Recomended Serving Sizes

Options
So this has been a pet peeve of mine when using other MFP's entries for foods. And I try to be vigelant in making sure the serving sizes are right, and often i find that they arenot. Yes that is me that is editing your food entry and not leaving msgs saying what I changed.

Sometimes the serving size will be right *i.e. 1 cup of soup* but all the nutritional values will be off, and weirdly off, not like everythig is doubled or anything like that but like the calorie values will be lower by 10-30 pts, the sodium will be off by 100 either up or down and the fat, fiber, calcium, and sugars will be off. One example was that the Sugar was put in on MFP as 4, when really they were 6 pts, and teh fiber was listed as 6 when they were really on the container listed as 10.

Seriously how does this happen? How do you get such random numbers that aren't correct?

Anyway here is an interesting link we should all read: http://www.realsimple.com/health/nutrition-diet/healthy-eating/read-nutrition-facts-labels-10000001110931/index.html

Replies

• jdramage
    jdramage Posts: 37
    Options
    I live in Canada and the problem for me has been that the same product will vary a lot from what is posted, which I imagine is the American version. So when I put new food entries into the database I will always put (Canada) in the title. It has helped me manage a lot better and hopefully will not confuse anyone.
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    jdramage is right. I remember I was shocked when the same foods had different nutritional information over in England compared to over here. Same brand, same product.... but apparently made slightly differently.
    Also, it is not unheard of for companies to change their recipes, and therefore nutritional information, without notifying people.
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    i'm confused is the link supposed to be related to the post?
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I live in Canada and the problem for me has been that the same product will vary a lot from what is posted, which I imagine is the American version. So when I put new food entries into the database I will always put (Canada) in the title. It has helped me manage a lot better and hopefully will not confuse anyone.

I agree. I've seen differences and thought the american product is different.
    I've been one to enter an item and put (Cdn) beside the name.
  • LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Before I even saw all the responses I thought to myself - mine are different because I'm from Canada :)
  • MirandaJayne
    MirandaJayne Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    i'm confused is the link supposed to be related to the post?

Sorry its more just a side note of theimportance of the nutritional values and the serving sizes.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options

Seriously how does this happen? How do you get such random numbers that aren't correct?

A lot of times manufacturers change nutrition labels for whatever reason. Sometimes they change the recipe, or maybe sometimes they may have reanalyzed the nutrition facts & changed the label to be more accurate.

And then there's always good ol' fashioned human error.

Edit: Sorry I echoed. I didn't read the responses first. :embarassed:
  • hollyroode
    Options
    I'm from Canada and it definitely makes it easier to find the right item when it says (Canada) next to it! Thanks for doing that guys :)
  • mama22girlz
    mama22girlz Posts: 291
    Options
    so if you change it does it change the original posting? or make a new one? Not that I'm saying your wrong but if you change one that was say from a Canadian label therefore it would be slightly different, and that person then goes back to use it, it will throw them off. Or we (the Canadians and Americans) will just take turns going back and forth and changing each others entries which will also get us no where. I think we should all put the country of origin beside entry so those using it will know where to look.