5k Training Plan - Need Advice From Runners!

Options
I want to run a 5k race; it's my main fitness goal at the moment.

I started C25k about 6 or 7 weeks ago, injured myself (bad shoes), got new shoes that were awesome, and decided to see just how long I could run on a treadmill wearing them. Found out I could already run at a slow pace for 20 minutes. So I skipped C25k and have been running twice a week at the gym on cardio days.

I've looked around the internet at various training programs but can't really determine which might be good to try to get me ready.

Currently I am up to 30 minutes of continuous running. I've been doing this twice a week for about a month or so. Up until now, my main focus was to increase distance and slowly build up the speed. For each run, I was running about 5 minutes at a slow pace (up to 5.5 mph), then a faster pace for 1-2 minutes (6.2 - 7 mph) and repeat.

I do cardio 3 days a week and strength train the alternate days, 1 rest day on Saturday. The other cardio day I've been using the elliptical.

I was recently introduced to HIIT here on the forums and tried it the day before Thanksgiving. It made me cry for my mama for about the next 24 hours, but I can't wait to do it again. I also thought it might be a good idea to actually go the full 5k distance, even if I have to walk part of it. So I did that on Friday, finishing the 3.1 miles in 36:26 (on the treadmill). I had to walk from minute 30 - minute 33.

This was my thought for training: Run the full distance with walking as needed one day a week. One day of HIIT. One day of my old method (see above). And continue the 3 days a week of strength training.

What do the experienced runners think about my plan? Or, can you recommend a good one for me to try?

If it matters, I am 33 years old, female, 5',6", and currently 187 pounds.

Thanks!

Replies

• tigtigs
    Options
    Great job on getting into running!! I love it!! My only advice would be to definitely get outside and get some runs in. Real world and treadmill are vastly different. Just keep running...speed and distance always improve with consistency!! Good luck!!
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I just started running, so take my opinion for what it's worth...seems like if it's working and building your endurance then go with it. My only advice is if you're doing all your training on a treadmill, try to get outside or on a track at least once a week. I've heard more experienced runners say that training on the treadmill exclusively won't prepare you for running a 5k outside. Good luck and have fun!!
  • dustinjohnson1331
    Options
    For a 5k this sounds fine, I think you're ready to run as many of them as you want at this point. There's nothing wrong with walking a bit in a race, eventually you'll just "grow out of" needing those rest periods. If you want to build up to something a bit more, like a 10k, half marathon, marathon, or more, then you'd obviously need more regular pace, longer distance, running days. But for a 5k, your training is plenty to maintain/improve.

For what it's worth, I ran exclusively on the treadmill up to 4 miles then switched to running outside, and it wasn't any harder (it even seemed easier). So I wouldn't stress over whether to use a treadmill or be outside until you're looking to do more than a 5k. That being said, after leaving the treadmill I've never gone back, it's just too boring for me now.

Experience: Regular runner, completed 5ks, 10ks, half marathons, relays, and training for a marathon
  • kairisika
    kairisika Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    If you're planning to run three days per week, and want a good general idea, do a long run day, a speed day, and a power day.
    that is, run your long run (up to you whether you want to alternate walking breaks, or just run it. Sounds like you can basically run 5k now, or just about there.).
    then do a day with a shorter distance, and try to run it at a higher pace (maybe start at a fast 2.5 km for now?)
    then do a day of intervals including both sprints and uphills.

If you really care more about distance, you could try the long day being 6km or so, (longer than you can currently run straight), with walks,
    a day of running the 5km, and trying to slowly up the pace,
    and a day of drills and intervals.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Great! Sounds like maybe I'm on the right track. I DO need to get outside, I've been thinking about how to do that since I workout at night, and don't have a great place to run alone at night. I may just change the days I do things and run outside on Sundays, at least.

Thanks for the replies!
  • robooth101
    robooth101 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Do one more day of running the 5k distance at whatever speed you need to be able to go the whole distance. If that means you have to drop the elliptical day, then do so.

Then work on that 5 minutes slow / 2 minutes fast until you can get it to 5 minutes fast / 2 minutes slow. I think that would be enough to get you where you want to be.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    it's a 5k. you can already run straight for 20-30 minutes, so you are good to go.

you should be running three to four times a week. one should be a long run, where you go a little longer every week. another one should be a HIIT run, or hills. the third run should be a shorter, but faster run, about 2-3 miles. the last (optional) work out can be a skills work out where you do short 50-100 yard sprints, some skills work (think like a football practice) and just work on things like box jumps, squats, jumping split squats, etc.
  • weloveourboys
    weloveourboys Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I think your plan is sound. One day of 5k, one day of hiit, and one day of 30 minutes easy running. If you're up for it, you can add one more day where your effort is in between hiit and your easy 30 min run, eg, 10 min slow jog to warm up, then 5 minutes of 7 out of 10 effort run (assuming your hiit is at 9-9.5 out of 10 effort) walk or slow jog for 3 minutes, repeat one more time, then a 5 min cool down.
  • NCchar130
    Options
    Do one more day of running the 5k distance at whatever speed you need to be able to go the whole distance. If that means you have to drop the elliptical day, then do so.

Then work on that 5 minutes slow / 2 minutes fast until you can get it to 5 minutes fast / 2 minutes slow. I think that would be enough to get you where you want to be.

Yeah, I was thinking I would drop the elliptical day entirely to focus on running. There's a race in my city I'm looking at in March; I just haven't registered for it yet. This advice makes a lot of sense to me, I will work on that.
  • NCchar130
    Options
    Lots of great ideas here, thanks everyone. :flowerforyou:
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    You don't need to make running complicated. Just keep running consistently. You don't need any special training schedule or anything if you aren't trying to be competative with it.
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to ditto all the people who said to start running outside - I did most of my running in the beginning on a treadmill and only ran outside a few times before my first race and ended up finding it SO much harder than treadmill running. Now I love running outside and dread being forced back in because of the weather. Other than that, it sounds like a solid plan to me and that you're well on your way!
  • cwelch2677
    cwelch2677 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    If you can only run on the treadmill try setting the incline on 2 or 3 to compensate for not being outside. I usually do half a mile flat and a little faster than normal and half a mile on 2 at my regular speed when I can't get outside.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I would recommend the book "Running: Getting Started" by Jeff Galloway. I would google "running form", too. It has really helped, from a bio-mechanical perspective. Since I am overweight, it is very easy to get hurt and running with better form seems to be helping.

Good luck!
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I recommend Hal Higdon's plans: http://www.halhigdon.com/training/50932/5K-Training-The-Most-Popular-Racing-Distance

I used him to complete my first half marathon (1:49:10). My current 5K PR is 21:45. PM me if you have any questions!
  • NCchar130
    Options
    You don't need to make running complicated. Just keep running consistently. You don't need any special training schedule or anything if you aren't trying to be competative with it.

Well, I'm not trying to be too competitive, that is true, I just want to run as fast as I'm capable at my first race and it's important to me not to walk during the race. I know there's no shame in walking, it's just important to me not to. So I should have clarified that I'm particularly interested in building both speed and endurance.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options

Well, I'm not trying to be too competitive, that is true, I just want to run as fast as I'm capable at my first race and it's important to me not to walk during the race. I know there's no shame in walking, it's just important to me not to. So I should have clarified that I'm particularly interested in building both speed and endurance.

Oh... in that case... there's a ton of resources out there. If you're just getting into running, you should pick up a copy Runner's World every now and then. Also, read Born to Run if you want to fall in love with distance running. And yeah, get outside and on some trails. Running on a treadmill vs. running on a trail is like rubbing one off vs. good sex. All untility and no joy.