What should I eat before I exercise?

Options
I'm not really sure what the best thing for me to eat before exercising is. I'm not weight lifting or anything like that (don't want to). Most mornings I will do 30 minutes at Curves, along with about 10 minutes of additional cardio and 10-20 minutes of additional butt or ab exercises thrown in there. A few times a week I'll also add a 3 mile walk to that (with some killer hills) at about a 3.7-4.0 mph pace. What's the best fuel for this? I've recently started eating sweet potato in the morning for breakfast, but don't know if I should be having more protein before I workout or not. I'm generally eating about 1 hour before I workout. Don't say workout on an empty stomach- I already know my body does not like that!

Replies

• koneil83
    koneil83 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I love eating bananas before and after exercising. I am doing the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. Here's what I found about eating them...

Bananas are a great way to fuel your body before or after exercise. They contain natural sugars for sustained energy, very important for exercise, plus a satisfying amount of fiber, in approximately 100 calories. They're rich in vitamin B6, which regulates blood glucose levels and keeps your moods at an even keel. They're also a good source of potassium, which helps to enhance alertness, prevent muscle fatigue, and control high blood pressure.

Read more: http://www.prevention.com/food/healthy-eating-tips/bananas-and-exercise#ixzz2DGDTqPJO
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Before a morning workout, I usually have toast or an english muffin with sugar free jam, or a fiber one bar. I take Zumba classes and there's a lot of bouncing around so my stomach appreciates me following the one-hour rule as well.
  • maryhm1
    maryhm1 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    So is everyone just having a carby kinda breakfast then before exercising?
  • dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I like to work out on an empty stomach. I drink about a liter of water before and something carby and proteiny after. Its all personal preference.

edit "I missed your "dont say empty stomach part" sorry ;) "
  • morgynsmama
    Options
    I run or lift nomally in the am without eating anything. Why fuel when my body can use what I have stored. That's just my thinking.
  • PennStateChick
    PennStateChick Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I eat Peanut Butter Toast prior to working out. I also drink a cup (or two) of coffee and at least 20 oz of water prior to working out.
  • envy09
    envy09 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Anything with complex carbohydrates and/or protein. Usually a whole wheat muffin (63cals) or some cottage cheese.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I work out in the am and my breakfast is egg whites, tilapia, PB2, and something hot to drink.
  • maberdine
    maberdine Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I like to have a mix of protein and carbs before a workout. I usually have a couple of boiled eggs and a piece of fruit. That seems to give me good sustained energy.
  • passmetheducksauce
    passmetheducksauce Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    i usually have myself a bowl of oatmeal(half cup dry) and a half cup of almond milk along with a scoop of whey protein powder mixed in
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i used to have a pretty hearty serving of oatmeal mixed with peanut butter and a banana, but i found that afterwards, i would be sluggish.

now, since i started intermittent fasting, i like to work out early in the morning, without having eaten anything more then coffee.
  • Easywider
    Easywider Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    For that limited amount of exertion I'd say no additional fuel is required. You should be fine up to a 3 day's fast, consecutively.
  • Sallybirdena
    Options
    I'm a 9-year member of Curves, and protein is what I've always eaten before a workout -usually a piece of low-fat
    string cheese. I know I miss it when I forget. I also start at Curves at 5:30am and I"m not about to get up any earlier
    to have breakfast first!
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I usually exercise about 30-60 min. after I've had breakfast, which is typically cereal or oatmeal and a cup of coffee. Nothing in particular. But, after exercise, I like to have a spoonful (about 1/2 tbs) of peanutbutter. I kind of walk around with it like it is a popsicle. Or, I'll have a banana. I just like to have something right after. I don't even remember why. lol
  • FloridaPops
    Options
    Anything with carbs, I've done plain oatmeal an hour prior to....helps.