EAT GIRLS! EAT!!!!!!

Options

Replies

• uahorsegirl
    uahorsegirl Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Great post and responses. I was on WW for 1.5 years and plateaud after losing 20#. I started back with MFP in August and it had me at 1360 per day. I tried that and some days went over but didn't really lose anything. So I started reading and decided to up my calories to 1600. I've been there for almost two weeks and trying to eat healthy and not the processed (which I'd been doing). The calculations I've done say my BMR is about 1600 and my TDEE is about 1900 (i think, I don't have my paperwork with me). So I am trying this to get off the plateau. But i am thankful I haven't gained the 20# back. :-)
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I thought this was going to be about that cop who wanted to cook and eat a girl for Thanksgiving!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    EVERYBODY PANIC
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Tell it like it is! I hate looking on someones diary and seeing them eat half of what is recommended. Yea, the "1200 calorie" diet seems like the way to lose weight, but if you're below what your body needs to survive in just a coma, you're in starvation mode storing up more fat so that one day you do eat your calories, BOOM, fat. It's just making smart choices in the foods you choose to fill that calorie need!
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Either there's an awful lot of starving young girls on here or they are all lying on their food diaries...

EAT GIRLS!!!!!!!!! I'm twice your age, eat twice as much as you, and am smaller than some of you!! Stop the madness! Skinny is NOT where it's at, HEALTHY is! You're messing up your metabolisms and when you get to my age, you will not be able to maintain your weight!!

AGREED!! I went down that road about 12 years ago and the aftermath was not pretty! Which is why I'm doing it all over the right way at 33 years old.

Seems like a huge uptick in the number of little girls on here with their 600 cal/day diets asking for feedback then slapping it down when urged to "eat more" and also "get help already!" And I get that too, since I've been there and done that. Sigh. Guess some of us have to learn the hard way.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I had to delete a girl who ate no more than 500 cals a day and said she wants 0% BF --- uh really!?!?!? You can get that when you are DEAD!

I truly wish girls would not starve themselves.............
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Girls are yummy!!!
  • caseysexton5
    caseysexton5 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Ok so... I would LOVE to be able to eat 2,000 calories a day. I recently switched to the 1,200 calories a day plan and it's been super freaking miserable. If you look at my diary you'll see I was awesome for about 5 days, and since thanksgiving I've been on a binge. I feel like I'm a mentally stable and bright individual, but there is something I'm missing when it comes to this whole dieting thing. How are you able to eat that much and not gain? I know a lot of women that lift weights eat a lot more, but I'm a stay at home Mom and don't have time to live at the gym. Any advice????
  • Snikkee
    Snikkee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Either there's an awful lot of starving young girls on here or they are all lying on their food diaries...

EAT GIRLS!!!!!!!!! I'm twice your age, eat twice as much as you, and am smaller than some of you!! Stop the madness! Skinny is NOT where it's at, HEALTHY is! You're messing up your metabolisms and when you get to my age, you will not be able to maintain your weight!!

I agree to a certain extent... Losing weight is all about experimenting. When I started my journey to a better and healthier lifestyle I was eating upwards of 2200 calories a day and losing about 1-2 lbs a week. I also worked out 3 hours a day.

I fell off the wagon for a few months, gained all my weight back and then some ( fast food, and sugar )

When I recently got back on the "wagon" I went back to what I had been doing, but at 2200, or 2000 I was not losing weight while working out 3 plus hours a day. ( besides the gym, I work at home, private preschool and 4k, so besides cleaning, My job is not very "mobile." )

I started eating about 1700 a day and now I have been losing weight consistantly.

It is all about what your body needs and wants, sometimes more, sometimes less. Our bodies are hard things to figure out. The main thing is to listen to our body and know its needs, never under eat or over eat is such a vague statement, it is different for each individual person.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    "For results: Look at your body like a science experiment. Add a stimulus. Measure response. Adjust as needed. One variable at a time." -C.Ballantyne

Eat more, eat less, work out differently, work out more! Work out less. Eat more protein, eat more fiber, eat fewer carbs, lift weights, run, don't run, blah blah blah

Try it on yourself and take notes, see what works. One person's tracking of their calories could be way over/under than actual calorie intake. Two people have the same food yet log it differently due to estimations, measurements, portion sizes, etc.

So all you can possibly get on these forums are generalized advice, and there's no magic one-hit-kill bullet. You're going to have to try it yourself. And take notes. And adjust as needed.
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    Options
    EAT GIRLS! EAT!!!!!!
    lurker.jpg
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I thought this was going to be about that cop who wanted to cook and eat a girl for Thanksgiving!

What. What? Huh. Where was this?

On rest days I tend to stick to around 1250 calories a day. I know a lot.of people think that isnt enough, but if a medical professional tells me that number that knows my full medical history, than I tend to believe her over someone online threatening me with starvation mode. Workout days are more towards 1400 to 1650.

The reality is some people need to eat more and others less. Every body is different.

However if you are living off a strict diet of water and iceberg lettuce, which I have seen on here, than yeah. Ya needs to eat.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    EAT GIRLS! EAT!!!!!!
    lurker.jpg
    dies laughing. I think I'm scarred for life!
  • dawLs
    dawLs Posts: 84
    Options
    Please don't eat me!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    (I'm talking about NET calories in this post)

I find that if I have 1,200 a day, I do lose weight, but quite slowly. If I eat 1400ish, I lose weight consistently and more quickly. If I eat 1600, I maintain. If I eat 1700 I gain. Have tried this for extended periods of time. So don't try and tell me to eat more!
    I am starting to think this is me too. I net 1400 now. OP my BMR is just a wee over 1200 so we are all different. If I ate 2000 I'm fairly certain I'd blow up unless of course I earned those extra cals through working out. But I get the sentiment here I am eating more than I thought I could and still losing so it's good to play with the numbers for a while.

Finally someone here mentions BMR! Thank you!

I'm 52 and small and still can't eat as much as the bigger taller girls, it's never going to happen. Just because we are small and can't eat as much as bigger people does not mean we have eating disorders. If there are skinny girls eating too little then yes I disagree with that, but to tell a fat person who is trying to eat on a calorie deficit to eat more?? How do you know what their BMR is or their body fat % and you tell them to eat more?

I am short, petite, small; my RMR is low compared to others. With my doctors approval I had to eat less than or right around 1000 calories to lose weight. We are all different. There is no one size fits all. Even people my height and gender are different and some need more calories than I do. My doctor checked my hormone levels throughout my 60 lb weight loss journey (from obese down to 10% body fat) and everything was fine. I got stronger and stronger at the gym, my running and weight lifting strength improved even while eating on a significant calorie deficit. My DXA scan proved I did not lose lean body mass or go into starvation mode.

While you don’t have to worry about starvation mode when you have significant fat on your body, as you get closer to your goal you do need to increase your calories slightly as you get leaner as here’s why:

The Theory of Fat Availability:
    •There is a set amount of fat that can be released from a fat cell.
    •The more fat you have, the more fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •The less fat you have, the less fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •Towards the end of a transformation, when body fat is extremely low you
    may not have enough fat to handle a large caloric deficit anymore.

At the extreme low end, when your body fat cannot ‘keep up’ with the energy deficit
    you've imposed on your body, the energy MUST come from SOMEWHERE. This is
    when you are at risk of losing lean body mass during dieting (commonly referred to
    as ‘starvation mode’). This happens at extremely low levels of body fat, under 6% in
    men and 12% in women [Friedl K.E. J Appl Phsiol, 1994].

-Brad Pilon and John Barban (from The Reverse Taper Diet in The Adonis Index and Venus Index manuals)

As far as calories…What you need to eat for a deficit is relative to your RMR. If you are short you really don't have much room for up compared to the 1200. If you are taller you will have a higher RMR and can go up or down and still be in a deficit (way above 1200) so you can lose no matter what. All that matters is a calorie deficit.

To tell everyone eat more is wrong.

To tell everyone to eat less is wrong.

To find the exact amount of calories for you to be in a sustainable calorie deficit is correct. Some people can handle a deeper calorie deficit than others. Some people have emotional eating disorders and it comes into play. Even a small deficit puts your body in a state of flux with hormones and such and everyone is different.

You just need to find the correct calories for YOU to be healthy and sustainable and still lose weight. It might require some experimentation and tremendous patience. You can always notch up and down by 100 until you find what is sustainable and still allows you to lose weight.

If you have emotional eating issues than you are not going to be able to handle such a deep deficit and if you eat to low it will backfire. A better strategy is to eat at a shallower deficit, and sometimes give yourself a break from the deficit and eat at maintenance. This is not going backwards, but eating to low and then binging because you can't sustain it is going backwards. It's better to stay forwards even if it is slower. The tortoise wins this race in the end.

If you plug in all your info (typically age, gender, height and weight) into one of those calculators what you get is the average metabolic rate of a group of people who share your age, sex, height and weight. What you DON’T get is YOUR EXACT calorie needs. It's a place to start.

To find the exact calories needed for YOU to be in a healthy sustainable calorie deficit is the right answer. Wait, if you need to adjust by 100 do it, wait, adjust, wait, adjust, wait. The tortoise wins this race.

You want to eat as healthy as you can because it makes you feel better and perform better, and makes you healthier. There are a bunch of tricks and clean eating; reducing sugar (especially HFCS), fiber, white flour vs whole grain, low carb, low fat, on and on. All that matters is calories for weight loss. If you need to eat a certain way for health reasons or to feel better do it, but extensive good food and bad food lists will drive you insane at some point, it’s a constantly moving target. Just eat what you like, mostly healthy, mostly balanced, within a calorie budget. We all know what healthy is by now, just do it.

Also people play mental accounting games with calories just like with finances. Make steps to make sure you are making accurate measurements. Packaged foods can have MORE than they say but not less (they get in trouble if less so they would rather error with MORE).
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Ok so... I would LOVE to be able to eat 2,000 calories a day. I recently switched to the 1,200 calories a day plan and it's been super freaking miserable. If you look at my diary you'll see I was awesome for about 5 days, and since thanksgiving I've been on a binge. I feel like I'm a mentally stable and bright individual, but there is something I'm missing when it comes to this whole dieting thing. How are you able to eat that much and not gain? I know a lot of women that lift weights eat a lot more, but I'm a stay at home Mom and don't have time to live at the gym. Any advice????

You don't have to live at the gym. I have an 1,800 cal goal and lift ~3x a week for ~1hr doing New Rules. I'm also 5'2" and small.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Please don't eat me!

said no one..ever.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    For real.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I do what I can
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    (I'm talking about NET calories in this post)

I find that if I have 1,200 a day, I do lose weight, but quite slowly. If I eat 1400ish, I lose weight consistently and more quickly. If I eat 1600, I maintain. If I eat 1700 I gain. Have tried this for extended periods of time. So don't try and tell me to eat more!
    I am starting to think this is me too. I net 1400 now. OP my BMR is just a wee over 1200 so we are all different. If I ate 2000 I'm fairly certain I'd blow up unless of course I earned those extra cals through working out. But I get the sentiment here I am eating more than I thought I could and still losing so it's good to play with the numbers for a while.

Finally someone here mentions BMR! Thank you!

I'm 52 and small and still can't eat as much as the bigger taller girls, it's never going to happen. Just because we are small and can't eat as much as bigger people does not mean we have eating disorders. If there are skinny girls eating too little then yes I disagree with that, but to tell a fat person who is trying to eat on a calorie deficit to eat more?? How do you know what their BMR is or their body fat % and you tell them to eat more?

I am short, petite, small; my RMR is low compared to others. With my doctors approval I had to eat less than or right around 1000 calories to lose weight. We are all different. There is no one size fits all. Even people my height and gender are different and some need more calories than I do. My doctor checked my hormone levels throughout my 60 lb weight loss journey (from obese down to 10% body fat) and everything was fine. I got stronger and stronger at the gym, my running and weight lifting strength improved even while eating on a significant calorie deficit. My DXA scan proved I did not lose lean body mass or go into starvation mode.

While you don’t have to worry about starvation mode when you have significant fat on your body, as you get closer to your goal you do need to increase your calories slightly as you get leaner as here’s why:

The Theory of Fat Availability:
    •There is a set amount of fat that can be released from a fat cell.
    •The more fat you have, the more fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •The less fat you have, the less fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •Towards the end of a transformation, when body fat is extremely low you
    may not have enough fat to handle a large caloric deficit anymore.

At the extreme low end, when your body fat cannot ‘keep up’ with the energy deficit
    you've imposed on your body, the energy MUST come from SOMEWHERE. This is
    when you are at risk of losing lean body mass during dieting (commonly referred to
    as ‘starvation mode’). This happens at extremely low levels of body fat, under 6% in
    men and 12% in women [Friedl K.E. J Appl Phsiol, 1994].

-Brad Pilon and John Barban (from The Reverse Taper Diet in The Adonis Index and Venus Index manuals)

As far as calories…What you need to eat for a deficit is relative to your RMR. If you are short you really don't have much room for up compared to the 1200. If you are taller you will have a higher RMR and can go up or down and still be in a deficit (way above 1200) so you can lose no matter what. All that matters is a calorie deficit.

To tell everyone eat more is wrong.

To tell everyone to eat less is wrong.

To find the exact amount of calories for you to be in a sustainable calorie deficit is correct. Some people can handle a deeper calorie deficit than others. Some people have emotional eating disorders and it comes into play. Even a small deficit puts your body in a state of flux with hormones and such and everyone is different.

You just need to find the correct calories for YOU to be healthy and sustainable and still lose weight. It might require some experimentation and tremendous patience. You can always notch up and down by 100 until you find what is sustainable and still allows you to lose weight.

If you have emotional eating issues than you are not going to be able to handle such a deep deficit and if you eat to low it will backfire. A better strategy is to eat at a shallower deficit, and sometimes give yourself a break from the deficit and eat at maintenance. This is not going backwards, but eating to low and then binging because you can't sustain it is going backwards. It's better to stay forwards even if it is slower. The tortoise wins this race in the end.

If you plug in all your info (typically age, gender, height and weight) into one of those calculators what you get is the average metabolic rate of a group of people who share your age, sex, height and weight. What you DON’T get is YOUR EXACT calorie needs. It's a place to start.

To find the exact calories needed for YOU to be in a healthy sustainable calorie deficit is the right answer. Wait, if you need to adjust by 100 do it, wait, adjust, wait, adjust, wait. The tortoise wins this race.

You want to eat as healthy as you can because it makes you feel better and perform better, and makes you healthier. There are a bunch of tricks and clean eating; reducing sugar (especially HFCS), fiber, white flour vs whole grain, low carb, low fat, on and on. All that matters is calories for weight loss. If you need to eat a certain way for health reasons or to feel better do it, but extensive good food and bad food lists will drive you insane at some point, it’s a constantly moving target. Just eat what you like, mostly healthy, mostly balanced, within a calorie budget. We all know what healthy is by now, just do it.

Also people play mental accounting games with calories just like with finances. Make steps to make sure you are making accurate measurements. Packaged foods can have MORE than they say but not less (they get in trouble if less so they would rather error with MORE).

Thanks!