Help for a new runner

Options
Hello, I have been jogging now for about 3 weeks, around 2/3times a week depending on weather and how i feel.

I started well, manage to get to around 1mile of running fairly quickly, but then it sort of went downhill

I started to dread running, it stopped being fun, my will to get past that awful AWFUL painful bit where you just want to stop and push through stopped being there and so i was not enjoying my running at all :(

Then Last night, i starting running from a different location and to begin with it was all fairly uphill, so i walked quite a bit having run and got tired out quite quickly. When i began running again, it was really really nice, i jogged at a good steady pace for a long while, felt i could go longer, really enjoyed it!

So i want to be able to get to that point again, i think what happened was

- I ran, got tired out, panting and sweaty

- I walked through it, keeping my heart rate up but still slowed, power walked stylee

then when i felt up to it i started slowly jogging again, and i jogged for, well ages and ages and ages! I felt like i could go on for ever!

I enjoyed that, thats what i WANT from running, that music in my ears and the feeling of just moving freely

Mmmmm, i suppose i am posting because i know lots of people here have far far more experience of this all than me, and could tell me how to keep getting to that lovely, point of freedom where i run and run and enjoy it rather than feel like i want to die.

I am sure wanting to die is 'great' in the short term, it makes me work hard etc, but in the long term i think it will stop me from running.

Whereas the yummy free bit will make me want to run further and further until i build myself up to run a half marathon!

Replies

• timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I think you found the key, although there is usually a little bit of discomfort as you warm up, running should not make you feel like you want to die, if it does, slow down so you are at a comfortable, easy (and for the most part enjoyable) pace. Don't focus on speed or distance, focus on time...if you run 20 minutes today, try for 22 next week etc..., how fast you go is not important, speed will come naturally over time as you build endurance.
  • Liveformiracles
    Options
    I fell out of running after doing five 5k races...at my own pace. But I really live by Chi Running, my dad and I were really into it and even did a retreat with the author of the book, before my dad had foot surgey. My point is that I never ever thought I could run, but this book and the website have so many good tips, it helped a lot. It's based on pacing yourself for long distances and moving so that you don't get tired out or hurt. I really suggest to everyone's know interested in running, if it helped me of all people I think it could help anyone. Hope it helps:happy:
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I will check that out later x

I think the problem is that my mind (and my music) are set to run faster than a slow wobble, so when i start i tend to take a while to settle into a doable pace.

I think i am just going to do a 10min walk followed by a 5-10min run and then walk a bit more before going for a proper full on jog for half an hour or so... before walking for 10 to cool down of course.
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you already know what you need to do! Sloooow down. Speed can come later! I had the same problem - I thought that running meant I had to RUN, and I would get winded and tired and had to stop really quickly. As soon as I slowed down to a jog, I was able to build endurance and run for MUCH longer and enjoyed my runs lots more. Since, then I have been able to build speed on my shorter runs by going on longer runs (4+ miles). Good luck! Running is way too much fun for you to make yourself miserable over it :)