Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

My misconception about running...

I started c25k in August, and ran my first 5k in October. This Thanksgiving, I ran a 5 mile race in 53:47. Yesterday, I ran 10 miles in just under 2 hours, the most I have ever run at once.

The thing is, I am still overweight. OBESE, actually.
I always thought that if I was fit enough to run 10 miles, or even 5, that I would no longer be obese.

*sigh*

I was wrong.

Make no mistake, I am proud of my accomplishment, but I sure wish losing this weight were easier.
IT'S ALL ABOUT THE FOOD, People!

Replies

• newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    It is all about the food - so true.

Now that we know that- imagine what we can do! Shoot- you're running 10 miles now and YOU know stuff ;)

It gets even better than this- imagine that?! I would be excited about whats next if I was you. Ive been running a while now and 10 miles still seems daunting.

Great work so far!
  • LauriePar
    LauriePar Posts: 249 Member
    However-- reaching your fitness goals are half the battle and your heart :drinker: thanks you!
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    how awesome of you!
  • GdeVries
    GdeVries Posts: 232 Member
    Very amazing accomplishment. And even though the scale may not have the right numbers, you have to be more muscle than fat. Which is better, way better.

I started C25K in september and just ran 3.5km in 25 minutes. Slow, I know, but will keep at it and speed things up.

So now to get busy (again) with the food. I slide back down the greasy slope to 'bad food'. Trying to eat cleaner each day. Somewhere, somehow this will pay off! :)

Good luck to you!
  • reederx5
    reederx5 Posts: 76 Member
    How long did it take you to run a mile? I am trying to learn to run but find myself gasping for air. Maybe I am pounding the pavement to hard. I watched my sister run and she kinda glides??..?? Looks effortless. I want to run so bad. I did finally run a mile on the treadmill but it took me 15 minutes and I have only been able to do it two times. It's way to cold to try and start running outside right now where I live. I did that one evening and coughed and choked for about 30 minutes. My chest felt raw. Keep up the good work!!!! So happy for you.
  • reederx5: It took a while. I started walking in July, at least 2 miles a day for at least 3 days a week. Then in August I just started jogging as far as I could (not very far) then walking, then jogging, then walking... It took me until sometime in late August to run a mile. By the end of September I could run about 3. I also gasped for air at first. I would choke and gasp and was totally unable to speak after jogging for a bit.
    NOW - I can almost carry on a conversation while jogging. I no longer gasp, I feel like I can catch my breath while I am out there doing it.
    I worked very hard for the last 3 months. 4-5 days a week, at least 15 miles a week, most weeks I did more than that.

I am so happy I am able to do this, but the food - UGH - I am struggling.

:)
  • tejasmh87
    tejasmh87 Posts: 91 Member
    Think of it this way.

You are showing others that even an "obese" person can run a 5K. Think of all the people saying "Nah I can't do that. Look at me." and You are showing them they can accomplish it as well!

I am at 285lbs on a 5ft 11in frame and I am labeled Morbidly Obese. I hit my 3.1 run 2 weeks ago and have my first 5K in 2 weeks :)

What I have noticed is the scale moves...very...small...and...it...drives...me...nuts.
    BUT- my tape measure shows me that since I started MFP I have lost 15 inches off my body and added on lean muscle. Yet, only lost 8lbs after 5+ months.

So get out your tape measure and see what yours says :) Losing body fat is the most important, imho, and boy does running help do that!

*HUGS*
  • sahm23ladies
    sahm23ladies Posts: 91 Member
    You might be doing too much too fast. Check out the couch to 5k programs out there. If you have a smartphone you can download an app to help you achieve your running goals. I use rundouble c25k. I'm on week 7. You can run time intervals or distance intervals. Good luck!

I meant this for reederx5... I didn't click the quote button! lol