Calling all current and aspiring RUNNERS!

Options
124»

Replies

• HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    FIRST....Awesome how far you've come!

Okay; I'm not quite at your level...LOL! But I do love to run. I run 4 x per week currently only racking up around 15 miles per week as I have had a couple of injuries this year that set me back; tendinitis in my knee (no running for 6 weeks in Jan/Feb); then late August a small car accident (whip lash; this really set me back)

I ran the Warrior Dash in May this year and last year
    I am running a 5K (Reindeer Romp) Dec. 8th
    And planning my first half marathon for March.....I'm in training for that now; following Hal Higdon's Novice1 training program

I also aspire to run a triathlon, but I have to learn to swim first and that requires access to a pool. This summer I did get started on that getting to swim 2x per week at a neighbor's house; of course its on hold now b/c of Winter and unfortunately there is not an indoor pool near me...I will pick up where I left off with her again next Summer and then next Fall we plan to put in our own pool with a heat pump so I can swim maybe 10 months out of the year...so this might be a 2014 race.

Feel free to add me.
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I have a crazy daydream that I'll run the Disney Princess half marathon February 2014.

I'm heavy, so it's slow going. It was three weeks of walking before my heart rate was low enough to even start couch to 5k. I'm now on week 2 day 2 and it's going alright.

I hope to start including some 5k's once I get my finish time around 30 minutes. You can add me if you like, though I'm quite a bit behind you.. lol
  • abbiekgurl
    abbiekgurl Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I want to begin a program. Trying to locate the guidelines and instructions for starting the Couch to 5K - for some reason not having any luck. Any advice on websites, please share. Thanks

The Couch to 5K training can be found here: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
    If you don't like that program or would prefer another, a friend of mine is using this one (probably more feasible for someone that has previously ran, rather than someone new to running period): http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/5k.html

I started with the Couch to 5K, but was having some issues further on and got sidetracked thanks to shin splints. (Ouch!) I've switched to the second link I provided, where I currently run 25 minutes every other day and will try to achieve 28-30 every other day next week. It's a slow process, but I'm running more than I used to!
  • wonderstruck91
    wonderstruck91 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    so inspiring! i never considered myself a runner either. i am also doing a 5k race on thursday! this will be my 3rd race and i am very excited. i am currently training for my first half marathon. it's a women's only half marathon in april, and i can't wait!
  • nadiakwd
    Options
    hey! I need some motivation to get me back out there in these winter months. feel free to add! c: c:
  • evanesco
    Options
    You can add me, I completed C25K and now I run 3 days a week, when it's not too dark
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Running addict since 1984. Please feel free to add me! Mike
  • joyzy
    joyzy Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses! Happy running to everyone!
    Joy
  • fat2fitdancody
    fat2fitdancody Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Just signed up for the Loughborough Half Marathon next year, only 119 days to go, time to step up the training.
  • GTI_Girl
    GTI_Girl Posts: 207
    Options
    seems like my life revolves around running now. add me if you like
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Runner here! Friend request sent. I have done a couple of 5K obstacle courses, a half marathon and a couple other races. I have two more half marathons coming up and more obstacle courses in the near future!
  • cheshire29
    Options
    I just ran my first 5k last weekend and am very new to running. Feel free to add me if you are looking for motivation and will motivate me as well! I am on week 5 of couch to 5k as well which has been great so far.
  • sunbeadmendain
    Options
    I'm trying to get more into running because I do really enjoy it but I'm so tired most evenings after school and going before is not an option, i need to wake up at 6:30 as it is

I'll be running my first 5k on february 1st so that should keep me motivated and on track
  • jenjarvi
    jenjarvi Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I run. I am slow, BUT I am lapping everyone who is still on the couch.
  • fat2fitdancody
    fat2fitdancody Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Meeting a goal feels good, smashing it feels even better.

100 Miles in November:

exercise.png
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I started c25k in august but I do a week per month instead. I should finish it in April 2013, just in time for a Color Run in my area in May. As a practice 5k I am doing the Jingle Bell Fun Run this saturday. 33 hrs away! I'm so excited! I would be thrilled if I could run half, walk the rest. At 282 lbs I think running the whole 3.1 miles is a bit too much for my joints. But doing it in intervals I know I'm ready! Wish me luck!