I wouldn't....
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    PLUS SEVEN!
  • traceygl1967
    traceygl1967 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I personally would not add cleaning as excercise unless it was real heavy spring clean,
    Moving furniture type :)
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    i dont think its neccesary to add regular daily activites asd excercise. i would just skip it and not bother...unless you were doing jumping jacks and burpess while washing your floor! lol

^
  • si74
    si74 Posts: 5
    Options
    All the people saying they wouldn't log it, that wasn't even the question, maybe some people need a reading lesson, the guidelines say "Please stay on-topic within a forum topic" the topic is HOW TO log it, not your opinion on if it counts
  • petersonabt
    petersonabt Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I searched and found "cleaning" but can't figure out how to add to my daily exercise.

to answer your question...with out my own two cents... cleaning is under the cardio section...there should be two different ones "light, moderate" and "vigorous" click on the one that pertains to you and put the minutes ad it will give you calories burned.

hope that helps :)
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Whoa! Calm down girl. If cleaning is their job, then their activity level should not be sedentary. Also, considering the fact that MFP overestimates calories burned, logging normal things like cleaning is MOST LIKELY just going to give an overestimated caloric increase, thus setting back their weight loss.

^^ this
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    All the people saying they wouldn't log it, that wasn't even the question, maybe some people need a reading lesson, the guidelines say "Please stay on-topic within a forum topic" the topic is HOW TO log it, not your opinion on if it counts

of course my opinion counts. this is the internet.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    When I had to add cleaning it was because I had my activity level set too low. I even counted washing up (and continued to lose more rapidly than mfp suggested).

Please follow the technical advice given if you mean you seldom clean, and perhaps go up an activity level if you will feel like you're starving if you don't log it.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I've never understood why so many people are so quick to add cleaning as "exercise". The only cleaning I ever log as exercise is washing my entire car by hand and cleaning the inside.. that's because I actually work up a sweat doing it. How does vacuuming and dusting burn calories enough to be counted as exercise? Why not just consider it a bonus for the day? Just my opinion, do what you want.
  • Stinkerbelle84
    Options
    You may work up a sweat washing your entire vehicle, interior and exterior, by hand. Who is to say that someone else does not work up a sweat by vacuuming and dusting an entire house? How big of a job are you talking about? One living room? Or an entire 3,000 square foot house? I know when I vacuum, I include the baseboards, grout lines, and all of the other little crevases. I do sweat. I clean my house on a daily basis, just keeping up with the daily clutter. I don't log that. But, when it is time to scrub the bathrooms, floors, walls, etc. (usually about once a week) I do log it. I sweat my @ss off when doing the major cleaning. And, no, we are not slobs. Just kids and a dog, lol.

My opinion, not that it really matters, is to each is own. What makes you sweat may not make me sweat. Personally, I don't wash my own car, I have it detailed. But, I do "detail" my floors myself, and it is a workout.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    You may work up a sweat washing your entire vehicle, interior and exterior, by hand. Who is to say that someone else does not work up a sweat by vacuuming and dusting an entire house? How big of a job are you talking about? One living room? Or an entire 3,000 square foot house? I know when I vacuum, I include the baseboards, grout lines, and all of the other little crevases. I do sweat. I clean my house on a daily basis, just keeping up with the daily clutter. I don't log that. But, when it is time to scrub the bathrooms, floors, walls, etc. (usually about once a week) I do log it. I sweat my @ss off when doing the major cleaning. And, no, we are not slobs. Just kids and a dog, lol.

My opinion, not that it really matters, is to each is own. What makes you sweat may not make me sweat. Personally, I don't wash my own car, I have it detailed. But, I do "detail" my floors myself, and it is a workout.

I watch people count cleaning as exercise on almost a daily basis. You can't really tell me they are doing rigorous cleaning every single time.
  • rosesigil
    rosesigil Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    i dont think its neccesary to add regular daily activites asd excercise. i would just skip it and not bother...unless you were doing jumping jacks and burpess while washing your floor! lol

+1.

Hi,

I always add mine. It's hard work. I thik it's in the cardio area. I think it's like 300 calories burned for 60 minutes.
  • nphect
    nphect Posts: 474
    Options
    where is do i add orgy sex, anyone know...
  • cfregon
    cfregon Posts: 147
    Options

I watch people count cleaning as exercise on almost a daily basis. You can't really tell me they are doing rigorous cleaning every single time.

I've had (note past tense) MFP friends who would log 6+ hours a day of vigorous cleaning per day, 4+ days a week. If it's that regular and you are very confident that the burn accurately reflects the work you've done, why not change your activity level? I also wondered why so much cleaning needed to be done. lol. The same friends would eat back all of the 'calories burned' from the cleaning, and wonder why they didn't lose anything. So be very careful.

I really think it's up to you, OP, to decide. I'd go with the suggestion of a HRM, or using it as a bonus burn. But yeah, it's in the database, but remember, it's only a random estimate. Be careful, and good luck.
  • Stinkerbelle84
    Options
    Like I said, to each is own. I am not going to say don't log it period, because I don't know what kind of cleaning you do. But I do know that I am not a slob, and I work up a sweat cleaning the house at least once, sometimes twice, a week. I have white floors and a black dog, lol. I was just saying that it is not up to use to judge whether or not someone should log cleaning. I did not mention a word about how many times a week/day they log it; nor did I say to eat back calories. Personally, I don't eat them back and I rarely take the number on MFP (calories burned) seriously, because it can be a little higher that I expect.

I never said that someone should/shouldn't log cleaning....I just said that the OP (or any other MFP member) may actually work up a sweat cleaning. It is up to them to determine how they wil log it.
  • SCHOTAMK
    SCHOTAMK Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks for that response about whether to log cleaning as exercise. Even light house cleaning burns something. Just by the way, when I clean I scrub, move furniture, work in the yard. I easily work 4 hours around the house on a Saturday afternoon.
  • SCHOTAMK
    Options
    I haven't looked up sex but I know we burn calories for that too. I would add it!
  • SCHOTAMK
    Options
    Thank you for all your replies. There are a lot of nice thoughts and tips here. I just to say "be nice". This forum is here so we can offer support one to another. I was really surprised to see some "cut throat" remarks here.
  • wrests
    wrests Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I haven't looked up sex but I know we burn calories for that too. I would add it!
    Nope, it's only about 21 cals per session. A HRM won't even log it accurately, as your heart rate is artificially high (think when you kiss someone you love, your heartrate goes up- are you really burning cals by moving your lips a little bit?)