Are they right ???

Options
All my friends an family are telling me not to lose anymore weight I am still 14lbs heavier tan I was before getting pregnant I am 161lbs 5 ft 7" . They are starting to make me feel asif I have a problem when I know I haven't looking at my picture what's your opinion I still think I need to lose the 14 lb maybe an extra 7lbs or do I have a problem

Replies

• HotMummyMission
    HotMummyMission Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    <3
  • PibblesRun
    PibblesRun Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    That depends...161 is still overweight for 5' 7" but not if you have alot of muscle...then 161 might be perfect.
  • IsisRosa
    IsisRosa Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Can you post a pic?
  • HotMummyMission
    Options
    No I'm still classed as over weight my BMi is 25.4 iv tried exsplaning this to them but they said if I lose any more I will look sick -_- and I'm obsessed so I can't see it
  • HotMummyMission
    Options
    I don't no how to on my phone :( x
  • XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I think you could lose more. Not to be mean. Truthfully though. Id definately go for another 20
  • Marcieb21
    Marcieb21 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm sure they are only doing this because they love you and are worried for your health, but I say as long as you are in the healthy weight range for your height you will be fine. Now if you were trying to get below your healthy weight range I would say they definitely have a point. Just go with what you feel is healthy, and there are guidelines that help you to know that.
  • Joannie30
    Joannie30 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    BMI is very unreliable as it doesn't take into account how much muscle a person has. For example, we all know David Haye isn't fat, but his BMI would probably be through the roof! Just go by how your clothes fit and how YOU feel!

As your friend i'm sure you won't mind me telling you that you do tend to obsess a bit so try and relax. As long as you are healthy and feel healthy, its all good!
  • HotMummyMission
    Options
    I think you could lose more. Not to be mean. Truthfully though. Id definately go for another 20

Ino 20 is to much for me I was 10 and a half stone befor I got pregnant an people said I look anorexic because I'm tall and my hips are naturally wide I have no fat on the front of them at all now but quite abit at the back of them that's why I want to lose 14 then see how I look .. There making me feel asif I'm getting an ED and its winding me up
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    One, don't use BMI for anything except to wipe your *kitten*, it is a outdated, useless scale. Second, it is up to you. Do you feel healthy at your weight? What is your fitness level? Don't get to a certain target because others want you to, unless that is your doctor.
  • Marcieb21
    Marcieb21 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    P.s. I've noticed myself that many of my friends (mainly my roommates) kind of freak out over "diets" they say, you aren't fat you don't need to go on a diet." etc etc. When In reality I am just not happy(or healthy) eating the way I eat and gaining the weight I have been gaining. Going through this journey we all learn new things on what is healthy and other people just don't understand it. Don't let them get you down, you know what you are doing. Trust yourself.
  • HotMummyMission
    Options
    BMI is very unreliable as it doesn't take into account how much muscle a person has. For example, we all know David Haye isn't fat, but his BMI would probably be through the roof! Just go by how your clothes fit and how YOU feel!

As your friend i'm sure you won't mind me telling you that you do tend to obsess a bit so try and relax. As long as you are healthy and feel healthy, its all good!

Ino hunni thanks I'm unsure what dress size I am now I bough a size 16 dress and there about 5 inches big around my waist I think it's because iv lost all the fat of my face there saying it x
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Ignore. Don't tell them you're trying to lose more. Just do your thing, count your calories, workout. Many people say things like that because they are frustrated they "can't" lose. In the end, it's not about what they think, it's about you and your goals. If they ask "are you planning to lose more?" be vague... "I don't know. I'm happy with my progress. We'll see." Don't ever give the "I still want to lose X number of pounds" as that will always leave it open for people to give their unwelcome opinions.
    Congrats on your progress!
  • Joannie30
    Joannie30 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    One, don't use BMI for anything except to wipe your *kitten*, it is a outdated, useless scale. Second, it is up to you. Do you feel healthy at your weight? What is your fitness level? Don't get to a certain target because others want you to, unless that is your doctor.

This absolutely!!!!!!!
  • HotMummyMission
    Options
    Ignore. Don't tell them you're trying to lose more. Just do your thing, count your calories, workout. Many people say things like that because they are frustrated they "can't" lose. In the end, it's not about what they think, it's about you and your goals. If they ask "are you planning to lose more?" be vague... "I don't know. I'm happy with my progress. We'll see." Don't ever give the "I still want to lose X number of pounds" as that will always leave it open for people to give their unwelcome opinions.
    Congrats on your progress!

Thanks iv only told them I want to lose another 7lbs they don't no I want to lose 14 maybe 21lbs iv lost 28 so far and that's since September iv no fat on my face any ore an it was quite chubby so there saying I look ill.. Mainly my boyfriend nan and Grandads who care alot about me x
  • ardisia32
    ardisia32 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above comments that your friends and family are saying this out of caring. The other problem, however, is the lost ability to recognize what "normal" should look like. Society has gotten so used to seeing larger sizes in people (and pets apparently), that we are losing the ability to recognize healthy weights. It's true for portion sizes too. I've learned a great deal on that front thanks to measuring food, and logging on MFP! So, as long as you're comfortable losing more weight, then go for it. Try to be patient with your loved ones.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    People will tell you, "Don't' lose any more weight" when they are jealous of the way you look. If you aren't satisfied with your weight, it's perfectly okay to lose or gain if you wish. Do what YOU want to do, and ignore them. Let me guess, the family members saying this are women, right? Women are jealous by nature; it's irrelevant that they are related to you. My mom is the worst!!
  • HotMummyMission
    Options
    People will tell you, "Don't' lose any more weight" when they are jealous of the way you look. If you aren't satisfied with your weight, it's perfectly okay to lose or gain if you wish. Do what YOU want to do, and ignore them. Let me guess, the family members saying this are women, right? Women are jealous by nature; it's irrelevant that they are related to you. My mom is the worst!!

Yeah hunni ahha bu my patner said if I lose wa I want he dosant want to be with me if Im so skinny he dosant like it -_- ...my nan n grandad said to me there worried because I'm starting to look ill. -_- I think I look normal and have alot more to go x
  • ballroomsweetie
    Options
    Just hitting a number (pre-preg weight) isn't what it's all about. How are your losing the weight?? What are you eating....Perhaps its about getting your muscle tone back and eating more healthy that they are not seeing?
    If, IF you are doing those things, then I would avoid broaching the topic with others and change the topic of conversation and know you're being healthy and doing what is right for you.
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about what others think, you know your body better than anyone else and you have to do what feels right to you.

I get this too and it sometimes hurts as much as knowing people think you're fat (even though they seem to keep quiet about that). Not sure why people feel it's ok to tell you you are too skinny, but say nothing when you are overweight. I get comments like "you're going to blow away", "enough already, what are you trying to do", "you really don't need to lose anymore".

It's honestly no one else's business. Just smile and say "Thank you" and whatever else feels comfortable to shut them up. :)