Anyone Else Losing More Motivation than Weight??

Options
I started MFP about 5 months ago. I was so loyal to it, logging EVERY day, never skipping! I lost 14 pounds :)

After I started my new job last month, I just felt so overwhelmed and just stopped all together. I feel like I don't have time to do cardio anymore. I sit at a desk now, all day. I think it is just making me lazy.. I really need some help! I can't go back to the way I used to be.. I would just die if I gained those pounds back, but it's also killing me to just sit around at work, and then be too tired to work out after.

I feel like with work, classes in the evening, and a family to take care of, I just don't have time to squeeze in any cardio. When I can't work out, I just get so careless about my food, because I feel like I can't lose weight unless I can work out.

Does anyone else have a full schedule? How are you fitting in your cardio, and what kind of work outs do you use?

Replies

• larnsperger
    larnsperger Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I would say most people on here have really full lives. Working out is a choice. You either make the choice or you don't. "If it's important you find a way and if it's not you find an excuse." Have that quote stuck in my head. It is difficult to work a sedentary job, take classes, care for a family and make wise choices. Is there anyway you can take your lunch time and possibly walk around where you work for 20-30 minutes? that would serve the exercise purpose and give you some much needed alone time to clear your head with all you have going on in your life. My children are grown now, when they were young I went to the gym at 5:30 am as it was the only time I could fit it in my schedule. I work out in the morning now because I have no real energy after working all day. Good luck as you continue this journey, don't give it up it is so worth it!
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    If you don't have time to exercise, than even more importance has to be put on food. Diet plays a major role in weight loss, it's possible to lose weight on diet alone. Even still, time needs to be found for exercise every now and then. What about your days off work?
  • haleydself
    Options
    I guess I could do my workout in the mornings.. I normally get up at 5:30 anyway, to have some coffee, read my devotional, and watch some news before I have to get ready for work. That is usually my only time to myself, but I may just start getting up at 5:15 instead... Thanks for the help. I just am not used to being so busy, I gotta figure out a way to make it all work out.
  • WVmom24
    WVmom24 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I think almost everyone on MFP can understand what you mean. My schedule is also not friendly to living a healthy lifestyle. I have three children, and I work full time overnights on the weekends. Due to working midnights (so that I don't have to get a daycare and they sleep at my mom's while I work), the days after I get home from work, I can get no sleep. I go 3-4 days without more than a 2hr nap every week. That's a killer in itself. Trying to exercise on top of that? Ha. So this is what I've been doing...maybe it can give you some ideas, idk lol...I'm awake Friday through Monday due to work and my kids. During that time I know exercise is least likely to happen. I'm exhausted and just want to sit and be peaceful. So Fri-Mon, I decrease my calorie intake from about 1,500 to 1,200. I'm at rest most of the time and don't "need" more than 1,200 cals those days. Then Tues-Thurs, I eat my 1,500-1,600 cals and exercise about an hour per day. It sucks not to be able to have a consistent schedule throughout the week, but HEY, it's better than nothing, right?
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    As above - try looking in to some low calorie but filling foods:
    Leeks used instead of normal carb sauces (ie replacing pasta).
    Shiritaki noodles instead of pasta - pretty much 0 calories; lots of fibre and decently filling.
    Protein fluff and sugar free jelly - high protein, low calories and filling.
  • haleydself
    Options
    I think almost everyone on MFP can understand what you mean. My schedule is also not friendly to living a healthy lifestyle. I have three children, and I work full time overnights on the weekends. Due to working midnights (so that I don't have to get a daycare and they sleep at my mom's while I work), the days after I get home from work, I can get no sleep. I go 3-4 days without more than a 2hr nap every week. That's a killer in itself. Trying to exercise on top of that? Ha. So this is what I've been doing...maybe it can give you some ideas, idk lol...I'm awake Friday through Monday due to work and my kids. During that time I know exercise is least likely to happen. I'm exhausted and just want to sit and be peaceful. So Fri-Mon, I decrease my calorie intake from about 1,500 to 1,200. I'm at rest most of the time and don't "need" more than 1,200 cals those days. Then Tues-Thurs, I eat my 1,500-1,600 cals and exercise about an hour per day. It sucks not to be able to have a consistent schedule throughout the week, but HEY, it's better than nothing, right?

Wow, you really ARE busy! I couldn't do that... But yeah, it does make sense to decrease my calories on days I can't work out. I'm off every tuesday and thursday, so on those days I need to be better about fitting in some cardio of some kind!
  • orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I suggest lunch-time walks as well. You are concentrating on what you cannot do. You need to rethink this. You have a VERY full life, so you should feel good about any little bit of exercise that you can manage to get in. If you an only walk 15-20 minutes at lunch, feel proud that you did that! There are other ways that you can get exercise in. How about your housework? Work hard and fast to get the house clean. Set a timer as you begin each chore (or room). Challenge yourself to get it down more quickly each time you do a task. Shopping? Park in the last space and do a quick walk to and from the stores. Sitting at your desk at work? Tighten your stomach muscles, hold, repeat 10 or 15 times. On those days that you can find 20-30 minutes, do HIIT exercises. Here's a link that was posted on another thread. HIIT burns fat more efficiently than other forms of cardio and takes less time. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbinfo.php?page=HIIT You can find a way to make this work. Start by not getting down on yourself and feeling good about whatever exercise you can get in.
  • kinrsa
    kinrsa Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I've been having the same problem the last two weeks since I relaxed on my workouts.

Normally I cycle 9 miles to work & 9 miles home with a backpack full of work clothes. It means getting up an hour earlier but once I get into the habit of it that's no big deal. If I can't do that I'll get up early go for a quick 30 minute run before work. I used to stop by a gym on the way to work with my work clothes in my workout bag.

I try to get my workouts done in the morning because I don't want to give up my lunch break & after work I'm too tired.
  • UnstopableMother
    Options
    Dido to larnsperger" coment you should have breaks at work Use them! also my daughter has a desk job and sits on n exercise ball instead of chair it helps her posture and she works out while working they also have a fitness program and fitness incentives at her job. You can find the time it is not easy but you can do it, Most of all don't give up we all care about your success.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Everyone has really busy lives and there is never enough time in a day.

Like another poster said, if it is important to you than you will find the time to do what it takes. Maybe you need to get up an hour earlier.. maybe you need to workout on your lunch break at work... maybe you need to go right after work and workout. You may be tired but you just have to get up and get your workout in.
  • jenf235
    jenf235 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. I work three jobs during the school year, two during the summer. I have found that I have to do my workouts late at night, as I am not a morning person. It's a little easier for me because I don't have any children, but I have a workout buddy who stay on my case and meets me almost every night to do aerobics or go walking for about an hour. having another person to help share the responsibility helps a lot. Good luck to you.
  • Torgrills
    Torgrills Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm a full time nurse case manager and am on the road 5 days a week, plus I have the family to take care of at home and a myriad of animals. I understand! At one point I became so obsessed with the number on the scale and so bombarded with day to day things that I quit. I now understand that I can't have a scale in the house and need to go strictly by how I FEEL. I keep track of my calories and exercise, take my vitamins, and let it all go. If I lose weight, fantastic! If I don't, well I'm either not working hard enough for my body (birth control makes the weight loss a little tough) or I'm not noticing the subtle changes.

As far as exercise goes, a saying on Pinterest really keeps me going: You can either choose to spend 1 hour exercising, or you can choose to spend 24 hours not liking what you see in the mirror.
  • hello50s
    Options
    I get up at 5 am weekday mornings in order to fit in cardio. Makes the whole day that much better as I've gotten in the exercise first thing. Sometimes I literally drag myself out of bed, but if you are motivated you will do it. Plus it get the endorphins going first thing so keeps the blues/depression at bay (esp in winter).
  • diverdiza
    diverdiza Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm about to start 3 weeks of 14 hours a day of work, 6 days a week.
    I have NO IDEA how I'm going to fit exercise in, but I know I either have to find a way to do so, OR I need to restrict my food intake because I am NOT throwing away all the effort and success I've achieved so far this year.
    You say you've lost 14 pounds - that's an achievement you should be proud of too - surely you don't want that going to waste?
    As one of the earlier people said - it depends on if its important to you... Good luck.
  • shyeban
    shyeban Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    The only way I've made time is by making exercise part of my transportation- I ride my bike to work sometimes, etc. also, it's part of my routine. Certain days it is in the diary and it's a non negotiable.
  • haleydself
    Options
    Thanks for all the help and advice everyone :) I am going to try waking up at 5:00 instead of 5:30. Hopefully I can manage that, there is no other time to get in a work out on the days that I work! You are right, I do NOT want to waste all that hard work I put in to lose those 14 pounds!! I can't gain it back. Thanks guys!
  • Yolanda4160
    Yolanda4160 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I work full time, plus a wife, and mother of 2 young girls . I wake up at 4:30 am to go to the gym. That is the only time I can (before work while the hubby and girls are asleep), but that is my sacrifice for my overall health. It's not easy (believe me!) but it is worth it when you can see the progress. :smile:
  • edennew
    edennew Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    You said that your morning time is your only time to yourself. When I do my morning walks, I take my music and headphones and play music that inspires me. I am finding that my walks are such a special experience and that feeling my body really move, taking in the morning air and listening to music is really enriching. That time is for ME only and I love it!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,358 Member
    Options
    How long is your lunch? On days weather permits go for 20 to 30 min walk. If too cold or rainy walk in a store or mall for the sole purpose of exercise. No shopping until you have completed your walk. I recommend purchasing a heart rate monitor.

Like one poster wrote, eating is 80% of it. The exercise helps because none of us are perfect with our eating. Exercise OS good for so many things while we are on this journey.

Keep up the good work and make the time to get healthy. Success is never giving up!!