Low Carb vs. Moderate Carb

Options
123457»

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I tried low-carb, just couldn't do it. I see carbs as extremely important to my body while lifting so I don't want to get rid of them anymore. I just try to eat them in moderation, which is still like 150 a day.

Yup. I'm at around 150/day also. My protein and carbs hover around the same level. Pretty low in fats (around 25g/day) also. Working for me this far.
    Thats the beauty of it for me, I can eat high fats and still lose weight, and for someone like myself who loves his cheese/bacon this is a big deal

different strokes for different folks aint it!

I eat high fat (too high probably) and moderate carbs and still lost weight. It really is all about calories in/out.
  • stephgreene
    Options
    I kind of stopped eating "white" processed carbs to get back to eating "real" food, as per my nutritionist's instructions. So, on average around 112g of carbs a day... not exactly high carb, but not exactly low carb either. My carbs are generally coming from fruits (1-2 a day), veggies (unlimited red pepper and carrots), whole wheat pasta (about once a week), trail mix (if I'm dying in between classes and absolutely need a snack)... you get the idea.

Cut out processed crap and you will probably feel a lot better. I'm doing my best to have as much natural food as i can, but I'll be the first to tell you it's challenging, especially since I'm at Rutgers at least 4 days a week and I'm at a movie theater at least 4 days a week.
  • Rodhands
    Options
    I tried low-carb, just couldn't do it. I see carbs as extremely important to my body while lifting so I don't want to get rid of them anymore. I just try to eat them in moderation, which is still like 150 a day.

Yup. I'm at around 150/day also. My protein and carbs hover around the same level. Pretty low in fats (around 25g/day) also. Working for me this far.
    Thats the beauty of it for me, I can eat high fats and still lose weight, and for someone like myself who loves his cheese/bacon this is a big deal

different strokes for different folks aint it!

I eat high fat (too high probably) and moderate carbs and still lost weight. It really is all about calories in/out.

Definition of high? my macros are 5%/30%/65% <- Carbs/Protein/Fat
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I really can't understand how or why people find it necessary to Quote 6 inches of text along with their 1 line comment.

This thread has become 70% quote.
  • bcattoes
    Options

I have my fat set at 25% but I double that many days. I still maintain my weight and my blood work is fine (just had it checked), so I try to not worry about it. But I still think I probably should cut it.
  • Rodhands
    Options

I have my fat set at 25% but I double that many days. I still maintain my weight and my blood work is fine (just had it checked), so I try to not worry about it. But I still think I probably should cut it.

Fats only become a problem when you either go massively in excess (and hence go over your calorie limit) or you combine them with high carbs aswell (something like 45%/45%/10% Carbs/Fats/Protein)
  • bcattoes
    Options

Fats only become a problem when you either go massively in excess (and hence go over your calorie limit) or you combine them with high carbs aswell (something like 45%/45%/10% Carbs/Fats/Protein)

What do you mean by "become a problem"?
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I do moderate carb high protein moderate fat because I'm just toning up. Doing this for about one week now has helped break me out of a plateau :)
  • katieuk
    katieuk Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Hi

I have done the whole paleo e.g. getting my carbs from vegetables and other sources. I cut out rice, bread, cereal etc. basically all grains except sweet potatoes eliminated!!

I also eliminated all sugars except natural ones e.g. fruit.

I did this for about 6 months and yes I did notice a slight change but to be honest it wasn't such a good change that it was worth depriving myself of the foods I do actually enjoy.

For instance, it is winter here in the UK and I love nothing more than porridge in the morning, and for lunch a bowl of soup with a couple of slices of bread.

The only thing I do is make sure that I have wholemeal rice, wholemeal bread, wholewheat pasta etc.

I don't overload on potatoes and try to only eat red e.g 100g or 150g per meal (and usually with my dinner).

However, I just don't want to eliminate foods anymore not entirely, I might have certain things in moderation but to eliminate fully just makes me want them more. Plus I am quite a savoury person and I enjoy a jacket potato, some pasta, a bit of cheese etc. I could not live the rest of my life not having those foods!!

It is always going to be each to their own but this is what works for me, I find that having a bit of everything makes me happier and less stressed (and as we all know stress does inhibity fat loss) plus I am remaining trim!!
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I think there are MANY different levels. I did Adkins back in the day and it was a huge failure, so I was like many of these posters and said low carb is doody, it doesn't work, it's not sustainable....blah, blah, blah.

A few years ago, I found the gym, LOL, and started eating much better...counted calories/portion control etc. Lost almost 40lbs. I then became a fitness instructor and plateaued/gained for 2 1/2 years. No amount of working out/watching what I ate/eating more/less could change my weight. I LOVED my carbs and scoffed at anyone saying to cut back. Cut to...a couple months ago....where for one months I cut dairy/complex carbs/fruits out of my diet...and for the first time I actually lost the weight that had been plaguing me for almost 3 years. Looking back at my diet there were hidden sugars and carbs all OVER the place and my body was using them for fuel..not my fat. That is obviously a short term "diet" and I've added back in some dairy and here and there have a meal with biscuits etc....but hovering around 100g with the occasional "off" day has really changed my life and helped me FINALLY get to where I'd like to be. I don't consider it low carb as much as trying to keep sugar and complex carbs down.
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    ive done low carb... can tell u its not the road you want to go down. eat your carbohydrates. count your calories.
    Amen to that......
    I personally just try to watch the types of carbs I eat. I try to minimize white breads, pasta, etc. The only macronutrient I really pay attention to is protein.....
  • RubyRed8067
    Options
    I'm cutting out a lot of sugar and carbs. I'm not going overboard, but I eat WAY too many carbs. Hopefully, I'll get off this plateau
  • I'm glad I found this topic. I'm pretty surprised people consider "50 carbs a day" moderate carb. I would think anything from 70-150 is mod carb and anything and from 40-69 low carb and from 10-39 very low carb. By this definition, I eat a moderate carbohydrate diet (80-120 carbs on a typical day).

I'm a type 1 diabetic, so most would assume going very low/low carb is appropriate for me. However, this isn't the case. I was on a moderate carb diet last summer (eating 90-120 carbs a day) like I do now, and my weight dropped, my panels and A1C was great. My nurse was happy with my results. I have been reading on what a lot of people say about eliminating grains from their diet so I wondered if this was appropriate for me. I went even lower carb than that and my blood sugars would drop insanely low. Because I take insulin, blood sugars drop low either because 1. too much insulin or 2. too few carbs. When I eat a meal with moderate carbs but give too much insulin, my low blood sugar is gradual and the symptoms are often tolerable yet felt enough so I know I should go eat a glucose tablet or two. However, when I went low carb, I would feel very dizzy and sick, I would eat a lot to correct so that the sick, dizzy feeling would go away and so my blood sugars fluctuated between lows and highs. Also, when I went lower carb, I stopped tolerating moderate/high carb foods to the point whenever I ate them, my blood sugar would shoot higher than it did previously when I ate the same food. I can adjust my insulin rates, but the balance has been pretty tricky- having insulin delivery rates higher and lower than I have now would screw up my readings. So I have been eating grains like oats and quinoa with wheat bread on occasion, and I feel much better. A lot of it also depends on what time of the day the meal is, if I am working or at home, etc. If I am working, I eat oatmeal and a banana and it keeps me having the right amount of energy until lunch, if I'm at home, I'll eat an egg or some high protien/high fat item in the morning instead b/c I could tolerate it w/ the less amount of activity I will probably be doing during the day.Also, I tend to eat carbs at the beginning and end of the day b/c the carbs in the morning (oatmeal) helps correct the lethargy from overnight fast + blood sugar drop to get me going for the rest of the day. At night, I eat carbs (usually quinoa or on rarer occasions, wheat bread) to keep my blood sugars stable for the rest of the night.

At the end of the day, I eat a largely plant based diet with lots of vegetables, more vegetables than fruits, nuts, whole grains (oatmeal, quinoa and occasional wheat bread...might try brown rice soon), some poultry and fish, occasional yogurt, flax seeds, etc. I'm pretty happy with my diet and don't believe I need to go any lower carb to be healthier. I cannot emphasize enough that there is no one size fits all when it comes to eating healthy. Many of the guidelines you read, like WHOs or Harvard's, don't put an amount or restriction on many of the foods out there. They talk about LIMITING certain foods, but not cutting things out. They emphasize EATING MORE OF SOME FOODS, but doesn't emphasize making that your entire daily dietary intake. A friend of mine who is a public health major and I agreed that going gluten-free, paleo or vegan is NOT for everybody. Some people do great and some people don't. I have read about people switching in between diets and everybody will respond to food differently. The key thing is to increase your plant based intake (more veggies than fruits, but include both) unless of course you have some restrictions (oxalate build up, etc.). Then go from there-how to balance the protien, carbs and fats. The problem is, that the amount of grains people eat is in excess. Eating cereal + a sandwhich for lunch + something with grains like rice or w/e for dinner is very high carb/high grain and usually in a portion that is beyond a healthy standard. Eating with a good balance is key. Don't be chugging protein shakes. Eat protein from healthy sources like beans, fish, poultry and eggs (if you are not following a vegan diet), etc. Consume healthy fats like avocados, olive oil, almonds/unsalted cashews, coconuts and dark chocolate (w/ some limits as the latter two also have saturated fats-tho they are considered a healthier type of sat fat).

Being a diabetic and hearing ad nauseam about the "insulin spike" of certain foods is a bit tiresome because I know exactly how foods would affect me considering I control the amount of insulin I give to correct this. Not all carbohydrates create that spike. Whole grains have done really great things for my blood sugar, even some wheat products, tho I eat them in limits. Will it do that for everybody? Probably not. But the idea that grains are poison, which I have read on several online boards and forums, is unfair and untrue. Many studies are there to back up intake of healthy grains. But like I said, the value gets lost with overconsumption. I eat about a 33/33/33 or 30 protein/20 carb/ 40 fat, or 30 protein/40 carbs/20 fat (switching it up all the time), closest to a mediterranean type diet. Because I eat the way I do, I don't experience a drastic spike when I consume more carbs on a given day (lets say at a party or a night out). I believe taking all of this into account has been very important to me and maintaining my health. But what works for one won't work for all.
  • cin61cin
    cin61cin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I went low carb for 2 years. 60 - 80 grams per day. I lost about 32 kilos but also lost my mind. I was hyperactive, irritated and craving cigarettes and alcohol the entire time. I lost much muscle mass and ended up skinny, saggy and not in good shape. My fingernails were deformed, my skin poxy and blotchy, my gums receded dreadfully (despite me eating much veggies each day) and I was literally mad. I had an overwhelming sense of boredom, couldn't sit down or relax and barely slept for the entire 2 years. General over agitation of the mind and body. I was impatient and angry at everyone and suffered road rage, computer rage, people rage, you-name-it rage.:mad:
    I added back the equivalent of 3 moderate servings of carbohydrate foods per day and felt the difference immediately. I instantly calmed down and relaxed. I was actually droopy and dosey for the first week. Rationality set in and I realized that it was the diet causing my problems, not the world. I lost weight faster too. I gradually added another serving and did not regain any of my lost weight over the next 3 years. My deficiency problems cleared up in a matter of months along with my rage, my lust for all things boozy and my insomnia.
    I still eat my eggs for breakky but with a nice slice of buttered wholewheat toast. A salmon, chicken or cheese salad for lunch with another slice or 2 of wholewheat bread followed by a small serve of meat and a small serve of potato or brown rice and lots of veggies at dinner. I have the equivalent of 2 teaspoons of butter or olive oil per meal and do not lean to "low fat" phobia. I even have a splash of whole milk and a small dash (1/2 teaspoon) of sugar in my coffee and tea like real people did in the old days. :smile: Life is good now. "Balanced" may be the more appropriate word! It is now difficult for me to gain weight now. I spent 45 years fighting obesity and fearing entire food groups and that has now ended by balanced eating. I no longer "fear" food. I plan wonderful meals and have recently taken a job as a "function chef". :drinker:

A word of caution. I have since read of many people becoming mad or at the very least obsessive on low carb diets. I would recommend anyone consider these diets carefully before embarking. My friend fared very well on it but could only last a few months. Maybe that's the secret, short term success.

I hope this little story has helped you in your quest for better health and cautious decision making when your health is involved.
    Cheers and good health to you.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I thought I was low carb.. when I was eating around 120g or less each day.. Wasn't intentional, just where i seem to end up when I eat the way I want to eat. I love it. No craving no feelings of deprivation.

So is that high carb then??

I've got my macros at 40/40/20.. Not sure if that's actually a good split for me, but it seems to work.