How Often Do You Weigh?

Options
Some people say to weigh everyday, other day to weight once a week or even once every other week. I find when I weigh everyday my weight is kind of all over the place. When is the best time to weigh and how often?

Replies

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Probably best is one day a week, early morning. I weigh every time I'm near a scale, which is WAY too often! I'm obsessed!
  • Alli4Chocolate
    Alli4Chocolate Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    If I weigh everyday I would become defeated. I would get so upset seeing the numbers not moving. I use my clothes to measure whether I am losing or not. Once I feel comfortable I will get the scale out, but once I get to my goal weight I probably will do once a week.
  • Myan1959
    Myan1959 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My weight is all over the place so I weigh once a week on Saturday mornings as soon as I wake up. I did the everyday and got too depressed about it.
  • denisel321
    Options
    Daily, with the understanding that some days the scale will be up a few pounds after really hard workouts or eating salty foods. I gained weight by avoiding the scale, and have lost weight by staying on top of it.
  • timmyb057
    timmyb057 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I do my "official" weigh-ins once a week (usually Saturdays) first thing in the morning (before breakfast). I'll do a quick check a couple times during the week, but have also noticed its all over the place (but sometimes those are at night, after meals, etc...). Taking body measurements is also a good way to gauge progress (something I wish I had done earlier!)

Hope that helps! Best of luck!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day because my weight is all over the place. It helped me understand fluctuation and how to not depend on the scale.

I typically only record my weight ever two weeks.
  • portwein
    portwein Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm taking a scientific approach, and weighing in every morning immediately when I get up. I noticed a slight yo-yo effect, but nothing serious enough to cause depression. If I didn't weigh in everyday, I would not know how reducing my carbs, or decreasing my exercise on some days as an experiment was affecting my weight loss progression. I have also weighed myself before going to bed at night and found a general weight loss of 1 - 2 lbs. Interesting how much you can lose while sleeping!
  • Peazwithin
    Peazwithin Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I agree with (especially with Denisel321!). I weigh every morning. On one of the Dr tv shows, they said the best time to weigh is in the morning, (after your morning, you know) at 10 am! I am usually up and out at that time. My every morning weigh in is to keep an eye on weight & water gain. I picked Tuesdays as my official weigh date and tend to use that weight when I chart myself. I too am a little compulsive about the weight thing, but ignoring the scale and not paying attention to me was how I gained a TON of weight!
  • juuniper77
    juuniper77 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day because my weight is all over the place. It helped me understand fluctuation and how to not depend on the scale.

I typically only record my weight ever two weeks.

me too (though i record it once a week). Some days my weight is up 3lb due to salt or whatever. What if the one day I weigh is the day it is up 3lb? I like to watch for trends :)
  • TanyaRochelle
    TanyaRochelle Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Daily, with the understanding that some days the scale will be up a few pounds after really hard workouts or eating salty foods.
    This is me! I weigh each morning at the same time, but I only log when I have a lower number than previously. May not be the "correct" way, but it is my way.
  • xoTLCxo
    xoTLCxo Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning but only log it every five days ( the day my counter updates)
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day, but I use the scale only as a tool.

Ten years ago I took my weekly *average* (weigh every day for a week and divide the total by 7), which is a more stable number with respect to trend than either daily or once-weekly weigh-ins. Here's a graph from back then that shows the difference:

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8316/8058380998_ed08a62411_z.jpg

Nowadays I also pay attention to body measurements and to how my clothes fit. Weight fluctuates for a wide variety of reasons.

I input my weight changes here when my weight decreases. This graph is from my current weight loss.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8478/8201655736_9296c6999c_c.jpg

By showing losses only and the length of time between them, I can clearly see that they occur in spurts. My weight can hold steady or blip up temporarily in between. I just keep to the plan and persevere, and eventually I see the drop.
  • DianneBoo
    DianneBoo Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I weigh the first of the month only. There are too many fluctuations throughout the month for me.....so it makesno sense for me to weigh more than the one time. Plus, this is more about how I feel and what I can do versus what number the scale gives me. :)
  • StephJB1221
    Options
    I used to weigh every morning, sometimes several times a day...it was extreme! At one point I was so discouraged by the scale..then took my progress photos and couldn't stop smiling because it showed the truth!!!....after learning the scale doesnt matter and is a liar I never get on it! I focus on pictures, measurments and just how I feel!!!
  • momofthreesons
    momofthreesons Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Used to daily, drove me nuts.. went to once a week for a long while however my weightloss is slow since I'm almost to goal so once every 2 weeks but it needs to be once a month. Just pick one day a week, same time, same type clothes... mines nakey in the morning after the bathroom :-)
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Some people say to weigh everyday, other day to weight once a week or even once every other week. I find when I weigh everyday my weight is kind of all over the place. When is the best time to weigh and how often?

I'm small and still my weight can fluctuate 3 lbs in one day, sometimes more;

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, hormones, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You cannot make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    don't weigh everyday, it makes you obsessive and your weight fluctuates so that will just make things worst. in the morning when you first wake up, once a week, maybe even every other week
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Monthly worked best for me.

I never had a single weigh-in where I didn't lose at least a couple pounds. When you weigh daily, or even weekly, you're more likely to see stalls and natural fluctuations - and that can be frustrating.

I've been on maintenance since February, and still weigh monthly. :smile:
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Weigh every day...and plan to the rest of my life... First thing in the morning after igo to the bathroom.. I only will br recording on sauturdays now that i am at goal.
  • MizManda180
    MizManda180 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I like the weighing once a week, maybe Saturdays like a couple of you, as my official weigh in, but I will probably sneak a few weighs in throughout the week.