• Charmed285
    Charmed285 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    brizillian lift dvd? don't know if it works, but may be worth looking into
    someome posted about it earlier today
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Youtube has a BUNCH of workouts that work out the butt and work the muscle there. It's just different variations of squatting to perk it up
  • greeneyedKat
    Options
    As other people have said weighted squats, lunges,and i do leg lifts with ankle weights( on hands and knees),lots of them! Brazil butt lift is a great workout too! It uses ankle weights and bands
  • cgray
    cgray Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Squats and lunges with weights in my hands and a trainer to watch my form did it for me. Very pleased with the results.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    "Favorite Glute Exercises from the Fittest Females" (Bret Contreras)

http://bretcontreras.com/2011/11/favorite-glute-exercises-from-the-fittest-females/
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Heavy, barbell, deep squats. Deadlifts. I suggest Strong Lifts 5x5.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I am one of those people with proportionately skinny arms and legs--which is nice. Along with that comes a proportionately flat but. Most of my chub is in my middle--not so nice.

So, while the fat is coming off and my legs are getting very muscular, I don't know what to do about this flat butt! Are there exercises that build the butt?

Squats, lunges, Romanian deadlifts, normal deadlifts, sprints, that butt machine all the girls use at the gym, jump squats, jump lunges, kettlebell swings, rear planks, butt lifts with your feet on a bench or swiss ball, to name a few.

AND...

barbell glute bridges, one leg glute bridges, stiff leg deadlifts, barbell high steps, bulgarian split squats

Your butt is a muscle. If you want to make it bigger, select exercises that target it. Spend some time learning about muscle hypertrophy and train that booty like a bodybuilder. Also, you will not likely build much muscle if you are in a caloric deficit. Growing a butt means building muscle, and that requires calories to do.

^^this
  • RiverDancer68
    RiverDancer68 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Yoga ;). I have never had a butt (my husband says I have hips and a crack :sad: ) but, since I started yoga 2+ years ago, my posterior has improved! I agree with all of the other suggestions (I'm going to follow some of them myself and mix it up), so take your pick...and make sure you are eating enough! Oh, and Lululemon's yoga pants rock, and give you a nice lift in that area...they are pricey, but really are worth it!!!:drinker:
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    squats.. if you want it to get bigger you need to be doing heavy squats and eating a lot. lol.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    The best things for it are doing exercises such as squats, leg press, deadlifts, and lunges with heavy, heavy weight. However just be aware that it is virtually impossible to isolate the glutes from the quads and hams. Mostly any exercise you do to focus on your butt will also have the same effect on your quads and hams. Also you need to be eating a _lot_ to get a muscle to grow.
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Squats and lunges!
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Squats, lunges, deadlifts, leg press
  • Getbusyliving1
    Options
    Squats!
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I've always had no butt, but now that I've lost a big chunk of my weight, it's been amplified (saggy cheeks lol).

About to start NROLFW, so maybe that'll help!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I am one of those people with proportionately skinny arms and legs--which is nice. Along with that comes a proportionately flat but. Most of my chub is in my middle--not so nice.

So, while the fat is coming off and my legs are getting very muscular, I don't know what to do about this flat butt! Are there exercises that build the butt?

Here are most of the exercises I do, not all on the same day, it is just a list. I did not design this. It's different every day, every week, always changing it up but always for me an all body workout and there is enough in the "leg" section there to work the legs and butt (glutes). I also do "The Glute Guy" exercises once or twice a week in addition to all the stuff listed.

The routine I do consists of weight lifting first and cardio second, but I still do cardio (mainly running). I change up everything all the time. My running is sometimes long easy runs, sometimes HIIT, sometimes shorter medium pace runs. My weight routine changes each day, each week, Circuits, Intermittent Super Sets, Fibonacci Pyramids, X-sets, Progress Venus Pyramids, and some splits, constantly changing it up, everything a variety of Strength, Hypertrophy, and Endurance.

Legs; In addition to Deadlift's, Stiff Leg Dead Lifts, Sumo Dead Lifts and Squats I do Bulgarian Split Squats, Lunges, Reverse lunges, Curtsey lunges, Step Ups, Crossover Bench Step Ups, One legged Deadlifts (T-Bend), Lunge Matrix, Bowler Squat, One Legged Get Ups, Bower Squat and Calf Raise, Bowler Squat + Stiff Leg Deadlift, Curtsey Lunge + Dumbbell Squat, T-Bend + Y-Squat, Reverse Lunge & Step Up, Curtsey Lunge + Step Up, Y-squat, Narrow Stance Squat

For upper body I do Standing Shoulder Press, Standing Dumbell Curls, Lying Tricep extension, Pullovers, Bent Barbell Row, Standing lateral Raise, Standing front Raise, Curl and Press, Shoulder Press + Curl, Dips, Lying Tricep Extensions + Flyes, Venus Raise (a type of snatch), Bent Row + Standing Lateral Raise, Pullovers, Pushup + Dips, Standing Dumbbell curls + Overhead Tricep Extension, Bent Lateral Raise + Pullovers, One Arm Dumbbell row, Flyes + Pushups, Seated Curl & Tate Press, Seated Curls + Overhead Tricep Extension, Pushups, Pullovers + Dips, Bent Barbell Row, Lateral Raise + Full Front Raise, Venus Raise + Dips, Standing Dumbbell curls + Lying Tricep Extension, Upright Row + Dips, Bent Barbell Row, Flat bench Press, Incline Bench Press, Bent Row Narrow, Bent Row + Kickback,

Then some upper and lower combos; Squat and Front Raise, Step Up & Press, Step Up + Standing Shoulder Press, Squat & Press, Squat & Swing, Curtsy Lunge + Standing Shoulder Pres, T-Bend & Row, Pike Front Rais + Curtsey Lunge, Flat Bench Press + Step Up.

Core: Bar Bell Rollouts (you can start out with Stability Ball Roll Outs), Swiss Ball Pikes (you can start out with Stability Ball Curl Ups), and planks. As you advance Swiss Ball Pike and pushup.

I probably forgot some but you get the idea.

Just be patient. It takes time to build muscle.

Also, some encouragement here for anyone afraid to lift and why you need to start ASAP, even just 3 days a week, you do not have to be as fanatical as I am to get the benefits:

Exercise is for making your lean body mass pretty (especially lifting weights) for when the fat is gone. Losing fat with no muscle is ugly and cardio alone will not make you pretty. You cannot out exercise too many calories.
    Everyone needs resistance training to improve their health and bone density and this will especially improve your quality of life when you get older. But you will not gain all that much lean body mass as fast as everyone thinks. Guys of course will gain more. A DXA scan will prove the point. There are lots of stories about changing size but no one REALLY knows unless they do a DXA scan. Here's more about that --> http://bradpilon.com/weight-loss/intermittent-fasting-and-bulking/ this is true whether you IF or not. My DXA scans proved that I really didn't gain that much lean body mass yet I look very muscular for a female. I have very high bone density from over 30 years of lifting yet my lean body mass is still only 104 lbs and my RMR is still only 1380.
    I recently had my DXA scan done and at 51.5 years of age I have the bone density of a super athletic 30 year old. That is a direct result of lifting for over 30 years. Now if that is not scientific proof that lifting weights keeps you younger I don't know what is! Also I believe it is why most people think I look much younger than I really am. Because of this I don't have to worry about osteoporosis. If you wait until you are older and your bones start to deteriorate it's a bit too late, you can't get back what you lost, and you can only start a resistance routine that will prevent further damage.

Cardio is good for you but it is optional. I love cardio, but you can't out exercise too many calories. Of course you burn calories, but not near what all the HRM's say. I learned the hard way, running marathon after marathon (yes even multiple runs during the day), as well as hitting the gym hard, martial arts, staying active all the time, not eating while watching TV, not binging, not mindlessly eating, not pigging out, not having emotional eating issues, yet I gained weight year after year, each decade putting on the pounds. I worked harder and harder, not able to figure out what was wrong. It didn't seem like I ate too much, but for my small size I did and didn't realize it until just a few years ago when I finally started losing weight by eating less.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Try The Butt Bible, you can find it on youtube,
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Squats, lots of them, lunges, deadlifts and barbell hip thrusts
  • kayellgee
    Options
    squats squats squats!! They stink, but they are great for the butt! :D
  • Lalamontour
    Options
    I do lots of squats, lunges, wall sits, and i have a huge round booty.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I ordered Jillian Michaels killer buns and thighs dvd. It's sposed to be here Monday so I will probably start on Tuesday. You can add me if you'd like and I will let you know how it works out for me. I really wanted to do the brazilian butt lift dvd's but it's not in my budget right now. I know everyone says squats and lunges but I do them all the time and haven't gotten any results.