What should I do with my beets / beetroot?

Options
2»

Replies

• Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    bears catch horseys by the tail!

if he hollers let him go!
  • NaturallyOlivia
    NaturallyOlivia Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Make veggie chips from them! Slice them and bake them on a cookie sheet at 350 F for 20 min or until crispy. Add a topping like cinnamon and splenda or a little garlic salt and they should be a great snack!
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    bears catch horseys by the tail!

if he hollers let him go!

hahahaha!!!!!!!
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I love beets. I just boil the crap out of them until the skin is soft. Then just peel the skin off with your hands(careful-they are HOT suckers). Then slice them up, toss in a tad of butter and enjoy. I also like them cold on salads.
  • NZhellkat
    NZhellkat Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Pickled beets are awesome in salads and in burgers. An absolute must have. Don't like them plain and haven't tried them roasted. Will have to do that next time we have fresh beets.
  • MsYanaBanana
    Options
    As another Russian chick on the board I say I hate borstch..Unless my mom/g-ma cooks it. I make venegret. This recepie is close enough: (minus the beans)

http://www.enjoyyourcooking.com/salads/russian-salad-vinegret.html
  • KimAggie04
    KimAggie04 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I posted this before, but my favorite way to eat beets is Orange Beet Salad.

1 bunch of beets (cleaned with the root tails & stems removed)
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    3 tablespoons water
    3 small blood oranges (or 2 large oranges)
    1/4 cup toasted walnuts (chopped)

Place beets on foil, add the water & oil. Fold foil into a closed packet. Roast at 400 degrees F until tender, about 50 minutes. Peel the beets and cut into wedges. Segment 2 oranges and mix in a bowl with the beets and walnuts. Squeeze the remaining orange over the mixture and toss.

This salad tastes great when the beets are still warm and when it has been chilled. If I use organic beets, I don't peel off the skin, because it's also delicious and adds nutrients.
  • cristeberga
    cristeberga Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    All I do is sprinkle some salt and olive oil on it after heating it up. My 7-year old daughter loves it.