Options

Replies

• BrotherJosephBlake2013
    Options
    best time to weigh in is 7am after u go to the bathroom
  • melissarina
    melissarina Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day because my weight is all over the place. It helped me understand fluctuation and how to not depend on the scale.

I typically only record my weight ever two weeks.

I do this too - I weigh in everyday and update my fitbit account with it, but only update my MFP account once a week.
  • Lns25
    Lns25 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily at the same time, (ie: first thing upon waking, after a wee and before a shower). I then record that weight weekly :)
  • SoopraBint
    Options
    I agree with (especially with Denisel321!). I weigh every morning. On one of the Dr tv shows, they said the best time to weigh is in the morning, (after your morning, you know) at 10 am! I am usually up and out at that time. My every morning weigh in is to keep an eye on weight & water gain. I picked Tuesdays as my official weigh date and tend to use that weight when I chart myself. I too am a little compulsive about the weight thing, but ignoring the scale and not paying attention to me was how I gained a TON of weight!

+1

I like to know how what I've eaten affects my weight. for example I discovered if I ate bread I would gain a pound or two. Much as I love bread its gone from my diet now.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I weight once a week, friday mornings, as I usually have a cheat meal on the weekends and I want my weigh in as far away from that as possible so the water weight levels out.
    Once I am at maintenance I will weigh everyday.
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Such a funny subject. Different people need different encouragements. The question, of course, is what works best for you. If you get discouraged by small upward changes or days of no change then weighing daily is probably not best for you, but if those days help you to be motivated to do what's best for yourself then it might be the best thing for you.

Personally I tend to weigh daily. If I fall into a plateau I will sometimes no weigh in more than once a week and one time when I was stuck for months I only weighed in once a month when my trainer checked me. At that time I stopped focusing on the scale not changing but the way my body fat and measurements were changing. If you stay the same weight for months but you have lost inches, that's encouraging in a different way.

One thing that does get to me in a funny way, I've had 2 weeks of really low change and 2 weeks of HUGE change and I have found in the huge change weeks I am glad I check daily because for reasons I don't yet understand I would rather report the change a couple of times a week and not have a 5 lb change posted in any given 7 days. LOL Go figure.
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Me and my scale are not on speaking terms right now. He's had his battery removed and has been stuffed behind the toilet.:laugh:
    I measure every week instead.
  • rvicini
    rvicini Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I fully agree with with age partner -i don't look so well though!-. What is important is the trend. I weight every day but I am not afraid of the scale! There are many reasons why the weight fluctuates..
    Usually I lose weight in chunks, meaning there is teend up and then down. When it goes down and you have done the right things, then you reach your new low, but that is only a reference, because your weight will go up again.
    Curiously, I learned that from the scale itself. As I said, I am not afraid of it. I have seen and read a lot of fellow partners not wanting to weight.
    My theory is that if you plot a curve with more frequency then you get more precise. The lowest point of your cycle may noy be the day of the week you arecweighting. In my case, for instance, it moves quite a few, but my trend shows the weight loss.

Some people say to weigh everyday, other day to weight once a week or even once every other week. I find when I weigh everyday my weight is kind of all over the place. When is the best time to weigh and how often?

I'm small and still my weight can fluctuate 3 lbs in one day, sometimes more;

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, hormones, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You cannot make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.
  • liawilliams123
    Options
    i do everyday! but its better once a week and in the morining after going to the toilet!
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Another daily weigh-er here. First thing in the morning after going to the washroom. Also need to factor in TOM, and if there's been a lot of sodium intake lately - those are huge contributors to fluctuations.
  • Ayla70
    Ayla70 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself when I know I've lost weight...or if I'm really trying to reach a certain goal (30 kilo mark is coming up).

Or...

After a bad day/weekend when I know I've gained, so I know exactly how much damage I'm doing for what I'm eating.

Basically every few days...but I don't let it really bother me, as long as I'm still losing gradually. It's not a race for me.

Edit* Oh...and I always weigh myself first thing in the morning, usually naked after I've done a wee. :bigsmile:
  • tcalamity
    tcalamity Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh very often maybe every 3-4 weeks cycle because of my exercise routine, but I use a tape measure instead every 2 weeks for progress and go by how my clothes and body feels :)
  • em435
    em435 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Once a month, usually after shower just so I can say I weigh Xlbs soaking wet.. ;)
  • rvicini
    rvicini Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Once a month, usually after shower just so I can say I weigh Xlbs soaking wet.. ;)

Dear em, you can weight before the shower, because fter you have water in your hair that doesn't belong to you.. Lol
  • JosephVitte
    JosephVitte Posts: 2,039
    Options
    I weigh when ever I go to the gym, which is often, daily, usually. It does fluxuate because I don't weigh at the same time and all that stuff. Sometimes I weigh before dinner, sometimes after, sometimes this, sometimes that. I never get worried about the numbers, I realize what's happening and the variables that play, and blah blah blah. I don't worry, I just weigh.
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I weigh 4 kilos less in the changing room than I do at home but yesterday I weighed 2 kilos more on the way out weigh in than on the way in weigh in.

Weighing scales are life's little joksters.
  • jetaylor63
    jetaylor63 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Daily, with the understanding that some days the scale will be up a few pounds after really hard workouts or eating salty foods.
    This is me! I weigh each morning at the same time, but I only log when I have a lower number than previously. May not be the "correct" way, but it is my way.
    I do the same, Whatever works for the individual is probably the "right" way to do it. I regained a lot by ignoring the scale too.
  • rosieg1979
    rosieg1979 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, in the morning. I have WiFi scales so it gets recorded automatically. The data then gets automatically pulled into https://trendweight.com/dashboard/ that uses some mathematical formula to smooth out the variations so I can see the overall trend. I like data :-)
  • MandyMoos1978
    MandyMoos1978 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I weigh weekly - first thing on a Sunday morning (just after using the toilet and nakey!) I went through a period of weighing everyday and it got me down! I was up and down like a yoyo and it depressed me. Yes I know that some days when I weigh on my 'day' that it could be one of the yoyo days when the weight is up because of fluctuations but then I know that the next week should reflect that and the weight will go down (has done so far!)
    This week I am up a lb but I know it is due to salt from a meal out and the lack of chances to go to the gym.
    Next week I have a clean week and am going to the gym more often so hopefully the scales will be down.
    But - I have lost nearly 6 stone and I am happy with the way I am looking and feeling and am wearing clothes I never dreamt of wearing and I am not letting the odd fluctuation get me down!
    I wish I could go to monthly weigh ins but I am impatient! And it is good to know how weeks where life can get in the way affect my progress and what I can do to help it afterwards!
    Hope that makes sense!
  • Snoozypaws3000
    Snoozypaws3000 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a week on a Wednesday morning when I get up and after I've had a pee!

I also measure myself as sometimes if I haven' lost any weight I may still have lost an CM or two on the tape...this keeps me from being disheartened if I've not lost anything.

I like weighing in on a Wednesday as then if I've had a bit of a bad weekend I have a few days before weigh in to rectify it or if I'm about to have a bit of a splurgy weekend where I'm out and about and having a few extra calories then I have a day or two to bank a few calories to save for then.

X