High Calorie Foods?

Options
Many days I'm struggling to get to 1200 calories because I'm not hungry and I'm trying to not eat refined sugar or a ton of carbs (I'm not low carb by any stretch, though). I always have an ounce of nuts to help bump me up. But here I am, not hungry, knowing I need more calories, already had my almonds, and am at a loss! I'm not a huge fan of avocados. Any other healthy, high calorie options that you guys can suggest?

Replies

• eyeliner128
    eyeliner128 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Smoothies, granola cereal/bars, maybe add some peanut butter to a granola bar? Those would all add up to at least a few hundred calories.
  • maryhm1
    maryhm1 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Trying to keep the refined sugars out of the equation...I did do some peanut butter today, though!
  • iqnas
    iqnas Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Eggs and coconut
  • maryhm1
    Options
    Egg yolks cooked any way gross me out. But I do have some coconut milk (unsweetened) that I haven't even touched since I bought it. Thanks for the reminder! :)
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter on a spoon.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Full fat salad dressing made with olive oil.

Butter, cheese and other full-fat dairy.

Larger portions of meat.

I'm curious though... your ticker is showing that you want to GAIN a couple pounds, not lose. If that's the case, why 1200 calories? We're the same age. I'm 5'9" and 134 pounds. I eat about 2400+/- calories a day to maintain that weight.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    chop an avocado into your salad
  • maryhm1
    Options
    My ticker is messed up. The LAST thing I want to do is gain! lol
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Many days I'm struggling to get to 1200 calories because I'm not hungry and I'm trying to not eat refined sugar or a ton of carbs (I'm not low carb by any stretch, though). I always have an ounce of nuts to help bump me up. But here I am, not hungry, knowing I need more calories, already had my almonds, and am at a loss! I'm not a huge fan of avocados. Any other healthy, high calorie options that you guys can suggest?

Since you're from Texas, can't you get some good fatty beef or brisket? Even if you stay away from traditional bbq due to the sugar in the sauce, a well marbled steak or other fatty cut of meat should add some good calories to your diet
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Avocado...every weekday as part of my salad (drizzled with olive oil). I also blend butter and MCT oil into my morning coffee every day.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    A lot of the time I see this post people are eating "diet food" ie low cal/low fat versions of food.

You use skim milk, you could gain extra calories from upping to even 2% (I know I can't go whole milk)
    Same with yogurt, sour cream, etc. I also noticed you used a low fat cheese same thing.
    You are using lean meats, like the extra lean turkey. You could opt for the fattier option (if you can I know here the only ground turkey is extra lean). You can choose dark meat or a mix if you dot want to go all dark meat. Someone already mentioned the same for beef.
    Instead of tuna you can try salmon.

You can top your sweet potato with butter. I have a friend who eats peanut butter on them.

Olive oil, coconut oil, etc can be used for cooking or on dressings to add calories.
  • HeatherLaShae4
    HeatherLaShae4 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    plain greek yogurt! you can add in your nuts and peanutbutter ora nything u want! or some cottage cheese... i like cutting up boiled eggs, adding a 1/2 cup cottage cheese, a tbsp sweet relish, and a tbsp of mustard, and you got egg salad!!! :)
  • maryhm1
    Options
    You guys have some awesome suggestions! Thanks!

As for the plain greek yogurt, I LOVE the flavored kinds, but have eliminated them because of all of the sugar. I'm a little scared of "plain" yogurt, but I guess I could flavor it....how do you like the taste?
  • bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Meat. Not sure why so many people suggested fatty foods though. I saw that you want to increase you calories and lose weight.

So, protein drinks, chicken and turkey breast, lean ham, lean steak, etc.
  • acolouthic
    Options
    Adding fresh, chopped-up fruit to plain Greek yogurt makes it great. (Without the refined sugars!)
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Meat. Not sure why so many people suggested fatty foods though. I saw that you want to increase you calories and lose weight.

Because fat is good for you. Our bodies need it. And there are more calories in it so when one is looking to up calories, it's easier to eat a little more fat (and in the case of meat there is protein along with it) than to add a substantial amount of lower calories food.

Dietary fat =/= body fat. It's still a matter of calories.

Eta - and all of the foods suggested have nutritional value, not just empty fat calories.
  • willwillywilson
    Options
    Cottage cheese is a good one. Lots of protein (14g in a 1/2 cup serving) and a decent amount of calories if you get the 4% fat version (120 a 1/2 cup serving).
  • bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options

Because fat is good for you. Our bodies need it. And there are more calories in it so when one is looking to up calories, it's easier to eat a little more fat (and in the case of meat there is protein along with it) than to add a substantial amount of lower calories food.

Dietary fat =/= body fat. It's still a matter of calories.

Eta - and all of the foods suggested have nutritional value, not just empty fat calories.

Yeah, but there are plenty of fats in "lean" meat.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    But she is eating lean meats and not meeting her calorie goal.
    She can eat more, but I am assuming based on the fact she is having trouble reaching her goal, eating more food isn't an easy option. Adding calorie dense foods can add more calories without adding a ton of food. Avocados are healthy fats, as is the fat in salmon, olive oil, coconut oil, etc. Drinking fuller fat milk gives her more calories while consuming the same amount of food.
    eTA - especially since she is eating lower carbs (not low carb I understand) so adding calories with carbs is not an option.
  • delikium
    delikium Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    humus as a dip
    scrambled eggs
    olives
    tortilla
    sweet potatoe