How do I break a destructive cycle?

Options
2»

Replies

• prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    If you're not lying on your diary, you are NOT overeating. You're fueling your body to help with the crazy amount of exercise you're doing.

In fact, I see many more days where you're UNDER your calorie goal than where you're over it.

I think you have to recognize that when you work out a ton, you have to eat!

You're already at a healthy weight. If you're still not happy with how you look, I think you need to reassess your goals. Looking fit requires muscle, building muscle requires strength training and CALORIES.

I think your mindset is probably much more in your way than your eating habits. Just my opinion.
  • samuelzmom
    samuelzmom Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Do a cleanse for a whole week or even just for a few days by not eating any bad carbs (sugar, processed food, heavy starches like potatoes, etc.). When I'm on the destructive cycle such as yours, I jump back on the South Beach Diet Phase 1 for at least a week (it's usually 2 weeks), and my cravings are gone, and I lose 2-3 lbs in that week. You can also do a detox too, but some of those ususally have liquid foods, and I rather eat my food than drink it.

I also read motivational quotes, stories, pictures, etc. to get me back on track. :)
  • Ta2dchic20
    Ta2dchic20 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I find writing something down, stating that I am going to do something, helps me hold myself accountable. Then plan. There's no easy way to get back on track, I'm doing it myself this week. Hang in there.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    You simply do it. You take responsibility and you do it.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    I did not read all the responses but as a diabetic I have learned from nutritionists that if your blood sugar is high you have a craving for more food even when full which causes a craving for more empty, quick burning carbs, and it will feed on itself. Try to get more protein when taking in carbs. add peanut butter to a banana or apples. I can also make a difference if it is a natural sugar, (orange), versus a snickers or something made with refined sugar.
  • KMartin_1977
    KMartin_1977 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I had a similar experience but overate my calories on sweet sugary treats, I then read up on the low GI diet and found that I was overeating on empty carbs which gave me spikes in my sugar levels and then dramatic plummeting which lead me to crave more carbs/sugary treats to give me the high.

I read up on low GI foods and they are easy to encorporate into your calorie controlled diet and stopped me craving between meals.

EG, I now have a couple of low GI crackers (Nairns) with 7.5g of peanut butter about 11.00am instead of a packet of crisps and this keeps all of my cravings (for carb and sweets) under control until lunch time, I then have a small handful of peanuts pm and this puts me on until dinner time. I fit this around my calorie intake and it works for me.

Hope you find this useful, good luck
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    looking at your food diary you are taking in as many carbs as I am allowed as a male in each meal most of the time. The high end for a female is 45 carbs per meal and 15-20 per snack. Maybe try counting carbs instead of calories. When I started counting carbs as a diabetic my calories went down as well.. good luck.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    Your calories are not that out of wack. I think that the problem lies more in the fact you are at a healthy weight and trying to lose more is going to be challenging. Judging from your pics you seem to be fit...I would quit focusing on the number on the scale and focus on how you feel and other non-scale forms of success.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You already look very slim. Your body seems to be demanding more calories than you are willing to eat.
    Why don't you take a break from trying to lose weight for a month? Eat at maintenance.

See how you feel regarding energy levels and health after a month. You might then want to reassess your goals.

Best of luck.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Eat the carbs and make it fit into your overall goals. If you just deny yourself the stuff you crave your destine to failure.

This.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    You simply do it. You take responsibility and you do it.

This, too.
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    I checked out a few days of your diary. It looks like, on an average day, many of your carbs are coming from fruit or whole grains (which I don't consider a bad thing). My suggestion would be to cut out the sweets like cookies, lattes, etc and see how that works.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    1. Increase your intake. It will help you stick to your goal better, plus your current goal is too low for your stats, especially because you are within a healthy weight range.
    2. Stop the compensatory behaviour. If you eat over your goal and then make up for it then it'll just become a cycle and cause you to eat over your goal again. It is also not a healthy way of thinking.
    3. Reconsider your goal weight and your reasoning behind it.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Do a cleanse for a whole week or even just for a few days by not eating any bad carbs (sugar, processed food, heavy starches like potatoes, etc.). When I'm on the destructive cycle such as yours, I jump back on the South Beach Diet Phase 1 for at least a week (it's usually 2 weeks), and my cravings are gone, and I lose 2-3 lbs in that week. You can also do a detox too, but some of those ususally have liquid foods, and I rather eat my food than drink it.

I also read motivational quotes, stories, pictures, etc. to get me back on track. :)

Ignore this - do NOT do a cleanse or a detox.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Just stop, don't make it gradual. Just stop overeating cold turkey!
  • SurfyFriend
    SurfyFriend Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your suggestions they are helpful and look at it from every aspect. I am going to cut out junk foods cold turkey and add a salad to one meal and fruit to one snack instead. For the next few days I expect lots of cravings but I'll keep reminding myself it is temporary and try to limit sugars. There seem to be so many aspects of healthy living that I forget about some in the process of learning about others, such as the GI content of foods. I will also try to figure out how to up my protein to compensate for lower carbs.
    Thanks again <3