Stop exercising for 3 weeks.

Options
Over Christmas I will be going home for 3 weeks.

At home I am not a member of the gym, whereas at the moment I use my uni gym 4 times a week.

I'm really worried I'll gain weight over christmas by not exercising to the same level.

What will happen?

and what can I do?

Replies

• lublue
    lublue Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Just watch your food intake. There's also no reason why you shouldn't exercise at home - try running outside or going for walks, or hit youtube and do some free workout videos.

Also, for strength training, on amazon you can get pretty cheap equipment, like bands or hand weights.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    There's always pushups and situps.
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    You don't even need equipment... just help clean, or move furniture, or put away the groceries. Just stay active and watch your meals. And, if you gain a couple pounds... so what? You know exactly what to do when the holiday is over. Don't sweat it - just sweat! :)
  • Trudyr777
    Trudyr777 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    There's lots you can do without a gym. Push ups, sit ups, lunges, squats, side bends, march in place, run in place, use soup cans for weights, walk outside, go up and down stairs for 10 minutes.

Where there is a will there is a way!

Good luck, stay focused and don't look for the excuse!!
  • shyeban
    shyeban Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    buy a skipping rope?
  • smp4463
    smp4463 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    dancing is a great!
  • valeriewxy
    valeriewxy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I've got a similar "issue" ^_^ and I'm thinking I will start on the 30 Day Shred ;)
    Also, going for walks ~ and generally trying to keep as active as possible :D
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I have been laid up with a bad knee for three weeks and counting, I went from running 15 miles a week to couch surfing. During this time my weight loss plateau has been broken, believe it or not. Just stick to your calorie goals.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Besides, you can do other things. Take a walk every day or a few times a week.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    might be a good time to start couch to 5k
  • pcotter54
    pcotter54 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I have the impression there are books and DVDs and what-not along the lines of "Your Body Is Its Own Gym," or something like that. The concept is, moving your own body weight, etc. Maybe you could look into that. Good luck however you choose to handle things!
  • mdbs2004
    mdbs2004 Posts: 220
    Options
    I stopped for about 1 month because of injuries and breaking up with my girlfriend. It was great. I lost 10 pounds! and when I started again I kept loosing. I was plateaued for about 3 months. Dont worry about 3 weeks with no exercise. But still eat right!
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Do you have a gym there? Ask the gym for a guest pass or something to that degree.

If not go walking.

Bring an excerise DVD.
  • SorchaRavenlock
    SorchaRavenlock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Go for a walk!

There are also plenty of exercise videos out there, all you need is a DVD player. Youtube has a bunch of free ones as well, for example look for Tiffany Rothe's ones.

Sit-ups, push-ups, running in place while watching tv, dancing to your favorite music: none of hem need equipment. Just keep moving and you'll burn those calories ;)
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    If I couldn't use my normal kit, I'd do bodyweight exercises eg press ups, star jumps, lunges, kicks. Just keep doing them until you cannot move. Should burn a calorie or two.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I stopped logging completely and most exercise for about a month when I had a stress fracture last winter.

I like to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. I was prepared to gain one pound a week while laid up, and I was ok with that. I knew that a small amount of weight like that wouldn't make any noticeable difference in my appearance, and once I was able to get back on track, it would come right off. Just a minor detour, not a road block.

I gained one pound. It was worth it.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    With respect, I can't believe you're lost without your gym! You could do any number of bodyweight exercises, go for a walk or run. Is there a swimming bath nearby? Skipping has been mentioned. Fill a 5 litre plastic bottle with water and look on You Tube for kettlebell routines.

Kick off your shoes and do any number of Yoga or Pilates sessions on You Tube and other sites. The opportunities are endless!

Oh goodness - who needs a gym?!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    You didn't say what you do at the gym. I was lost too years ago. But, it's amazing what you can do with your body weight. Look up the military workout. Pushups, situps, pullups, plus some running, jumping jacks, russian twists, burpees, etc. It goes on and on. It's endless.

It is my feeling that you can get a better workout outside of the gym. But, again, it depends on what you are doing. Some exercises are tough to do without barbells, for instance. It's tough to do dead lifts or squats without the proper gear. But, there are ways around it.

good luck.