eating before a workout

Options
what kind of recommendations do you all have for eating before a morning workout?

I had a very scary experience this morning. I forgot to eat beforehand and passed out about halfway through working out.

I don't want to eat a lot before hand as to not feel nauseas, but what do you all recommend?

Replies

• sblake204
    sblake204 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    PPL say you should do cardio first thing in the morn on an empty stomach, but i would recommend at least consuming an apple or banana. Maybe even a tablespoon of Natural Peanut Butter. Definitely have something right after you're finish though. See how that works for you
  • Akumu
    Akumu Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have to eat before I work out. I try to wait an hour after eating though. I have noticed when I don't eat and then workout I don't do as well (feel weaker, less stamina, etc.) so I always eat first.
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I either eat and then wait an hour, or eat something small. Even a handful of almonds can be enough to hold me over until after my workout.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    If I'm working out first thing in the morning, I don't eat anything, just drink water, but it sounds like maybe that's not an option for you if you passed out! :noway: What was your workout?

If I'm not working out right away, I will have half a banana or apple with a Tbs of peanut butter, or a slice of toast with peanut butter, or even just one of those Nature Valley Granola Thins. Also depends on whether it's a strength day or a run day, and how far I plan to run.
  • nikkicarter13
    nikkicarter13 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I like to drink a glass of milk before I workout in the morning. I have been doing this for years. It works for me :)
  • dmeyers1969
    dmeyers1969 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    glass of OJ and maybe a banana or small bowl of cereal before a work-out or I feel ill half way through it
  • bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Some say to go for carbs to give energy to your workout, and some say to do protein. I'm not sure if that varies for cardio vs. strength workouts, but I'd play around if I were you. Try doing a few slices of bread, add PB some days, some days just fruit, or oatmeal, or a protein bar, or whatever. Listen to your body.
  • chrishg
    chrishg Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have to exercise late in the evening most of the time, after kiddy is in bed. I find that, as long as I wait an hour after our evening meal it's good. In fact if I do go out at the weekend without eating I feel less fuelled and often end up taking on a banana or suchlike on the way round.
  • Run4UrHealth
    Run4UrHealth Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I usually have a slice of peanut butter toast before morning work-outs! :)
  • LuckyMe381
    LuckyMe381 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I usually have a slice of peanut butter toast before morning work-outs! :)

^^This^^
  • DeMarraDontStop
    DeMarraDontStop Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Banana, 1/2 of Peanut butter & jelly sandwich. I workout early morning but I need a little something to get me through!
  • mrsburghart
    mrsburghart Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I eat something protein-y about 2 hours before I work out , usually peanut butter. (give it time to digest, so my calories burnt don't go to that) and then right after I have something carb-y. Seems to help a lot with energy for the workout and the recovery time afterward. I like low-fat chocolate milk for that! It really helps, and is only 160 calories.
  • Ta2dchic20
    Ta2dchic20 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    A handful of trailmix and some water works for me!
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    steel cut oats
    greek yogurt
    banana
    1 hour before working out
  • bfitnbfab
    Options
    Generally speaking, you want to eat a small meal or snack about 1.5 hours before your workout. It should be mainly carbs (the most efficient energy source) with some protein. Post workout you want to reverse that and have a small meal or snack that is mainly protein with some carbs. I hear varying arguments for the timing, anywhere from as soon after as possible to within 30 minutes after workout or even as long as within 3 hours. Experiment a little with the intervals and see what works for you. Remember that no two people will react the same to eating and working out. Don't forget to hydrate as well! :)
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Before a morning run I always have a piece of toast with 1 tablespoon peanut butter and a banana. Works best for me.
  • stacylperry
    stacylperry Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    :sick: Yep I know exactly how you feel, and it's awful! I have to consume something before I workout or I'll get dizzy and want to faint!
    I've tried protein shakes:indifferent: that's ok I guess, I've tried smoothies:smile: that was a bit better, and I've tried carbs:ohwell: that was pretty good too, anything was better than nothing at all. Its very embarrasing to get dizzy and feel faint:embarassed: the trainers look at you like "you should know better", :grumble: and all we're trying to do is watch our intake ~
    good luck to you, I hope you find your comfort zone... I'm sticking with a small protein smoothie:flowerforyou:
  • achapman01
    achapman01 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I try to always eat something with protein about an hour before working out. Greek yogurt w/almonds, meat/veggies (about 1/3 of my lunch, for example). Just about everything has a few carbs in it, so I don't seek out starchy stuff like bread. I have low blood sugar issues, so I can relate to feeling dizzy if I have not eaten. Definitely follow up your workouts with something healthy your body can absorb, like a protein drink. If you continue to feel like you may pass out (scary!), may I suggest you get some testing done by your doctor? When I was finally diagnosed with hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), I was able to make adjustments to my eating, like frequency and grams of protein, that literally gave me back control over how I feel. GOOD LUCK! :smile:
  • cailinlowe
    cailinlowe Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    thanks for the tips guys! my problem is the fact that i dont have the time to wake up super early to eat and wait an hour to workout. i need to eat something and workout so i can shower and get to school. I'm going to try some toast with peanut butter and maybe some OJ tomorrow and see how that works out
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    what kind of recommendations do you all have for eating before a morning workout?

I had a very scary experience this morning. I forgot to eat beforehand and passed out about halfway through working out.

I don't want to eat a lot before hand as to not feel nauseas, but what do you all recommend?

I had a close call back in May.

I eat 2 scrambled eggs, 3 slices of soy bacon and either some cottage cheese or a greek yogurt 60-90 minutes before I work out. I have the energy I need--even for weights-- and have not had any nausea issues at all. I usually have to have a snack as soon as I get home since I burn like 400+ calories with my workout.