running for first time and heart rate is super high

Options
I just started running. I swim laps and use an eliptical machine at the gym and use a polar hear rate monitor. In either of those I can control my hear rate - I go slower and it drops - faster to speed it up. While running, no mater how slow I go, my heart rate jumps to the 190s after 10 - 30 seconds. I slow down to almost a fast walk but my heart rate takes a long time to slow down.

I'm certainly not in the absolute best shape but I can comfortably swim laps or use an eliptical for an hour and keep my heart rate in the 120 - 140 range. I'm trying to start running around my neighborhood so I can exercise outside a bit more. I've never run for fun and even though I played water polo and tennis in school a few decades ago, I never had to do much running then.

Any tips on getting past this other than just keep doing it?

Also - my heart rate monitor says I burned 870 calories in 50 minutes - does this actually count since I was anaerobic for a significant portion of the 50 minutes?

Replies

• maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    190's seems waaayyy too high. I run a lot, always with a HRM, and I only get into the 180's if I am seriously pushing it, hard-core. I don't know what is going on with you, but I would not try to sustain that kind of heart-rate. Maybe try to get into better shape by doing your other, more gentle, activities, or only run for 10 seconds at a time and then back off until your heart-rate slows down, repeat.

This is only based on my own experience, but 120-140 is not very high. I always try to get at least up into the high 150's to really feel like I'm working at all, and my runs usually have me in the 160's. So you might try getting that number a bit higher before you venture into running.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    dont worry about your heart rate. as long as you are overall healthy, got the clearance from your doctor to exercise and don't pass out, then keep at it. especially dont worry about some arbitrary numbers.. 180 might be high for some people but not at all for others. that's why it's good to go by the rate of perceived exertion scale.

i frequently work out in almost the anaerobic range, i started off with heart issues (HBP) and my doctor told me to keep at it and just use my best judgement where feeling light headed means stop but generally being uncomfortable and huffing and puffing means suck it up cupcake and keep moving.

i've been working out like this for almost a year and my heart hasnt exploded yet :wink:
  • appleseeds
    appleseeds Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    195 is the max heart rate for my age and my personal trainer was always very happy when I got into the 190's on the stair machine. Only difference I guess is that we only do that high intensity for maybe 2 minutes at a time.
  • likemeinvisible
    Options
    Just keep doing it, it will drop in time. Not a lot of time too - within a month it will drop to 160's.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I'm super fit on the bike and swimming, yet I suck balls at running. And My HR is slowly going down, but its taking a while. Just keep working at it. Record your AVERAGE HR that is displayed at the end of the workout. And keep doing that, then see if you noticed a trend after 2 months.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    FOR THE LOVE OF EVERYTHING HOLY OF COURSE YOUR HEART RATE IS HIGH. YOU JUST STARTED RUNNING, FOR PETES SAKE.

do yourself a huge favor and throw your HRM away. Better, sell it to some other sucker on Craiglist. For some advanced training regimens an hrm can be helpful. For a beginning or intermediate runner, not only is it not needed it actually hurts more than it helps.

Just go run. Running and lifting and dieting are things that get people fit. Not checking hrm readings every 20 steps. I swear 90% of the HRM users on this site are slowing their progress down with those things
  • eatrainsmile
    eatrainsmile Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing it, it will drop in time. Not a lot of time too - within a month it will drop to 160's.

I second this. It's because your body isnt used to running so your heart rate is crazy. It'll drop by time.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I've been running since June, and my heart rate started out in the 190's... now I can sustain it in around the 180's.

The only reason why I can do this is because of my HRM... I can look at and know if my heart rate is getting higher then normal and adjust my speed based on that.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    While those other things you did are good exercise, and help keep you in shape, there is not substitute for running outdoors. Running shape is a different kind of shape. 190 Seems a little high it's certainly in the range of error for a HRM. When I'm running I cruise in the 175 range, and if I'm really moving I might get up to 185, but I can't keep it there for very long. I'm not sure even the most fit person can run and keep their HR as low as you are wanting to keep yours. Like others have said, just go run. You WILL stop running if your HR gets "too" high.
  • freya33
    freya33 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Great info, it has really cheered me up. When I first satrt running heart rate zooms up and then after about 5-10 m ins I get into the run and it settles down to about 150-160 ( I plod a lot rather than fast running). The main thing is to get out and enjoy it. It is hard on the body at the start but well worth the effort (unless it is pouring down with rain as it is in UK and I hate running in the gym).
  • pyrowill
    Options

do yourself a huge favor and throw your HRM away. Better, sell it to some other sucker on Craiglist. For some advanced training regimens an hrm can be helpful. For a beginning or intermediate runner, not only is it not needed it actually hurts more than it helps.

Just go run. Running and lifting and dieting are things that get people fit. Not checking hrm readings every 20 steps. I swear 90% of the HRM users on this site are slowing their progress down with those things

Ignore this advice. I'm a beginner/intermediate runner and I find my HRM is brilliant to see improvement, log my calories and make me feel like I have a cool toy. A HRM is fantastic tool for anyone doing any exercise. No one said you are 'checking your Hr every 20 steps'. Wear your HR so at the end of the run you can see your av heart rate and calories burned. :)
  • pyrowill
    Options

Also - my heart rate monitor says I burned 870 calories in 50 minutes - does this actually count since I was anaerobic for a significant portion of the 50 minutes?

Of course it counts, calories burned are calories burned. :). How do you know you were anaerobic? Are you sure you don't just mean 'in the cardo zone' as opposed to the fat zone?
  • Bernadettetoo
    Options
    dont worry about your heart rate. as long as you are overall healthy, got the clearance from your doctor to exercise and don't pass out, then keep at it. especially dont worry about some arbitrary numbers.. 180 might be high for some people but not at all for others. that's why it's good to go by the rate of perceived exertion scale.

i frequently work out in almost the anaerobic range, i started off with heart issues (HBP) and my doctor told me to keep at it and just use my best judgement where feeling light headed means stop but generally being uncomfortable and huffing and puffing means suck it up cupcake and keep moving.

i've been working out like this for almost a year and my heart hasnt exploded yet :wink:

Agree!
  • CDG1013
    CDG1013 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Try backing off on your pace until you are more used to running. Run at a pace where it would be uncomfortable to have a conversation with a running buddy. As you get more used to it, you will be able to pick up your pace and your heart rate will not race as much. I had a similar problem with swimming. I have always been a runner and train in the 140-150 BPM range and at 7:30-8:00 min/mile pace. I started swimming and could not go more than 50 meters without a break and it felt like my heart would come right through my chest. A friend told me to slow my stroke rate down and find a pace that I could swim 400 m to start and gradually work up to where I could swim 30-40 min straight. It worked, and now I can swim 1600 m without a rest and the pace is beginning to improve.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Ask your Dr. for a heart stress test to make sure you do not have an anomaly! Better safe then dead!
  • kmorganlfc
    kmorganlfc Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I've used heart rate monitors on and off for around 10 years, and sometimes at the start of a run you can get some very strange readings: sudden spikes in heart rate when I'm not physiologically feeling as though my heart rate is that high. It could be due to the HRM picking up some stray electromagentism from traffic or other sources because further into the run the readings drop substantially. I'm not suggesting this is the reason why your readings are high, but they can be distorted. If you're really out of breath and your chest is pounding, then stop. If you're feeling ok, then that's because you are actually ok. :) High heart rates are only a concern if you have high blood pressure and you are at risk of heart disease or a stroke, or some other illness that can really hurt.
  • clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I suggest you start walking outside regularly. Get used to the terrain and the outside temp's. After a few weeks, gradually increase your speed until finally you are jogging.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    One thing that I love about my HRM is that I can see the progress I'm making with running. When I start a new week on C25K, my heart rate spikes into the 180's..., by the time I'm done with that week and ready to move on, the spikes are low 170's, and the overall average for the run is a lot lower. I can see over time that my heart rate recovers a lot faster than it did just a month ago.

Start slow. When the amount you're doing seems easy - step it up for the next run. I have to repeat weeks in the C25K program, but I'm seeing progress, and it's very encouraging. When I first started, 30secs seemed like forever. Now I'm up to 5 minutes, and that 5 minutes seems easier than the 30 secs did that first day.
  • shiftysheep
    shiftysheep Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    "suck it up cupcake and keep moving." - I like it.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I am astounded at some of the most irresponsible comments regarding a heart rate monitor and of a hr of 190! Not one person here asked your age and physical condition, and yet gave you a bunch of unqualified advice. A hr of 190 bpm is not high if; dependent on your age; if you are in good health; good shape; properly nourished and hydrated - but on the other hand, a hr of 190 is one step away from the grave if you are an older out of shape person.

A good heart monitor is a great piece of equipment. It serves as a tachometer and gives a reference point for your performance. It will tell if you have been training too much and if you need to take a day off. After you become acquainted with your hrm you will be able to reconcile your performance. It will show your physical improvement (be sure and keep a log). It will also help with your cool down. I never stop my cool down walk until my hr drops below 100 bpm.

NOTE: If your heart rate does not drop at least 12 bpm in 60 seconds after you stopprd running and have transitioned into your cool down walk you may have a heart condition. See a doctor.

Many times I get up for my morning run and just dont feel like it. I find all kind of excuses, Im sick, something is wrong, etc. - I strap on the hrm and if it shows my hr is high then I know I have a legitimate reason to take the day off,, but if it is normal, I get my lazy buns on the road.

You only have one heart, and I cant give you one decent reason to ignore such a rapid hr without going for a physical.