Can 4 days do this much damage?

Options
So, my normal weigh in day is Saturday and while I expected there to be a gain because of the different eating patterns of Thanksgiving I was surprised to see the scale up 5 pounds. Normally, I would have let that ruin my day but, nope, knowing it isn't true "weight gain" I decided to just accept that it was a relapse during Thanksgiving and things would balance out. Then, this morning, the scale was staring at me and I decided to weigh just to see the fluctuation back down (at least some movement) but, nope, I found another 2 pounds. So, up 7 pounds in one week.

I know it isn't a real 7 but, I could feel it in my clothes today and you can't help but play mind games with my eating and progress :(

UGH - hate taking steps back when I felt like I was slowly but, certainly making some progress.

Replies

• lynnacuff
    Options
    i am in the same spot you are about 5 pounds up...very demotivating..:(:frown:
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    It takes an excess of 3500 calories ABOVE your maintenance level to gain 1 pound. Did you exceed your allotment by 14,000 calories?

If not, you may be looking at a lot of water weight.
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Salt salt salt.

Drink tons of water this week and clean a good portion of that "weight" out. Watch the salt.
  • bchthrpy
    bchthrpy Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    It's the sodium....I had the same issue. Watch your sodium intake, drink lots of water.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Water water water!!!
  • _CowgirlUp_
    _CowgirlUp_ Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    This caught my eye because I'm up 8 lbs. this weekend!!! Like you, I weighed on Friday and then again yesterday just to see it climbing higher...YIKES!! I know it's not legitimate FAT gain so I'm not too worried and definitely will be watching what I eat over the next few days and drinking at least a gallon of water each day until I see it go back down. I'm even considering some Diurex or some such thing...extra coffee (caffeine) maybe since it's a diuretic. Good luck to you! No worries.
  • juliaamilee
    juliaamilee Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    same here I am feeling the post thanksgiving bloated feeling as well. 5 days off of routine and eating whatever/whenever has taken its toll. I am not weighing. But tomorrow back to the grind eating healthy and WATER
  • notenoughspeed
    notenoughspeed Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I stepped on the scale today after a run, and no food at noon. Weighted 296.8. That night at the very end, after dinner and any late night snacks, I weighed 301.4. I only ate 1300 calories. I have seen my weight fluctuate up 7 then down 11 in a week. Normal stuff.
  • bachoat
    Options
    I gained 4 lbs :sad: I wish I had an excuse but I ate and ate and ate and ate
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    It takes an excess of 3500 calories ABOVE your maintenance level to gain 1 pound. Did you exceed your allotment by 14,000 calories?

If not, you may be looking at a lot of water weight.

Women lie. Men lie. Numbers dont lie.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I've been there. My motto is if I lost it once, I can lose it again.

Some of it may still come off and could just be what you were eating. Like, if other people were cooking, maybe someone put a lot of salt in so you retained more water.

It can go back on very quickly but I'd say with 7lbs, some of it is probably just a result of water or something like that.

The most I've gained back is 6lbs in a week and I don't really have a holiday to blame it on. I didn't really do anything differently, it just happened. It was very frustrating to see but I just kept plugging along and its gone again
  • katesand10
    katesand10 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am also up 4 lbs...no worries...drink that water!
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Everyone needs to stop whining, increase your water intake, get back on track and you will be back to normal in a couple days. Sheeze! I went on vacation a couple weeks ago, was up 7 lbs, but once I got back on track was back to normal in two days.
  • tz2187
    tz2187 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I'm also up 7lbs! ugh
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I stepped on the scale today after a run, and no food at noon. Weighted 296.8. That night at the very end, after dinner and any late night snacks, I weighed 301.4. I only ate 1300 calories. I have seen my weight fluctuate up 7 then down 11 in a week. Normal stuff.

Weight of food =/= the same as calories...
  • willwillywilson
    Options
    So, my normal weigh in day is Saturday and while I expected there to be a gain because of the different eating patterns of Thanksgiving I was surprised to see the scale up 5 pounds. Normally, I would have let that ruin my day but, nope, knowing it isn't true "weight gain" I decided to just accept that it was a relapse during Thanksgiving and things would balance out. Then, this morning, the scale was staring at me and I decided to weigh just to see the fluctuation back down (at least some movement) but, nope, I found another 2 pounds. So, up 7 pounds in one week.

I know it isn't a real 7 but, I could feel it in my clothes today and you can't help but play mind games with my eating and progress :(

UGH - hate taking steps back when I felt like I was slowly but, certainly making some progress.

There are some days I have gone up 4lbs out of no where (though 1-2 seems more typical). Then a few days later those pounds are gone. In situations like that it has to be mostly water weight (if not all). I've heard this effect can be even worse for women but maybe some of the ladies have more experience with that and can say for sure.
  • JJBurton825
    Options
    That happened to me a couple of weeks ago! It was VERY discouraging, but I KNEW I had been paying close attention to my calorie intake. There's a LOT of sodium in Thanksgiving. Drink LOTS of water and you'll see your scale go back down in a couple of days. Divide your weight in half and drink that number in ounces, and remember: 2 cups of water for every 1 cup of caffeinated beverage. Good luck!
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I'm with you!! I was up 3 lbs on Friday from Thanksgiving, then I gained another 2 over the weekend due to eating out. Granted, the most I hit in one day was 3,000 calories, all 5 lbs were still there this morning!!! lol I'm hoping it's mostly water weight and will be gone by the end of the week. VERY demotivating, indeed, but hang in there and get back on the wagon!!! I started fresh yesterday morning, got back into my exercise and eating right, and I'll continue on my merry way! :)
  • tubbyelmo
    tubbyelmo Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Salt salt salt.

Drink tons of water this week and clean a good portion of that "weight" out. Watch the salt.

^^^ Just this, you'll see the pounds melt away as quickly as they came!
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Its the bad diet mostly. Some say salt- I agree but raise you some processed crap. Store bought pie crust, sweet mixed drinks, rolls from the deli counter, and anything else that wasnt home made with fresh ingredients.

After just a few weeks of eating well, the first thing I lost was all the bloat and that over full filling after each meal. You all remember what the beginning was like, right? Well, one holiday is all it took to bring you right back there- not weight wise- bloat wise.

Most bloat is just that- bloat- and so your clothes tighten up for a few days. Time to get strict again. Log your meals, plan them, cut out some fats or carbs if thats your thing- but get clean and stay accountable this week and as much of this month as you can. Yea, I know xmas is coming- but thats also just one day or a few at best for most of us- its not this week or even the whole month.

I put in my own head there will be no scale loss til way after the new year- and my goal thru 12/31 is to maintain only. If I lose a lb or 2- bravo- but I doubt its going to happen. If I gain 5 - I will not hate myself- I will up my workouts and get serious with tracking.

Today is a little harder than expected- I feel like its kind of like starting over- but its what I want to do!

You can too- chose well today for starters. Stay accountable to yourself. Tell yourself you will go to bed proud of yourself for what you did today- not mad at yourself. Do well and sleep well - good luck!