Looking for support buddies for NOT SNACKING AFTER DINNER

Options
2»

Replies

• Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    You can create a group specifically for this type of support where you can check in on each other and everything. Just in case you didn't know. I like the "groups" feature a lot.
  • candctaber
    Options
    Drink lots of water!!! It takes time to get used to not eating all the time. If after you have drank water and are still hungry, try eating fresh veggies. Good Luck!
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,273 Member
    Options
    I have trouble with this periodically. Last week I was doing better but had a bit of trouble with it last night. I think sometimes I really feel hungry if not so much for calories for something more specific. Other times it is just habit or boredom and has to do with what I am doing that evening.
  • envy09
    envy09 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I snack at least 1 hour before I go to bed at 300 calories a "snack." I never go over my calorie allotment. You wanna know how I do it? Because I know myself, and I know I like to eat a good sized meal at night. So, to make up for this, I eat a smaller breakfast and lunch. If you know you're going to be hungry, save some calories! Switch some of your brands for lower calorie ones, or change up your eating routine. Some people like to eat at night, so make the changes needed to be able to do so.
  • towardthesunshine
    Options
    Hmmm... this is a great goal! I never really thought about it but it would definitely help my weight loss! :)
  • cgray
    cgray Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same problem! And then, it just kinda stopped. Weird, right? The oddest thing is it never caused any weight gain and now that it's stopped I haven't lost any weight. Anyway, I am always looking for friends, so add me if you'd like.
  • es2189
    es2189 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I snack at night, too. I usually save up a lot of my calories for late at night, which is bad, but I get anxious about wanting to eat something and not being able to. What has helped me a lot is chewing sugarless gum. I chew a lot of it, and while it's not the healthiest thing in the world, it is only 63 calories for an entire pack of Trident, and it lasts for hours (yes, just hours).
  • fattypattybinger
    Options
    I put a hair tie on my wrist and if I am fighting a snack that hasn't been planned I snap it. I did this when I quit smoking it does work.
  • fattypattybinger
    Options
    Here is my other trick. I still let my kids have their snacks in moderation. So I don't eat them I put Not for Mom on the package it works.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I always make sure that I leave some calories for an evening snack. I can't go without one. I've tried and have found if I deny myself one then I binge eat. So I calibrate my calories throughout the day and leave enough for a snack. I eat my snack between 9pm and 10pm (I know some people say not to eat that late but oh well). Then I immediately log those calories and complete my diary for the day.

For some reason completing my diary shuts my mind off about food for the rest of the night. I guess since its complete, I feel I don't have to/can't eat any more. LOL.

I've also learned not to buy chocolate, peanut butter and all those other high calorie snacks. I will buy them occasionally but I don't have them in the house as a rule. I don't need them and my kids don't need them. It forces them to make healthier snack choices as well.
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I make it a goal of mine NOT to eat after 6:00... if I absolutely HAVE to eat something for fear of starvation (LOL) after 6:00, I either eat a rice cake (50 Calories) or a small piece of fruit (also around 50 calories) or some raw vegetables (usually 20-30 calories).

best of luck to you!! You can do it! Feel free to add me on MFP if you're looking for more people to connect with!! :)
  • marinegirl92
    marinegirl92 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Guilty as charged!

What has helped me:
    * Hot Tea
    * Made a guideline for myself no eating after 7 PM.
    * Cruise MFP fitness/nutrition threads when I want to EAT EVERYTHING!
    * I don't bring snacking favorites into the house (if you have kids/husband ... this may not be possible - see next note)
    * Husband likes all the normal not good for you snacks... so I designated my own snack cabinet at prime viewing location so that's all I see when I go to the pantry
    * Another guideline for me - no foods are bad! I have what I want in moderation, log it and be done with it. When I deny myself x, y or z my cravings gets worse later or the next day. :(

YOU CAN DO IT!