I'm a new runner and need some tips! :D

Options
2»

Replies

• Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the help guys! I'm so thankful that the MFP community is so helpful!

I admit that I pretty much just opened the door and ran and did not do a proper warm up/cool down and I've also been running in an old pair of tennis shoes. I'll be sure to get a proper fitting next week!

However, just the other day I placed an order for a pair of Nike Free Runs (I've ran in these shoes before and now that I think about it, I didn't get much pain from shin splints in them...unfortunately, I had to return them because I got a size too small). I know that it may take a little bit of time to get used to the minimal arch support, but what are your thoughts on these shoes?

I personally didn't like the Nike Frees (got to try them out at a running group a few months ago) because I like more support. I agree with the above advice-if you haven't been fitted at a running store, do that (and bring whatever shoes you're running in, the old ones, Nike Frees, whatever, so they can look at the wear pattern on the shoes).

Dynamic stretches before running--leg swings, jumping jacks, easy squats and static stretches (stretch and hold) after running.
    I wouldn't recommend running every day as a beginner-run every other day and do run/walk intervals as necessary.

Ice your shins after a run. You can Google "shin splint exercises" for some good videos on post-run stretches that should help your shins.

Good luck and happy running!
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Too much too fast. You need a rest day after running. Only run 3-4 days a week and give your muscles a chance to heal.
  • pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Don't do it!

It's super addictive ;)

lmao i sooooo agree but DO it haha
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Look up how to run properly on You Tube. You'll be surprised that you probably totally run wrong. Running properly takes time and a lot of thought, and feels funny. But, once you get it, it works better, you get less injuries, and you'll feel better on your runs. Land flat on your feet or a little forward toward the balls of your feet, and push off. Never hit on your heels. Make sure your feet hit the ground directly below your body, not in front or behind. You might do a heel-toe move, and you will want to get out of the bad habit before you even start.

Some people will tell you to run on the balls of your feet. I don't see how that's possible, but when I watch others, it looks like they probably do that. My calves can't take that. But, landing flat footed works well for me.

Signed,
    A recovering heel-toe runner.
  • joannezuk
    joannezuk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Look up how to run properly on You Tube. You'll be surprised that you probably totally run wrong. Running properly takes time and a lot of thought, and feels funny. But, once you get it, it works better, you get less injuries, and you'll feel better on your runs. Land flat on your feet or a little forward toward the balls of your feet, and push off. Never hit on your heels. Make sure your feet hit the ground directly below your body, not in front or behind. You might do a heel-toe move, and you will want to get out of the bad habit before you even start.

Some people will tell you to run on the balls of your feet. I don't see how that's possible, but when I watch others, it looks like they probably do that. My calves can't take that. But, landing flat footed works well for me.

Signed,
    A recovering heel-toe runner.

THIS!

I used to heel strike too, thinking it was easier on my body. Totally wrong. And I paid for it with shin splints. If you insist on running with a heel strike (which puts something like 10x the impact on your knees and hips as a midfoot strike), then at least try to land with your feet somewhat flat. It's the lifting of your toes that engages the anterior tibialis (the muscle on the front of your shin that hurts like an SOB), and makes it angry. The problem is that the AT is a small muscle that fits very carefully into a compartment on the front of your shin bone. You may hear the term "compartment syndrome"...this is the same thing as shin splints. When you use this muscle as your primary running muscle, it gets inflamed and painful. When it's really bad, it starts to tear away from the compartment.

Instead, runners should be running using their larger (and unconstricted) calf muscles as their primary lower leg muscles. Try now, while you're still a new runner, to change your form. Aim to land in the middle of your foot (ie. on the ball of your foot). When I was first learning this technique, I kept thinking about "prancing". It will feel funny at first, and please don't rush into speedy sessions with a new technique. But over time, you'll find that this position gives you more power from your legs (you'll be able to spring forward, using the strength in your calves, hams, and glutes) rather than just shuffling along on your heels.

In the meantime, elevate and ice your shins for 10 minutes at a time as many times a day as you can remember. Take advil to reduce the inflammation. And massage them by rolling a tennis ball in the painful spots. The massage will flush the inflammation, so be sure to always ice after you massage so that fresh blood comes to heal your injury.

And while you're on the couch icing your legs, visit the Runners World website. They have awesome articles and running plans. And if you're new into running, it will surely inspire you!

Good luck!
  • Mr_Stephenson
    Mr_Stephenson Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I hate to say this but there the make and model of shoe make no difference if it is not the right shoe for the runner.

Do you know if you are neutral, underpronate, overpronate or require a shoe focused more on cushioning than stability (or vice versa)... buying the wrong shoe will only lead to long term injuries and the only way to get a good one is get a gait analysis from a reputable running shop.

Most will not charge for this service if you are buying the shoes from them, the best offer it as a standard part of the fitting process as your needs can change over time.

The right shoe for me could crucify you, good luck and keep running :)
  • meghannrenee
    meghannrenee Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I used to get really really bad shin splints... we're talking couldn't walk shin splints. While it isn't for everyone, I switched over to minimalist running and haven't had an problems since. It's a learning curve - we're talking 1/2 mile at most after you go through the whole strengthening your feet and lower legs business - but was totally worth it for me.

If that's not your thing, definitely get some good running shoes, and pay attention to your form. It will take your body time to adjust, +1 to the person who said give it a day in between at first so your body has a chance to heal.

Oh, and shorten your stride. Beginners tend to overstride, and overstriding combined with sharp heel striking do a number on your shins. If you have the option to run on dirt instead of concrete or asphalt take it - it's a little easier on your body