ok seriously how the do i get to 100% iron intake?

Replies

• ElliInJapan
    ElliInJapan Posts: 286 Member
    I have had iron deficiency in past and I try to increase my iron intake, but it's soo hard. Just a couple days ago I was looking up iron rich foods and I found two fantastic sources I had no idea about:

1) Clams! Just 10 clams provide 150% of the RDV! Mussels and oysters are also very good iron sources, but clams are for some reason richer. I think I'll start cooking spaghetti alle vongole more often!

2) Dried spices, like thyme, rosemary, oregano, marjoram. 1 tsp of thyme provides 7% of the RDV! I use such spices a lot but I didn't know they are good sources of iron. I now sometimes track them in my diary just to to see the iron intake rise a bit! :)

Iron absorption is another issue of course, but at least it's nice to improve the daily intake!
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    You could do the dirty with Iron Man. Nuff said.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Invest in cast iron pans. When you cook in them, the iron leeches into the food, so you get some that way. I eat a little Green & Black's 85% cocoa dark chocolate nearly every day. Six pieces of a bar are 20% of recommended iron.

But I do take a supplement because I'm vegetarian and I don't get anywhere close due to not eating red meat or anything like that. My levels have been fine in my last couple physicals, so I wouldn't worry too much if you aren't having symptoms of low iron.
  • Robinvan38
    Robinvan38 Posts: 17 Member
    Chocolate that is 72% and better can have 10-15%, edamame and whole grains have huge amounts. OR better yet-eat Trader joes dark chocolate edamame with 15% iron and 7 grams protein per delicious 1/4 serving. You can also hide chopped spinach and kale in many foods like salads to spaghetti sauces
  • eatrainsmile
    eatrainsmile Posts: 220 Member
    Beans, lentils and nuts
    Green vegetables
    Dried fruit
    Iron supplement
  • Sick_Beard
    Sick_Beard Posts: 407 Member
    I would be careful when it comes to supplementing any kind of fat soluble vitamins. However if you are anaemic then you should also supplement with Vitamin C to aid in the absorption.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    When I had the same problem, it was recommended to me to start eating a tablespoon of blackstrap molasses. 1 tbsp has 3.6mg iron.

You can also check out this list for my ideas:
    http://www.healthlinkbc.ca/healthfiles/hfile68d.stm
  • LarStar
    LarStar Posts: 102 Member
    I was a vegetarian for 12 years and had an iron deficiency because of it, despite eating rally well and making good choices. I started supplementing with Proferrin, an awesome iron tablet that doesn't called cramping or constipation, like all the other iron supplements. It is uncommon that you will get it all ina day, so supplements are a great way to correct that :)
  • LarStar
    LarStar Posts: 102 Member
    and by "called, I meant cause
  • Nails for breakfast
  • Shua89
    Shua89 Posts: 144 Member
    Unless you're anemic you get pretty much all you need if you eat a protein rich diet. If you feel like you need more Cream of Wheat has 50% of your daily iron needs. Lots of cancer patients live on Cream of Wheat to keep their energy levels up because the chemo leaches the iron from your system.

I am anemic so I have to take an iron supplement. There are a lot of them on the market and most are time released so this is a good alternative if you think you need more.
  • A really good Multi-Vitamin will get you to your goal the easiest way. Good luck.
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    strawberries. Spinach. broccoli. meat. And, I know this tends to gross a lot of americans out instantly, but I'll say it anyways: blood.

In Eastern Europe (and the former Soviet bloc) there's a fairly common "candy" bar called "hematogen" or "haematogen", main ingredient is an extract of cow's blood. At least, historically it's been cow's blood, I think I read somewhere that nowadays you can also get variations with no actual blood involved. Anyways, they're high on energy and iron. Often sold in apothecaries (no perscription) and often used as a substitute for chocolate when hiking (the good old "have a chocolate bar with you" line). It has the taste and consistency of toffee. Having tasted both, hematogen is tastier than a good protein bar. MUCH tastier than a bad protein bar.

In the German culinary influence (=North-Eastern Europe) there are lots of variations on blood sausages; and of course there's the British Black Pudding, which are usually pork-blood-based.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Everyone has mentioned some great iron rich foods, but I'll add one, clams. They're very high in iron so you only need a handful. (18+ mg per 3 oz.). Buy them canned and they're very reasonable.
  • notabrat1
    notabrat1 Posts: 60 Member
    You could do the dirty with Iron Man. Nuff said.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    strawberries. Spinach. broccoli. meat. And, I know this tends to gross a lot of americans out instantly, but I'll say it anyways: blood.

In Eastern Europe (and the former Soviet bloc) there's a fairly common "candy" bar called "hematogen" or "haematogen", main ingredient is an extract of cow's blood. At least, historically it's been cow's blood, I think I read somewhere that nowadays you can also get variations with no actual blood involved. Anyways, they're high on energy and iron. Often sold in apothecaries (no perscription) and often used as a substitute for chocolate when hiking (the good old "have a chocolate bar with you" line). It has the taste and consistency of toffee. Having tasted both, hematogen is tastier than a good protein bar. MUCH tastier than a bad protein bar.

In the German culinary influence (=North-Eastern Europe) there are lots of variations on blood sausages; and of course there's the British Black Pudding, which are usually pork-blood-based.

this doesn't apply to just grossing the Americans out. Eww.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    I second the Floradix liquid iron supplement suggestion, it also has lots of B vitamins. I used to get anemic/low B12 but since I take this in the mornings I no longer have any issues. It even tastes pretty good!
    Is this something that can be found at CVS type stores or do you need to get it at a health food/specialty store?
    Thanks for this thread! I'm tracking my iron and it seems low on here too.
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member

Lol, I know. I'm one of those people who believe that if I eat animals, I should eat as much of them as possible, so as not to simply discard the bits that are "icky". That's my way of respecting the life that was taken so that I can eat meat.

ETA: otherwise I remind myself too much of those poachers who only take the ivory tusks (=prime cuts of meat) and leave the rest of the carcass to rot. That's just wrong.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,089 Member

but she's right
    also medium rare steak or liver are good sources
  • I would definitely work on getting your iron up as it can cause you to be anemic if you are lacking in it. I take a supplement for it because I'd rather have to much (females almost never consistently have to much because of our monthly bleeding) then to little.