Serious medical question below....

Options
2»

Replies

• ravengirl1611
    ravengirl1611 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    They used this on my niece who'd was about 8 at the time. She broke both of the bones in her lower arm, clean break but required setting. They had given her morphine for pain and her heart rate slowed too much (she was very small for her age). After putting a crash cart by her bed (very scary!!) and waiting for the morphine to peak, they determined this was the best drug for them to use when they set her arm. There was screaming (like someone was killing her). It was very unsettling for me and my brother (who were both standing outside the room). But she doesn't remember a thing about it. Luckily no side effects from it though.

Something similar happened with my son - about the same age - broken arm that had to be rebroken then set - not sure if it was the same drug but he screamed like he was being murdered and has no memory of it - everyone there does though. I didnt agree with the drug then and still dont - but Im sure it's 'safer' than using a complete anasthesia on children
  • Charlie003
    Charlie003 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    If its a serious medical question, surely this isn.t the place to find an answer?

I am looking for peoples experiences. I suppose I could just google it.
  • Charlie003
    Charlie003 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Okay, forget the statement of agony, since it seems to be distracting everyone from the question.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I've been an ICU nurse for 15 years. As others have said, when performing a procedure or placing a patient on the ventilator, we generally want to keep our patients CALM, quiet, and comfortable. Versed, often along with fentanyl (for pain), does the trick.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    As a paramedic I have administered versed several times. The most common effect is that the patient is sleepy, slurs words and generally seems intoxicated. As a patient, I have been given versed several times before surgery and each time, the last thing I remember is being wheeled into the OR. I didn't have any negative effects afterwards. If you're really concerned, just ask the CRNA or anesthesiologist what to expect before they administer it to you.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    The only experience I can tell you is that I couldn't wait for them to give me that drug because they told me it would help alleviate my anxiety and help me rest before the actual anesthesia was administered. I was very uncomfortable with all the tubes and felt very impatient waiting for them to administer it. I remember feeling it going in my arm from the IV and talking to the nurse about it being cold and painful. The next thing I remember is waking up in the recovery room. I believe I remember everything after waking up, since people told me things they expected I wouldn't remember, but I did.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Did you suffer greatly during your procedure? If not, stop creating psychological drama for yourself and move on. If it was a procedure that only required Versed, it was relatively minor. Move on. Really.

Kinda agree with this!

I am not having drama. I am just trying to figure out the mechanics. Could I have been having a conversation, or whatever, then blink my eyes and not remember? I like to question things. It is how I learn.

Yes, you could have been in a somewhat awake state. During TEEs, we use Versed because we need the patient to be awake enough to be able to follow basic commands and assist in swallowing when we are inserting the probe. Often, they are uncomfortable and have an active gag reflex, but are able to swallow on command. Sometimes they move around and have some discomfort. They do not remember it afterwards.
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    They used this on my niece who'd was about 8 at the time. She broke both of the bones in her lower arm, clean break but required setting. They had given her morphine for pain and her heart rate slowed too much (she was very small for her age). After putting a crash cart by her bed (very scary!!) and waiting for the morphine to peak, they determined this was the best drug for them to use when they set her arm. There was screaming (like someone was killing her). It was very unsettling for me and my brother (who were both standing outside the room). But she doesn't remember a thing about it. Luckily no side effects from it though.

Something similar happened with my son - about the same age - broken arm that had to be rebroken then set - not sure if it was the same drug but he screamed like he was being murdered and has no memory of it - everyone there does though. I didnt agree with the drug then and still dont - but Im sure it's 'safer' than using a complete anasthesia on children

I was unsettled by the pain she was in but she doesn't remember any of it so for her it's like it never happened. We were told everything beforehand but not allowed in the room for the procedure (in fact they said family members sometimes had strong reactions and they locked the door after we were out). She was "very" comfortable after that though and didn't even mind them putting the cast on (prior to that anyone touching her had her crying even with the morphine). I trust that the doctor weighed all the pros and cons when deciding what medication was best to use (specially after her reaction to the morphine). It was a better option than settling it with the morphine alone (she would have remembered that I'm sure!).
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    They gave it to my husband when he was having his vasectomy. He was very uncomfortable during his surgery. I was right there with him the entire time and he kept flinching in pain and asking for more pain meds, it really hurt him. He doesn't remember anything though. That experience is why I laughed at my doctor when he wanted me to have a colonoscopy and said I wouldn't remember anything. Um I don't care if I won't remember it if I am going to be in pain while it is happening. That doesn't make me feel any better about it. You either put me out so I don't feel pain, or I don't have the procedure. Period.
  • lsapphire
    lsapphire Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Every drug has some kind of possible side effects. ASK your doctor. Also any good physician/surgeon/anesthetist will be paying attention and should be able to notice signs of pain. Just remember it is your right to be informed and information is available.
  • NorseMaiden
    NorseMaiden Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I had the Forget drug last week for an out patient procedure...I didn't have the luxury of forgetting it however. I clearly remember the horrific pain and the nurses flipping me over to push on my abdomen to help the probe alone as it got caught on the last corner around my lower intestine. It hurt like hell, my blood pressure dropped and they put me on oxygen during that time too. Once the procedure was over they asked me about it and I told them what I remembered. Needless to say they were quite surprised. I've rambled, I'm sorry. I don't have any memory problems from the med now...but I do have anxiety attacks almost every night when I lay down to sleep. I was not aware that could have been a possible side effect of the med. Interesting.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    i WAS TOLD i WAS GOING TO HAVE ANESTETIC and would not feel much, I did not know I was getting amnesia drug, and that I would not remember what I was feeling.

I would be pissed too. I had some pretty bad side effects for more than a year because of a vaccine I was given- side effects that I specifically asked about and was given incorrect information. When I went to report it there was no medical record that I'd even been given the vaccine. It makes me very uneasy when physicians and nurses give incorrect information or adopt their "just shut up and do it" attitude.
  • JonTheOrt
    Options
    I have had two, and on Monday will have one more surgery where it will likely be used. If the Anesthesiologist does the same thing as before I will get a spinal block, Lidocaine, plus Versed for significant foot surgery. The spinal and Lidocaine block the pain. The Verced doesn't just block memory, it acts similarly to Valium in that it also relieves anxiety and causes drowsiness. I remember bits and pieces of both prior surgeries and there are no issues for me with negative side-effects. I would believe that experiencing great pain while under the influence of Versed might have negative side-effects even if there is no direct memory (similar to PTSD from what I have read). Because I didn't have any pain during the surgery and because I didn't feel stressed at the time (mostly because of the Versed) the memories I have are mostly interesting to talk about, not problematic.

A block and Versed is far safer than general. I would always do it if given a choice.

Jon