizes ... are different

You raise a good point.
    Serving size is bogus in all countries. I ignore it.
    I control my serving sizes, not marketing departments.

I've seen nonsense like individual yogurt with a "serving size" of one third of a pot.
    All that matters is composition 'per 100 g'.

If the composition of the food varies, that's a different matter.
    I wish this website made logging easier by changing from:
    'number of servings'
    to
    'number of grams/ounces'.

Thank you!!!! I'm so sick of hearing everybody go on and on about "serving sizes" and how difficult it makes it to eat homemade food. Earlier this week there was an extremely long thread about ridiculous serving sizes (like your example of 1/3 individual yoghurt) but not one person questioned the basic concept.