Any nurses out there?

Options

Replies

• jcarnegie1969
    Options
    Wow, I can't believe how many nurses/nursing students there are out there. Thanks for all your replies. I think as nurses we have unique challenges and I hope that we can get ideas from each other.

I currently work as a home health nurse, so I am on the road or sitting in the car for much of my day. This can be quite a challenge when it comes to eating. I have to pack lunch if I want to eat healthy and cheap. And I am limited by things that don't have to be heated up. Sometimes I can get in the office where they have a microwave, so I try to get by there. But I have a long drive home and it can get boring. In the past I have used food to help pass the time and to keep me awake.

I am also starting my own business, so I am very stressed out right now. I am trying to balance everything; which is rough. But I think I am stronger than I give myself credit for!
  • Txnurse97
    Txnurse97 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Med/surg nurse for 15 years here! My weight gain coincided with getting married, but nursing didn't help! But I'm healthier now than I've been in many, many years and still working towards where I want to be. Feel free to add me!
  • BubsyMom
    Options
    I have been a nurse since the late 80's and currently work as a clinical coordinator at a PA Program. I am going back to school in January for my Master degree in Health Service Administration. Feel free to add me if you would like. Best of luck to everyone!!
  • c2111
    c2111 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Another PACU nurse here :) I changed from full time to part time and thats helped me lose weight, and my children are happier. I now only eat 3 chocolates when a box comes in lol thats my golden rule xx
  • neon7girl
    neon7girl Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I'm an old nurse as well, almost 30 years..or 31.. I've lost count. Out of clinical, but in the corporate world and sitting on your backside in a cube is not conducive to thin. I've got over 50 to lose and will do it before I am 49. I was an LPN and went back for my RN, passing NCLEX 2 years ago. I miss clinical! Feel free to add me as well. :wink:
  • Torgrills
    Torgrills Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I've been in nursing for nearly 7 years now and have finally found my calling as a hospice case manager. I LOVE my job!!!!
  • juliaamilee
    juliaamilee Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Public health nurse here too! Lost 50 about 40 more to go! If only I could stay with it!
  • brandi_69
    brandi_69 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    hello...nothing but nursing here....i started out in a nursing home at the age of 16 as a CNA....28 now (how did that happen...:/). i've been through LPN school (grad in 05) then went back to RN (grad in 11)...made the move to the hospital after i got my RN....i currently work ICU Stepdown/Telemetry unit....i've been on MFP since August and im down 30 lbs...been working out and bought a fitbit.....:wink: u can add me if u want to :smile:
  • cheseblock101
    Options
    Wow there are a lot of nurses on here ... I'm not a nurse yet I'm just getting started , I apply to the program next semester
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Been a RN for 13 years, 12 of it in hospital envirnment. Just made the move to long teath care and so far I love it. Weight bounces around like a rubber ball. But this site is great. Add me
  • ludeo
    ludeo Posts: 75
    Options
    Im studying nursing atm,in australia doing div 2,add me if you like
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I'm an RN! :) I work full time med/surg and part time nursing home. Add me if you like! I've been here about four months and I've lost 35 pounds.
  • ejoy319
    ejoy319 Posts: 104
    Options
    It's nice to see all the nurses!! I'm an ER nurse for 11 years... the first 10 on night shift. The back and forth of trying to stay up all night and then fall back in to a daytime schedule for my family did a number on my body and health. Finally on a day shift and a consistant schedule and starting to lose and feeling good.

To the OP... I'm sure the reason you were drawn to nursing is your personality to take care of others and put others first BUT just like you I am learning that it is OK to take care of yourself too and put yourself first sometimes :)
  • Cjoseph03
    Cjoseph03 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have been a nurse for the past 2 years on PCU and moving to ER next week (moving from working 1 hour away to 12 minutes away!). Excited and scared at the same time. Feel free to add me! I have plenty to lose!
  • wildechild74
    wildechild74 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    seasoned RN here!! feel free to add me. your statement of putting everyone ahead of yourself is so true of many nurses. welcome and enjoy the ride.
  • jcarnegie1969
    Options
    thanks for all the responses. It feels good to be able to share. I am looking forward to this!
  • MorganStar123
    Options
    I am an RN working in labour and delivery, just graduated this year. I do days and nights, but I really packed on the pounds in nursing school, I've got about 25 to lose, and a lot of muscle to gain, feel free to add me :)
  • Froody2
    Froody2 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Been an RN (Australian) for 13 years, with 12 of those years spent in ICU. Couldn't do any other job!
  • dadcedman
    dadcedman Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am a Practice Nurse, and have been nursing for 25 years.One of the things I currently do is health assessments for 45-49 y olds. Finding myself giving nutrition advice when I am classed as morbidly obese was not only hypocritical, also uninspiring, so I have joined a local gym and am recording everything I eat. It is great to see so many nurses on here.
  • Tsrwalker
    Tsrwalker Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I am a pharmacy technician finishing classes at a community college trying to get into the nursing program. I knew I was meant to be a nurse when I took care of my mom for 3 months before she passed this may from cancer, I only have the second course of anatomy left. I would love to have as many nursing friends on here as possible to help with there journey and mine, feel free to add me.