High Calorie Foods?

Options
2»

Replies

• Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Many days I'm struggling to get to 1200 calories because I'm not hungry and I'm trying to not eat refined sugar or a ton of carbs (I'm not low carb by any stretch, though). I always have an ounce of nuts to help bump me up. But here I am, not hungry, knowing I need more calories, already had my almonds, and am at a loss! I'm not a huge fan of avocados. Any other healthy, high calorie options that you guys can suggest?

Mix 1/4cup of sunflower seeds (200 cal) with 1/4 cup (130 cal) of raisins and you have a 360 cal snack and if you really want to get wild mix 1/4 cup of oatmeal (75 cal) with a tbs (120 cal) of olive oil

This 3/4 cup snack will provide 525 cals.

You can also put a tsp of olive oil on veggies, oatmeal, smoothies, etc.
  • bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    But she is eating lean meats and not meeting her calorie goal.
    She can eat more, but I am assuming based on the fact she is having trouble reaching her goal, eating more food isn't an easy option. Adding calorie dense foods can add more calories without adding a ton of food. Avocados are healthy fats, as is the fat in salmon, olive oil, coconut oil, etc. Drinking fuller fat milk gives her more calories while consuming the same amount of food.
    eTA - especially since she is eating lower carbs (not low carb I understand) so adding calories with carbs is not an option.

I don't want to get in a debate with you, mostly because I don't disagree with anything you are saying. ... Except that she didn't say anything about eating meat at all. I guess I just assumed she wanted to add cals and didn't include fats since it wasn't mentioned
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    You guys have some awesome suggestions! Thanks!

As for the plain greek yogurt, I LOVE the flavored kinds, but have eliminated them because of all of the sugar. I'm a little scared of "plain" yogurt, but I guess I could flavor it....how do you like the taste?

Plain ole greek yogurt is good, but if you dont like it plain, eat it in a smoothie with 1/2 banana and berries. Oh yeah!
  • rovernio
    rovernio Posts: 157
    Options
    some hamburgers are like 900 calories :P
  • AnikaP81
    AnikaP81 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Edamame is a healthy snack option as well. 1/2 cup (shelled) has 120 kcal, no refined sugars :)