I just moved home...

Options
I have seen a few posts about family support, but nothing that quite reached what I want to say. I am BEYOND frustrated with my family. I just moved back home, for a few personal reasons, last week. The week before my move I was not eating too well, for obvious reasons. This week, however, I really tried to do my part. I worked out five days, like usual, and did my best to eat as healthy as I can. Problem is, my dad is 400 pounds and my mom is also overweight. My dad has lost over a hundred pounds, so he acts as if he is super healthy. He could walk a mile and lose weight, whereas I have worked so hard to get where I am. They go out to dinner every single night, and since i'm a vegetarian, my options are already limited. How do I handle this situation? My dad has been making me breakfast every morning, and between that, eating out every night, and them telling me they ARE being healthy... I have already gained four pounds THIS WEEK. This is NOT okay.

Sorry for the long post, but I don't think I will be able to convince them they are not actually eating healthy. However, how do I get to where I need to be? Obviously try harder to eat healthy when eating out, but do I just need to triple my time in the gym? I wish I could just smack them into knowing what they are eating, but they don't want to listen. Also, I haven't reached more than 6000 steps a day (WITH working out), when I usually average 15,000-20,000. I just have nothing to do here! Help?

Replies

• SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    You can control your own calorie intake, and you do not need to involve anyone in that.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    Make your own breakfast and don't eat out with them. I would also worry about your weight for the moment..Maybe if they see you losing weight they might follow suit or at least be curious about it.
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Can you do your own grocery shopping, or do your parents let you add some things to the household list, or can you chip in for some of the groceries? I would start making my own breakfast and cooking my own dinners. Certainly you don't have to go out to eat every night (but lucky you for having the option!). I think you need to stock the kitchen with some of your own food and take some control back.
  • Saree1902
    Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    How about cooking a family meal for them? It'd be a nice way to get together, say thanks to them for taking you back in...and show them that healthy food can be nice! Or maybe join in with your dad cooking breakfast, and give him some tips on what you prefer to eat these days.

You could change the focus from 'healthy/diet' and start by saying that your tastes have changed and that since you've discovered (e.g.) fruit and oatmeal, you actually find that keeps you fuller/wakes you up more of a morning and you like it better than (e.g.) bacon. People get defensive if you say 'that's wrong/not healthy/a calorie-laden disaster area' so softening it might hep them see your point of view.

And the nothing to do/working out issue...can you go for a run? Assist with the grocery shop? Spring clean the house from top to bottom? Do any gardening? All of these will assist with the calorie burn and get rid of those 4lb. :smile:

Good luck!
  • eyeliner128
    eyeliner128 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat what your family eats. Buy the food you know is healthy and eat that. For exercise, walk around the block or get a treadmill. Your health depends on YOUR decisions, not your family.
  • annams76
    annams76 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Just start cooking for yourself. Go get your own things for the house and start doing your own thing. When they say they are going out to eat politely decline. It is all in your hands. I feel the same way. My husband is overweight and when he wants to go out to eat I usually don't get anything with him. I tend to just make myself something healthy. I even make him and my daughter cakes, pies, brownies and I just choose to not eat them. I wish you the best of luck but you need to focus on you, so continue to do the right thing for you. I am sure they will understand. Plus the less you go out to eat, the more money you can save. =)
  • tassshhhaaa
    tassshhhaaa Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I found this very helpful. I have been worried that if I don't eat out with them, that will be offensive and a slap in their face for being so generous to me. Changing my wording so it's less "offensive" and making it sound different could definitely help!

As far as working out, I do work out almost daily. it's the rest of the time since I left my job and literally have almost nothing to do. I'm going to try to find various extra things to do during the day.. raking the leaves, going grocery shopping, and walking my dogs.
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Ask them to stay home for dinner some night. Say it's your treat and you will also do clean up. It's your ball game play it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Your parents eat out every day, so just stay at home and cook yourself something healthy... No one is forcing you to eat...
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Eating out is difficult....Don't go with them. When I am challenged I eat by myself and find eating out just to difficult. Thank them for the invite and stay home.
  • cakemewithyou
    cakemewithyou Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    pick through what they give you and PORTION CONTROL. i know its tempting...but it's probably COVERED IN BUTTER.

i was addicted to breakfast during my pregnancy...i gained 60 lbs. NEVER AGAIN!
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Why not just buy some fruits and veggies and turn down going out? Just say you're not feeling well and rather make something else to eat?