How important is a bench?

Options
I want to buy some free weights and wonder how important a good bench is for a home set up? I don't have a lot of space or $$ for this. Just curious on y'all's opinions. Thanks in advance,Rachel

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    You can do floor press instead.
  • Kimber415
    Kimber415 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    i just started lifting and have a bench and free weights. I've developed my own routine of the moves I like doing and then repeat 3 times. Takes about 40 minutes. I just started so will revise as need be. I find I do more without the bench. The only things I do with the bench are barbell bench presses and some leg lifts and dumbell presses. Most of which can be done without the bench. I don't have much room either but my set was free, it's old and my nephew didn't use it anymore. I wanted to make sure I liked it before investing money in a new set. I find some of the exercises I do are quite effective for my legs and all of them are great for my arms. Need to find a couple good one's for my abs though, don't feel like my workout works my abs enough. Anyway, point being, I'd say if space is a concern, that you can get just as much value without them and from what I read the free weights are much better then any machines anyway. I'm still reading the New Rules for Women and will adapt some of those exercises into my routine as well. Good luck....I sure hope I see results, regardless, I love it.
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Thanks folks! I was glad to read your comments as it would take up valuable real estate for certain.

What's good, set of 10, 12 and 15 lbs dumbells?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I would rather have a squat rack, if given the choice. Of my main exercises, I only use the bench for bench presses. If you're new, you might be able to do pushups for a while before you get a bench to target the same groups. Eventually you'll need one though.
  • Michellereducf
    Michellereducf Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Not a big deal at all.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    pretty important if you want to sti down, LMAO. Sorry I JUST had to!
  • rachmass1
    Options
    I haven't done much in the way of squats other than with battle ropes. I have a functional trainer but the weights are for work and there is little space in my office. That's why I was thinking of dumbells a da bench if necessary.
  • rachmass1
    Options
    pretty important if you want to sti down, LMAO. Sorry I JUST had to!

Hahaha :)
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I would rather have a squat rack, if given the choice. Of my main exercises, I only use the bench for bench presses. If you're new, you might be able to do pushups for a while before you get a bench to target the same groups. Eventually you'll need one though.

Agree, I'd definitely get your hands on a squat rack if you can :) Anything is better than nothing, though! When I started I was in my bedroom with nothing but an adjustable dumbbell set. I made use of the floor and used my bed as a bench when necessary. I had good results!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    If you decide to buy one, I've been very pleased with this incredibly low-priced one I bought 10ish years ago: http://www.newyorkbarbells.tv/5900.html $150

(I also love the power rack I bought from them too: http://www.newyorkbarbells.tv/92563.html $330 (Just the rack, not the lat attachment.))

No affiliation with the company except a satisfied customer (even though I haven't bought anything else from them in the past 10+ years).
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options

I've considered building my own squat rack. I have access to a welder and someone who knows how to use it. There are also plans in the internet for wooden squat racks.

To the OP. I would look on craigslist. A bench sounds like one of those things people like to get rid of.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why you would lead her to a squat rack when she doesn't have room/money for a much smaller, less expensive equipment.
  • wmagoo27
    wmagoo27 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I haven't done much in the way of squats other than with battle ropes. I have a functional trainer but the weights are for work and there is little space in my office. That's why I was thinking of dumbells a da bench if necessary.

Just for an office you should be able to get away with floor presses. You won't really NEED a bench, however, if you decide to get one and space is an issue, there are benches that fold up out of the way. Try it with your dumbells without the bench first, and you can always shop around and add one later if you decide the floor isn't for you.
  • rachmass1
    Options

Just for an office you should be able to get away with floor presses. You won't really NEED a bench, however, if you decide to get one and space is an issue, there are benches that fold up out of the way. Try it with your dumbells without the bench first, and you can always shop around and add one later if you decide the floor isn't for you.

Sensible advice
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    With a bench you can do bench presses, shoulder presses, flyes, and some ab work. You could use a piece of furniture, like a strong coffee table, or hope chest for the bench presses, or you could do pushups, or get some bands, and work your chest with those. Shoulder presses can be done standing, and will work your core better, if you are standing, anyway.

I used to have a bench that I got from Target, that was a decline, adjustable bench, and was only good for dumbbell work. ( I believe I bought it for around $20, about 5 years ago.)It took up very little room, and was great for sit ups, and ab work. If you are working with that light of dumbbells, I would probably recommend an exercise ball, instead. You can do the same workouts with an exercise ball, with more core involvement, and it would take less space than any bench would.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Many things you would do on a bench can also be done on the floor. In some cases it can actually help you practice good form by not letting your elbows drop below the plane of your shoulders. You could always get a used step (think step class) inexpensively and use that as a bench. We use those in BodyPump.
  • rachmass1
    Options
    Thanks folks!

Next question; what weight ranges? I was thinking three different weights. I am self-rehabbing a torn rotator cuff too.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Thanks folks!

Next question; what weight ranges? I was thinking three different weights. I am self-rehabbing a torn rotator cuff too.

I started out with an adjustable dumbbell set from walmart that was $50. They were functional and I still use them now for light work, but they only went up to 15lbs a dumbbell, which wasn't nearly enough after like the first two weeks of lifting, haha. If you are aiming for real strength gains, you need to have some heavy options available. I'd recommend a barbell but if you're sticking with dumbbells I'd suggest an adjustable set that go up pretty heavy (maybe up to like 50lbs to start). Might be a bit of an investment but will to totally be worth it. I love the adjustable ones because you don't have to keep switching between dumbbells for different exercises, and you have access to all the in-between weights you might need, too.
  • rachmass1
    Options
    Thanks Lauren, I had seen those and thought they were a good idea but look awkward. Which do you find more ergonomic, the single weights or adjustable? Right now I just have a ten pound set of fixed dumbells. I can see them getting too light in a month or so, except the exercises I do for my bad rotator (10 is pushing it on that injury). Barbells look great except for my space issue in the office. Want to simply take weight breaks during the day as that tends to work well for my schedule,

Thanks again everyone. Think I will start with a couple different weights and add a bench if budget and space allow.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

This statement seems to imply that of the main exercises, you use the squat rack for more than just squats.

THAT IS NOT ALLOWED