Have you had a personal trainer? If so, was it worth it?

Options
I recently joined a local gym because I feel that I'm more productive having a gym to workout at rather than trying to do it at home. Since I've joined, the personal trainers are trying to get me to sign up for sessions with them. Although I know I'm out of shape now (I used to work out religiously up until 2 years ago) I also wanted to give it a shot on my own and see if I can get back into a routine. They keep bringing up points like "how many people aren't working out properly" and "how many people waste time at the gym, not getting the results they want". This puts me to the question I'm now asking myself, should I spend the money on a trainer 1-2 times a week to get to know workout routines, etc for myself or is this something I can do just as well on my own?

Anyone that has had or is a personal trainer, I would greatly appreciate any input :)

Replies

• ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    It really is personal preference. I've had trainers for intro deals before, and haven't found them all that helpful(many times I've noticed they have their own agenda's and don't listen to what I really want), and I've through trial and error made my own workout routine that has shown results. I have joined a crossfit studio and the trainers there are wonderful. Many will say I'm sure their experiences were different than mine, but I think it is all about whether you think you can figure out a routine on your own that you'll stick to or do you need guidance.
  • boxynova
    boxynova Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi,

In my opinion a personal trainer is a great way to stay motivated and committed, you have to meet the trainer so you can't skip your workout. I've been going to the gym for a long time now (Since 1999) and I've had a personal trainer for a few sessions, it was good and all I needed to show me the proper technique when doing any free weights or machines. Cardio equipment is a no brainer get on and try your best to have a good workout. I do know people who have a trainer on a regular basis and they seem to like it because they get to the gym, put on their runners and let the trainer tell them, what to do, they basically take the thinking out of the workout. Yes they may be in better shape that other people because of the committment. I'd like to walk into a gym and have someone set up any machine or have a free weight program set up for me but it's expensive and I do not see the need to spend that kind of money on a continual basis. Get a trainer and get educated and then once your sessions are over (let's say 3-6) I would be doing my own thing and if I felt that I needed motivation sometime down the road I would consider a personal trainer again.

Also, I have great friends that I met at the gym and we all motivate each other and make our own workout plans.

Best of luck to you :)
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to look the best and be the strongest I can be in the least amount of time possible.

I find nothing that the trainers in my gym are doing (and the one I worked with) accomplish that better than a simple good ole weightlifting ("beginner" program) program focusing on compound lifts including squats, deadlifts, pulls and presses.

I do 3-5 different exercises every time I go to the gym (3-5 sets of each) with usually squat or deadlift, a pull and a press. That's it. No need to spend hours doing isolation exercises on thousand dollar machines or doing a lot of fancy cardio programs.
  • shonovo
    shonovo Posts: 104
    Options
    hi,

i have a trainer and i do feel it is worth it since many times it is hard to know if you are doing machine right or pushing yourself hard enough... I would try it once and see if it works for u :)
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    If they are being that pushy, I would never hire them.

I do want to get a trainer sometime next year though. Probably once both kids are in school.
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to look the best and be the strongest I can be in the least amount of time possible.

I find nothing that the trainers in my gym are doing (and the one I worked with) accomplish that better than a simple good ole weightlifting ("beginner" program) program focusing on compound lifts including squats, deadlifts, pulls and presses.

I do 3-5 different exercises every time I go to the gym (3-5 sets of each) with usually squat or deadlift, a pull and a press. That's it. No need to spend hours doing isolation exercises on thousand dollar machines or doing a lot of fancy cardio programs.

This! Look into the 5x5 Stronglift program. Google it. If you don't know how to do the exercises, youtube them, or ask someone at the gym to help you.
  • heidimaggott78
    Options
    I used one. I didn't find it worthwhile, I have had more success with the book New Rules Of Lifting for Women.
    This way I am learning things.
    With my PT there was no definite routine, so all I did was what he said, I never actually learned anything
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    The right personal trainer can make a world of difference.

The wrong one can sour you on it forever.

The pushy ones ignore.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    All the trainers I had a free intro session with weren't worth paying for. I do have a trainer now who is amazing and no matter how much it costs I do everything I can to make sure I can afford to go. If you find a high quality trainer it is worth it.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I've been working out with my trainer for a year now. I try to get to him 3-4 times a week. He's trains me at a small, no-frills, private gym that I call a MAN'S GYM.

I definitely couldn't have achieved these results on my own.

Good luck to you!
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    a trainer is worth it even if you only take a few sessions with them to get you on the right road to your goals. now if they are begging for you to sign up with them that means they are not really any good at what they do if they were you would notice them training their clients instead of them trying to get you to sign on.
  • LoveMyLife_NYC
    LoveMyLife_NYC Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Those guys just sound like they are trying to sell you something, so I wouldn't give them a dime or a second thought. Trainers are awesome if you connect well with one. Mine offers a routine, stability, and a good dose of reality when I get down on myself. He mixes up my routines so I don't get bored, and helps me to work out safely because I'm working through an injury. I've worked out on my own before, and while I saw results, I've never seen them come so quickly. Wouldn't trade my trainer for the world.
  • LeslieC1970
    Options
    My experience has been highly positive with a personal trainer. It's more than maintaining your commitment, it is about increasing your ability beyond what you would normally try on your own. A good trainer is more than worth the money.
  • markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    My trainers are Shawn T (Insanity & Aslyum) and GSP (Rushfit). They come to work in my garage M-F, sometimes twice per day.
    I doubt that I'd hire a personal trainer since I see them as an 'accountability' tool. That's it.

You pay the money, now you force yourself to show up. You've paid you money, so you follow the nutrition plan. I have a couple of guys on my FL that hassle me if it's looks like I'm slacking or not consistently getting my cals in. Just find the right friends on MFP.

The above is my opinion and it's worth exactly what you piad for it.
  • ohheyy125
    ohheyy125 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I think if your really interested and you feel like what your doing on your own isn't working, have a session or 2 and have them teach you what you need to know, then go back to doing it on your own.
  • ShiraDarling
    ShiraDarling Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I had a personal trainer for about 10 months or so. I was lucky though because he was the best in the city and offered his services to me for free!! Which i was so grateful for, as there was no way that I could afford him. Anyways, he pushed me super hard and I saw results right away. So ya, I would definitely recommend a personal trainer if you have the extra money. But not all personal trainers are good! So do some research beforehard.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I did a free session with a trainer but we had different ideas on what I should do. I was just starting Strong Lifts and wanted someone to make sure my form was good. The trainer told me I shouldn't lift because I'd get bulky. After I pointed out that I'm female and eating at a calorie deficit (and wouldn't bulk up), he had me do a P90x style workout. I figured I'd be better off on my own.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    While I have learned invaluable things from my trainers over the years, I would have to say you obsolete their presence very quickly. And that's the big problem with them. A lot of them try to set you up with contracts that last like a year when the fact of the matter is they outlive their usefulness after a month. They teach you things about the right way of working out that you need to know that you can't learn from a video. But once you've been taught that, they're no longer useful.
  • serapi
    serapi Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I used a personal trainer and I just bulked up b/c I didn't understand how to eat while building muscle. My trainer never advised me on what I should be eating. He just pushed me to lift very heavy weigths. My hips and knees also got really sore.

I'm 41 years old and don't need to lift heavy at my age. I currently have 18-19% body fat and I had to ditch the trainer and go on a diet, to reach my goal. I still want to lose more body fat and maintain my existing muscle for a more defined look.

I personally think PT's are a waste of time.
  • poemdiva
    poemdiva Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have a personal trainer and I agree with some of the other posts on here, it is truly about what you prefer. I used to work out religiously and then slacked for a couple years becoming totally out of shape (2 yrs ago). I found for myself the trainer was a great thing for me. It helped me get back to the gym and even though I knew the proper way to do the exercise, it was about kicking my butt into gear. Kyle (my personal trainer) push me beyond what I thought I couldn't do at the time. Two years later, I still see Kyle every week and I have definitely seen the results of working with him for so long.

Keep in mind, there are always classes you could take too if your gym offers them. I am not a class person and do better with one on one training.