Couch to 5k - any point?

Options
I'm just looking for opinions to if I should even bother trying to do ythis as my other half works a lot and gets home quite late and I have a baby to look after. So I'd only be able to do it for example -

Tonight
Next Friday, Saturday and Sunday
The following Wednesday night and Friday
The following Friday, Saturday and Sunday
The following Wednesday night and Friday....
You get the pattern :)

So do you think there's any point or would it be a waste of time and not following the plan of 3x a week or whatever it is?

I am really interested in trying it out too

Replies

• MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    You can certainly do it! Not everybody can do every other day. The weeks may take you longer to complete if you have to spread them out, but MANY people on here have done it! :)

I finished last May and never signed up for a 5K, so I fell out of running. But I did complete the program. It makes you feel great, and it REALLY helped me shave off my last 10 lbs before I reached my goal this summer!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,978 Member
    Options
    Absolutely do it! There isn't a C25K police force that will come and arrest you if you aren't perfect.:laugh: You would be wise to take a day off in between sessions though. It is set up that way so you won't injure yourself.

Just start! You'll love it.
  • alienrite
    alienrite Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    It's a great program. You need to put in consistent work but I don't think spreading it out does any think but increase the time to complete. At the very least, it's a great interval training program which will make you better, stronger and faster.
  • GrannySparkle
    GrannySparkle Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Who said you have to do it every day. We have several 5Ks around here that you can walk in. I plan on walking in a few. I try to walk every day but as winter is almost upon us, that isn't going to happen. At 50, I don't think I will be running any time soon...if ever. But that doesn't mean I am going to stop. Isn't the true goal to become a healthier you. So if you only run a couple days a week, isn't it better than sitting on the couch??
  • AnitaS71
    AnitaS71 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Definitely worth it. I think it will be a little harder with your schedule. That F, Sa, & Su will probably be a little rough, but you can do it. I would recommend adding some walks with the baby during the week if it's possible, just to keep you moving. Couch 2 5K is such a great program!
  • Amanda21202
    Amanda21202 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Great replies, thank you so much :) I'm going to do it!
    I love going for walks with the little one when I can, its just starting to get cold and dark so we don't go out as much now (she catches colds easily like me) I work out at home, I just want to try and pick this up for a little bit of me time :)!

Now here's my other pickle - do I start asap and guess what I burn or wait until January when I get my HRM....? Hmmm
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Start asap! I calculated the number of minutes I walked (which I logged as walking 3.5mph uphill, since I was walking up and down hills in my neighborhood) and the number of minutes I jogged (which I logged as Jogging at 5mph, even though I KNOW I was going maybe 4.5mph MAX). When I finally got my HRM, towards the end of the program, I realized that I was burning even more than I thought. Jogging really gets my heart rate up super high, so it was a great calorie burner for me!
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    There are probably C25k groups on here.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    There are probably C25k groups on here.

Good luck!!!

Could you also do some weight training at home?
  • smoothgrl
    smoothgrl Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Definately do it! I just finshed up week one and I feel AMAZING!!! It's definatley worth it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,978 Member
    Options
    Start now. No time like the present. HRMs are tools, but they don't make you lose weight, or become more fit. They just guess at some numbers for you. I have one, but I never use it. I managed to complete C25K without using it, & still lost weight.

I found that I used every excuse in the book to keep from exercising, or to stop me from going, when really all I needed was to put one foot in front of the other. No iPods, stopwatches, or HRMs will do that for me.
  • Colstriper
    Colstriper Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Do it. Running is the best weight loss and health builder I have come across yet. I ran my first 5K yesterday and had a blast. I haven't stopped smiling since!
  • kmorganlfc
    kmorganlfc Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    At the moment, there isn't a C25K police force that will come and arrest you if you aren't perfect.

Corrected :tongue: