Walking is my exercise...but winter is near

13»

Replies

• Depending on how much space you have in your home...you could do walking right in your home...while I have a treadmill and I love walking outside, in the heat or the cold, I can do very short laps in my house and accomplish the same thing.

Walking is walking regardless of where you do it.
  • samb330
    samb330 Posts: 328 Member
    Leslie Sansone, Leslie Sansone, lol you will probably get tired of hearing that name. From beginners to advance, from 1 mile to 5 miles your choice, your gonna love her!

Cheers:drinker:

Ditto ditto ditto...

yep ^^this^^
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    If you live in a 2 story house or a building with an indoor stairwell there's always walking the stairs... other than that... if you layer correctly there's no reason Winter should stop you from enjoying a brisk walk daily LOL. (pun intended)
  • mrso97
    mrso97 Posts: 147 Member
    i walk the dogs all winter..i will run outside til it snows..then i have to see if its icy or not..i have these things that go on my sneakers or boots called "snowtires"..they slide on and have little spikes on them...then just layer your clothes to keep warm....
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    I am blessed to have 2 malls nearby that welcome winter walkers. They even post how many laps around the mall equal a mile :)
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    I just bundle up and keep on trucking! Once you get warmed up, I often end up removing a layer or two. I will amdit I live in SC, so certainly how cold it gets will affect this. I would not likely do so if I lived in Monnesota or somewhere that gets crazy snow LOL
  • Warmer gear. Speed up your walking pace and you will warm up.
  • Chris, I live in Edmonton Alberta Canada - where we get major cold! Dress right - layers - and don't forget mitts, scarf and hat. Alternately, many fitness clubs have indoor tracks, and malls (before the stores open) can also be a good choice. Don't let the weather de-rail your progress!

Same here!

Also, adding cayenne pepper in your socks helps to keep your feet warm. I kid you not!
  • MMark2012
    MMark2012 Posts: 142 Member
    Everyone is talking about buying dvd's and such, but Workouts are free on Youtube! Once a workout that you like has loaded, then copy the url, open another tab to access your hotmail, paste the url in an e-mail, then address the e-mail to yourself!
    I did all that, and created a folder in my hotmail labeled "Exercises from Youtube". As you find routines on youtube that you like, keep copying and pasting, and sending them to yourself!
    Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred is there. Bikini Blaster Wrokouts 1-7 are there. Denise Austin Yoga, as well as hundreds of others.
    Check it out!:smile:
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    I walk all the time to summer or winter I just bundle up to stay warm. Living in Quebec it has snow for about 5 months of the year.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    My exercise is my new found love for walking. I really enjoy it. BUT winter is near. Tomorrow will be to cold to walk. So my plan is to take the Radar bus (so I don't have to walk to the bus stop in the cold) and go to the mall to walk. To use the Radar bus I had to go through an approval process that included a statement from my doc, which was no problem as I have a long list of ailments. But the idea of taking the bus to the mall every day just blows my mind. I have to look at what tomorrow's weather will be, and schedule a pick today for tomorrow. I pray the forecast is correct.

If your only exercise is walking, and live where it gets cold in the winter, what is your solution to walking in the cold? Of course I could only wish I had a treadmill. Not within my budget anytime soon.

I run outside and have for a long time and have braved the elements. It does get cold and it snows here, but it's mild compared to other places, we might get to freezing or just below freezing here during winter. I just bundle up and go, and as I get warmed up and keep moving I end up having to take off layers. I am usually only cold starting out, and I find it invigorating once I get warmed up. But in my older age (LOL) I find that a few times I don't want to deal with the elements and I drive to the gym, but I also drive there to lift weights. If we get snowed in I'll do some limited weight lifting and cardio in the basement. I have an inexpensive rowing machine and a mini trampoline called a "rebounder". Sometimes I jump rope in the basement. Jump ropes are cheap. Sometimes I jog up and down the stairs, crank up my mp3 player and just do it... it's boring but so is any cardio machine. Music is the only thing that makes it bearable for me, and it does feel good once you get warmed up.

Have fun what every you decide, there is always something you can do if you really want to.
  • Agreed. Her laugh is annoying, though :smile: Currently, I'm on her Ultimate 5 Day Walk
    Leslie Sansone has a really good walking at home dvd program and they are pretty cheap. I think they are called Walk Away the Pounds and better yet she does not have a grating voice or a drill sargent personality. Check her out.
  • polishmehappy
    polishmehappy Posts: 92 Member
    My exercise is my new found love for walking. I really enjoy it. BUT winter is near. Tomorrow will be to cold to walk. So my plan is to take the Radar bus (so I don't have to walk to the bus stop in the cold) and go to the mall to walk. To use the Radar bus I had to go through an approval process that included a statement from my doc, which was no problem as I have a long list of ailments. But the idea of taking the bus to the mall every day just blows my mind. I have to look at what tomorrow's weather will be, and schedule a pick today for tomorrow. I pray the forecast is correct.

If your only exercise is walking, and live where it gets cold in the winter, what is your solution to walking in the cold? Of course I could only wish I had a treadmill. Not within my budget anytime soon.

I hear you about the cold sister! folks who are limited on the type of exercise they can safely do without causing more injury to their bodies really struggle during cold months when walking is the safest they can do.
    I love to walk too and like you I can't afford a treadmill. I do strenght exercises in my living room but other than that I can't pound on my joints for health reasons. I use the gym (a small, unkempt room with 3 machines, often littered with trash and a clogged toilet) at the apartment complex where I live. It is not pleasant in there and the heater is never on.
    What keeps me going is that I really don't have too many options, so I plug my ears with a good audiobook, pack my bag with toilete paper and bleach wipes, and head for my "gym" anyway.
    You might enjoy the bus ride to the Mall :) dress warmly and drink your daily protein made of determination :) Good luck to you and keep on plowing, and don't stop!

PS: audible.com has saved my day many times. It is fun to "read" a book while going for my sad landscape of a walk!
  • SH1969
    SH1969 Posts: 13
    Me, I pace up and down my living room while watching tv, or listening to music. It's only 10 steps across, but it's enough.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Layer it up and get outside. There's always an excuse to not do something, so you might as well not let something as simple as the weather get in your way. If you must stay in doors, there are lots of awesome workout suggestions online that you can do in the comfort and warmth of your home.

I stumbled across this chick not too long ago and she has a lot of great workout routines you can brows through. You might have to make a small investment in some of the equipment, but I'd wager it's still cheaper than a couple month's membership at a gym.

http://www.myomytv.com/
  • As others have stated..Leslie Sansone....Free on Youtube.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    I see we are about the same age. Indeed, it's not just the cold, but the icy sidewalks that can be problematic for us. I'm a fairweather walker, too. Our local rec center has an indoor track. I pay $3 every time to use it as long as I like. There are also water aerobics classes for people in our age bracket there, too.

If money is a problem, then the mall is a good idea (unless you see something you want to buy! :laugh: ). In fact, our local mall has a "senior's hour" each morning before the stores officially open. There are probably about 50 people that show up every day!

Again, if money is an issue, go on YouTube and look for low-impact aerobics or yoga videos. I have knee issues so I like the "workout in a chair" vids I can do right in my computer chair.

Feel free to add me if you like. :flowerforyou:
  • rovernio
    rovernio Posts: 157
    you should walk alot in the winter because cold helps burn extra calories
  • Maybaby100
    Maybaby100 Posts: 84 Member
    Sometimes I see people practically giving away old treadmills and bikes on Craigslist. Try checking there or if a local high school or community center has a track that might be a good option. Walking in the house seems ok, but I know I say I will then I don't. Maybe take 2 short 15-30min walks bundled up during the warmest part of the day a bad stay close so if you have to you can go in and warm up with some, hot tea and Splenda!