planet fitness

Options
thinking of joining planet fitness and thought i would check here for any comments about it

Replies

• MrMan1973
    Options
    Planet Fitness is a pretty good gym but they dont have as much to offer as OneLife Fitness. On the flip-side, OneLife does charge an initial start up fee but it is well worth it! The OneLife in Chesapeake off of Portsmouth Blvd is probably the best one of them all. My advice before you join either is to not only walk around each gym (they will offer that to you) but work out and ask plenty of questions to staff. Bottom line, each member of both gyms will say their gym is the best.......but whats best for YOU is whats important. If you dont have any interest in the classes ( zumba, spinning, yogo etc) or swimming pools volleyball courts and any other luxury it makes no sense to join the gym that offers that! Sorry so long but hope it helps!
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Agreed! Never, ever, ever join a gym without doing at least a one or two week trial (or as long as they will let you!). If they dont offer that, run away. Unless you can get a month-to-month membership with no contract, you want to be VERY sure you have the right one for you before you sign!
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    if you have a YMCA near you I would definitely recommend that over most gyms
  • bulldogmom99
    Options
    I currently go to Planet Fitness and I love the stuff they have and the Fitness Trainer at my location checks on you all the time to see how things are going please feel free to add me and we can encourage each other anytime
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    It's cheap, you get what you pay for. It's almost entirely cardio and some machines. If you're looking for decent strength training, find someplace different. If you want to jump on a treadmill for the cheapest price possible, go to planet fitness.
  • topshopperwantabe
    topshopperwantabe Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I just joined Planet Fitness 2 months ago it is brand new, equipment is excellent and plenty of it. At $10 a month with no contract it was the deal. No frills, and not a lot of help from the staff but I go everyday M-W-F-Sn I do cardio (normally I would ride my bike 30 minutes at home on a trail or around the community, but now that it is dark when I get home from work, I spin at the gym) T-T-Sa I do circuit training, I lift as heavy as I can. In 2 monrhs time I see a big difference. I just started taking measurements (wish I did back in Jan when I started MFP) Check all of them out and find the best fit for you, this works for me now.
  • MrMan1973
    Options
    It's cheap, you get what you pay for. It's almost entirely cardio and some machines. If you're looking for decent strength training, find someplace different. If you want to jump on a treadmill for the cheapest price possible, go to planet fitness.

Couldnt agree more!
  • MrMan1973
    Options
    @ TOPSHOPPERWAN

Keep up the good work!!!!!
  • lovelyrose11
    lovelyrose11 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I love PF. The only downside is that they don't offer classes. But they have all the equipment and you can't beat the price.
  • If you are on a budget I think its worth it.
  • fitnessgal1318
    Options
    I love the Planet Fitness in my area. It is definitely a no-frills kind of place but that is fine with me. Plenty of cardio and nautilus machines. Also several cable and smith machine stations. I spend alot of time in the free weights section which has dumbbells up to 75 pounds. I'll never use heavier than that so it works for me. Definitely affordable....very clean...great atmosphere. I've been very happy there! Good luck!!
  • SpinShot
    Options
    I live in the UK and we don't have Planet Fitness. If you try it and like it, that's great but I have read about some of their questionable business practices:

The "Lunk Alarm"- Goes off to publicly shame anyone dropping their weights or grunting. (You know, we don't want people actually working out hard!)

Serving pizza and tootsie rolls to members. (Hey, if you're not losing weight, you'll keep paying to come to the gym)

Definitely read up a bit on the internet about them and have a a trial before making any commitments.
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Its a fine no frills place. I just have a huge problem with the free candy, bagels, and pizza(???). I think they are preying on people with food issues and put cravings in their faces. I got over the lunk alarm thing and the fake "No Judgment" proclamation when they obviously judge people. I think it's stupid and ignorant.