Couch to 5k!

Options
I am starting the couch to 5k tomorrow, and was wondering if anyone had any good advice to give me? I'm 300 lbs, and not in great shape (obviously!) but not in terrible shape either. I can run for about 2 minutes right now before I need a walking break. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Good luck! After a certain point its all mental. Your head might tell you that you can't do something that your body is totally capable of.
  • bluechip777
    bluechip777 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    If you can do 2 min, you can DO this program--- just keep going!!!
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    running for 2 mins is very good I started off at 20 secs I can run 15 mins now without thinking about it takes time to build up but it will come!
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    don't worry about repeating any weeks you really struggle with and also prepare for your body to hurt a little for the first few weeks while you get used to running. Most people get sore ankles and/or shins around the first 3 weeks but this goes by week four as long as you are running right. Make sure it is not too much hurt though as you may need to change style, trainers or something more.

Decent trainers are good if you can afford it but I would wait until you are a few weeks in and know that you can stick to it.

Also remember to run real slowwwwwwwwwwwwwww so that you can still just about talk. It is about increasing distance not speed, that can come later when you are a steady runner. I ran too fast in the first few weeks and when I first tried week four I was nearly sick with effort, however I then learned to slow down further and could run 5k a couple of weeks after that!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Good shoes that have been fitted at a running store, go slow, smal steps, land midfoot, don't take big steps and smash your heels (causes shin splints),stay positive (big part of running is metnal, breaking the barrier of what you think you can do), stick with it, don't eat within an hour before going out, repeat days if you need to but don't get stuck.
  • dbevisjr
    dbevisjr Posts: 183
    Options
    Good shoes are important but even more so for us heavier people when we run. C25K is desiged to be 3 workouts a week always with 1 rest day between so pick days and try to stick with them, I did Mon, Wed and Fri. Most important is that you have to know you can do it. It does get easier. In Feb I coudn't run 3 minutes but now I can run 6 miles easily and have done a couple runs up to 8 miles. And my heart rate stays much lower. Let us know how you do.
  • StephG1130
    StephG1130 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the great advice! I did my first day today, and I did alright.. i took a break after my first half mile (or 10 min.) because my shins and ankles hurt SO bad. I was actually going to quit, and I made myself go back out and finish. I'm so happy I did.. my ankles and shins didn't hurt as bad when I went back. I can't wait to go back in a couple days!
    I have one question... how do I manage my ankle and shin pain? it was unbearable... i almost started crying, and I'm not one to cry! I know it isnt going to go away completely, but any advice on how to lessen it? I have good shoes, and a friend who is an avid runner told me my form looked good.
    Thanks again!!
  • mrso97
    mrso97 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    i started couch to 10k 3 weeks ago..i just finished week 3 day one yesterday....i did notice that the first run was the hardest (so far). ..the pace they take is actually pretty good...i never ran before this..and i am really starting to like it!! good luck ...keep us posted!
  • smoothgrl
    smoothgrl Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it and DON'T try to work ahead and run more than it says to... my first mistake was trying to skip ahead because I thought I could do it. This time around (I will be finishing week one tomorrow morning) I will be doing only what it says to do. Enjoy it, who knew running could be fun! :)
  • cstexas2012
    cstexas2012 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'll second whoever said not to skip the rest days. YOU WILL REGRET DOING THIS. Also seconding repeating days until you feel good about the distance.

The ankle/shin pain does come with starting a running thing, but I'm reluctant to advise running through the pain or anything like that. Track coaches will tell you to do that and then their runners spend the entire off-season getting over their shin problems. I'm not sure (perhaps someone can weigh in) if severe shin/ankle pain is an inevitability when you're starting somewhat overweight, but I started at a pretty healthy weight and I still totally screwed myself up the first couple of times I started C25K by attempting to run through shin pain and/or not taking rest days and had to wait a while before I started again because my shins hurt so bad for so long. The third or fourth time I postponed my runs until the next day (or the day after) unless the shin pain was REALLY light. That was really frustrating, both because I wanted to get better at running and because I wanted to burn calories. However, it was also the only way that I ever got to 5k without having to give up because of the pain/worries about stress fractures. It sucks doing it slowly, but you will get stronger eventually and be able to keep going without pain.

You can also do exercises to make your shins stronger: http://forums.runnersworld.com/forums/index.jsp?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat:Runner+CommunitiesForum:608106477Discussion:9061025515&plckFindPostKey=Cat:Runner%20CommunitiesForum:608106477Discussion:9061025515Post:9061025515

Oh, also, good that you're in good shape (you're in better running shape than I was when I started!) but some of the best advice I got was to remember that your aerobic fitness is NOT the same as your actual running muscle fitness, which will develop much more slowly, so don't try to push your muscles to keep up with your more rapidly increasing aerobic fitness.
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it! Some days will be harder than others but as others have already said, it's mostly mental!
  • mrsgstone
    mrsgstone Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Sign up for a 5k for around the time you're supposed to finish... it's great motivation! I'm running my 1st 5k next weekend and am currently on Week 8 of the program... you can do it! There's some great music from:

http://runningintoshape.com/5k-training-downloads/
    http://www.kissmyblackass.org/podcasts/couch-to-5k/

Both of these also have great motivators. Good luck!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

Thanks for this link - I wasn't familiar with this one, and I've been getting a little tired of the ones I'm using (I have to repeat weeks, so using the same podcast over and over gets dull)
  • Brian_VA
    Brian_VA Posts: 125
    Options
    The most important think I learned was to land on the midfoot and not the heel. Here is a good video that explains the basics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8Fl9t3FVis

Someone else mentioned good shoes. I agree. Consider the minimalist styles too as you look at the options. I started with VFFs and now run on Merrell Trail Gloves. These types of shoes changed running from misery to enjoyable for me.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    You can already run 2 min? You got this.

Run slow. I mean its not a race, its building endurance, speed can come in week 10.

shoes, not right now, but you will need them. get fitted.

don't worry about repeating a week. (week 5 and 6 suck)
  • gdilliha
    Options
    I used to have bad shin pain during walking/running. Here are two things that gave me complete relief: First, make sure to stretch and warm up your ankles, shins, and calves before exercise. You can do this sitting in a recliner with your legs horizontal to floor. As best you can, rotate your feet in a circular motion, pulling your toes toward your knee for half the circle and pushing your toes as far away from your body for the other half of the circle. Do this for about 30 seconds clockwise and 30 seconds counterclockwise and you should be good to go. Second, to help minimize cramps, make sure to stay well hydrated and replenish electrolytes you lose from sweating. On another note, since you can run 2 minutes already, you are going to do great with the couch to 5K. Don't try to figure out the logic behind the varying mixes of walk/run times in each week's program, just trust and follow the instructions for each session. Don't go too fast and don't be aftraid to repeat a week if necessary. As long as you stick to your MFP target calorie intake and stay consistent with walking/running program, you will absolutely lose as much weight as you want to lose.
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    You can do it!!! I'm about to start week 5 tomorrow and I'm loving it! Just when you think you can't run one more second, you surprise yourself and do it!! The best advice I've been given so far about C25K is that if you physically can't move on to the next level, go back and do the previous level over again, and don't feel bad about it. Go at your own pace. But trust me, if you don't think you can, try doing it anyway. You will definitely surprise yourself by what you are capable of!!
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    The most important think I learned was to land on the midfoot and not the heel. Here is a good video that explains the basics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8Fl9t3FVis

Someone else mentioned good shoes. I agree. Consider the minimalist styles too as you look at the options. I started with VFFs and now run on Merrell Trail Gloves. These types of shoes changed running from misery to enjoyable for me.
    I disagree. I don't think transitioning to minimalist-style shoes is good advice for someone over 300 lbs.

To the OP, I started running right around 300 lbs too & got a gait analysis at a running store for my first pair, which needed to be the high stability variety to support my body. You said you have good shoes, but that doesn't mean they're the right ones for your gait.

I also wouldn't recommend running through the pain. Shin pain is often caused by stride errors, I saw someone else mention the midfoot strike. If you're landing on the balls of your feet you'll be less likely to get shin splints.

The ankle pain is possibly because your ankle strength wasn't built up enough before you started running. Not sure if you do any strength training, but if not you might want to work that in. When I was starting out I sprained a knee doing too much too soon, but I did continue with the program on the elliptical without aggravating the injury. You're still building endurance by following the prescribed intervals doing a different activity like elliptical or bike & it will give your joints a break.

Keep up the great work, I was exactly where you are not that long ago & I just completed my first half marathon last month. Happy running!
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Whenever it feels hard, even in week six when you run for twenty minutes straight. Slow down! Do a "shuffle run" whenever you think of it. Slow and steady wins the race. I like to start from scratch, run a five km or a ten km then start over again a few months later. Each time I get more confident and I love running more and more with each program. You are so lucky to be discovering the joy if running. My advice is go slow or slower than slow and enjoy the great outdoors:)
  • StephG1130
    StephG1130 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say thank you for all of the advice and support! I have never gotten this much feedback or support from anyone before. Every bit of it is greatly appreciated! And thank you for all of the great websites, too! You guys are amazing!