This is a great list!! Love it!
  • happilyeveractive
    happilyeveractive Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    IF YOUR HUNGRY EAT! YOU NEED TO GET YOUR CALORIES IN!

and this has been a kelsey moment of the day!
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Please PLEASE be careful with this list. Many of the things on this list are the same types of things they talk about (and DO) on anorexia and bulimia websites.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. There are some good tips,just be careful not to overdo it...
  • brittanyholocker
    brittanyholocker Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • danafoxx
    Options
    I'm printing this out right now. Thank you for posting this. <3
    I've seen these all before (unfortunately, I've seen it more than once used in the "pro-ana" context), but it's nice to have a physical list to look at simply to remind me to do some of them.

^^ yeah i was a little worried when i saw a few of these but over all it is a cute little list
  • ArtsyGeekette
    ArtsyGeekette Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    "5. Eat ice or gum when hungry. This will make your body think it had food without the calories."

This is pro-ana and horrible advice. Please chew gum if you can tolerate it or want to freshen up but ice is extremely bad to chew for your teeth. Find something else to do like a hobby, call a friend, clean, exercise, go shopping or if it is hunger, eat real, nutritious food like a piece of meat and a vegetable or fruit with a small piece of cheese or a creamy dip. Against popular belief, eating a decent amount of animal and dairy fat will help you lose weight. It is the intake of too many refined carbohydrates (includes natural and artificial sugars) that make you gain or make it impossible to lose as it screws with your insulin and glucose levels. Cut back your calories and carbs and see the difference. This is very prevalent in women as well who are absolutely struggling to lose fat and gain muscle. I am one of them. I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and Insulin Resistance. Hashimoto's I have very limited control through medication as I will have it for life but the Insulin Resistance is what I got this by not eating healthy and falling prey to those damn fad diets. Who knew it was just a lifestyle change? .Was this hard to do? You betcha but one the best decisions I have ever made.

Low Carb is much more sustainable than Low Fat. I nearly killed myself buying into the Snackwell/Slim-Fast low-fat/high carb mentality. I now eat real meat, real dairy (including butter, not that margarine crap), lots of vegetables, small amounts of whole grain items when warranted and select fruit for vitamin C or as a treat. I have a splurge day where I keep calories between 1800-2100 instead of 1400-1600 with a few junk items, wiped out unfermented Soy, Aspartame (aka Acesulfame K) from all consumed products. Since this change, I am much healthier and all the merrier. In two weeks, I have lost 14 lbs, stopped hair loss and have much more energy. My blood labs for A1C came back from 6.6 to 3.2, TSH from 9.01 to 4.76 and fasting glucose is 86 instead of 100. I am satified to the point where I can eat twice a day, no issues except thirst.

No fancy meal plans or gimmicky things to buy, just modification that worked for me. I hope it works for someone else, too. Above all, if you do have serious conditions, talk with your doctor first as the last thing you want to do is screw up your health. If it is just a matter of choices, MFP is a very good tool. Hell, if it has a label, you can scan it in with your smartphone!

If anyone is interested, please check out the following forums for good information and to start changing your lifestyle.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Paleo (Paleolithic eating for the modern man)
    http://www.reddit.com/r/keto (Very low to no carbs, good for sparking quick weight loss)
    http://www.reddit.com/r/fitmeals (Moderate to low carb meals)
    http://www.dietdoctor.com (Scandinavian Blog for Low Carb living, very good advice and interesting articles)
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com (Primal/Paleo lifestyle, I use it for certain recipes.)

Please read the FAQ on these pages and ask plenty of questions. (Warning: Some people on there can be jerks but pay them no mind. Reddit is an awesome community!) I am no guru, not a doctor and certainly not iron-clad advice but take what you find and do some research before following a "list" on the internet. Good Luck, everyone!
  • lmfsmiles
    lmfsmiles Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Excellent list!
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Snap myself with a rubber band when I get hungry? Wtf is that going to do?

I'd rather just eat some food when I'm hungry.
  • envy09
    envy09 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Please PLEASE be careful with this list. Many of the things on this list are the same types of things they talk about (and DO) on anorexia and bulimia websites.

Agreed. Snapping yourself with a rubber-band when you're hungry!? Are you trying to create a Pavlovian pain response to your body's hunger mechanism? Food is not the enemy people! Eat clean, lift heavy, and enjoy yourself!
  • Beth24793
    Beth24793 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    *bump* :)
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Yea I got pro-ana vibes from this list too. Some of the advice was okay, but most of it I don't agree with. If I'm hungry I'm not gonna snap my wrist with a rubber band, I'm going to eat... food is to keep you healthy like wtf.
  • candygirl1980
    Options
    awesome! thanks for sharing!
  • ma_oeuvre
    Options
    Some good, some not so good. Like this -

Wear a rubber band around your wrist. Snap it when you want to eat.

That is really really BAD advice. I've seen something similar and I don't want to share it because I think it might be triggering for some people, but the very basic info I'll share was encouraging self harm after eating to associate eating with pain. That seems to me a modified version of that. And, even if it isn't - it's still deliberately hurting yourself. That is not cool. I know snapping a rubber band around your wrist isn't particularly dangerous or a reason to rush into psychiatric treatment, but it is still deliberately hurting yourself.

But, y'know, there was some good advice there. I don't want to belittle the OP. I like the one about putting on nail polish to feel pretty - it's good to encourage boosting your self esteem. :)
  • chocobis09
    chocobis09 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I have a list for you:
    1. Eat Less
    2. Move More
    3. Lift Heavy

Done
  • tonya0587
    Options
    bump
  • Zoeegirl
    Zoeegirl Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,244 Member
    Options
    Lots of junk...

Lots of broscience...

Lots of "pro ana" stuff...

Yea, don't think I want much to do with it.
  • dyingstars
    dyingstars Posts: 11 Member
    Options

THIS. especially the snap band when hungry thing. :c