leaving out the whey

Options
jkleeh
jkleeh Posts: 108 Member
Morning all! I have a question, I want to start making myself shakes for breakfast in the morning but I have three kiddos so I am sure if they see mommy having a shake they will want some as well. There was one recipe I am really drawn too because its everything I love, Bananas, PB, and Chocolate, but the chocolate is a whey powder, I don't think my kiddos really need that protein and I don't wanna hurt them lol so would it be ok to just forgo the whey or am I better off to make them a separate shake? I am new to protein powders so any help is appreciated!

Replies

• chljlleal
    chljlleal Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I feel like I am being very naive, is it going to hurt them to have a little more protein?

Especially as it will only be a treat rather than a meal for them, I would have thought it would be better than fizzy pop or chips.
  • greeneyedKat
    Options
    I would leave the protein powder in, if it was an all-natural one( most of them aren't),without artificial sweeteners, flavors, etc. I have been giving my son protein shakes since he was 14. He is 17 now. He plays sports and doesn't get enough protein in his diet.
  • greeneyedKat
    Options
    I just saw that your kids are young. I would just put the peanut butter in their shakes. That would give them a good amount of protein.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Just sub in a little unsweeted cocoa powder (or chocolate malt ovaltine for added vitamins and minerals) for the kiddos.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Put it in a mug not a glass and they won't know what you're drinking.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I don't know whether kids should or shouldn't be having protein powder, but it's definitely good for you. You could make two batches and put cocoa powder in theirs instead.
  • laynunugawa
    laynunugawa Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I buy Ensure vanilla or the kirkland Costco brand equivalent and blend it with frozen fruit. It is extremely tasty and has all sorts of nutrients that you and the kids can enjoy. There is 24 vitamins and minerals, protein, and omega 3s. the shake is also gluten free, (costco complete shake)
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I give my kids protein powder. They are not the best eat meaters on a regular basis. Also they take their lunch to school and I am always making granola bars or whatever I can sneak protein powder into since the meat they do like isn't going to work in their lunch. They would want it warmed up. ( I know, they sound high-maintenance but they eat fairly healthy since I don't give them much processed meats and foods, its what they are accustomed to.)

Otherwise just use cocoa powder and add sweetener to taste.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    If you are only giving them a small amount it shouldn't hurt tem. If you make a shake for yourself just give them a bit of it so they have a taste.

Or, if you don't want the kids to know what you are drinking put it in a mug as another poster suggested or put it in a non-seethrough water bottle.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I'm not familiar with children's use of supplements, however, every single tub I've ever bought says not for use for children under the age of 16 on it.

I'd love to know what a 'natural protein powder' is though.

ETA: on the one hand, I don't give my kids alcohol or coffee because they've seen me drink it, but they do have their own milk flavouring in the cupboard. They certainly don't have it everyday though.
  • jkleeh
    jkleeh Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everyone! I like the idea of subbing in the milk powder for them, and then just using the whey for myself. I appreciate that help!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you definitely don't want to give little kids whey protein. They'll start to bulk up and then when you tell them to clean their room they'll be too strong and they'll just kick your *kitten*.